Comprehensive list of terminology/termbase file formats
Thread poster: ..... (X)
..... (X)
..... (X)
Local time: 20:33
Oct 7, 2015

Hi all,

In the same vein as this thread, I'd like to compile a list of terminology/glossary/termbase file formats.

I'll start it off and if we get a lot of good responses from this thread I'll make a resource page with all of the formats. Please keep it only to terminology/glossary/termbase files, for translation memory files p
... See more
Hi all,

In the same vein as this thread, I'd like to compile a list of terminology/glossary/termbase file formats.

I'll start it off and if we get a lot of good responses from this thread I'll make a resource page with all of the formats. Please keep it only to terminology/glossary/termbase files, for translation memory files please comment on this thread.

Please try to match the following format:

Name:
File extension:
Type: (open or proprietary)
Link(s):

NB: for purposes of this thread I define 'open' to mean that the specifications are published on the Internet and 'proprietary' if the specifications are not published.

----------

Name: TermBase eXchange
File extension: .tbx
Type: open
Link(s): TBX Specification

Name: CafeTran Glossary
File extension: .csv (tab-delimited)
Type: proprietary Note: The format is basically open; however I am not aware of a published specification. If one of the CafeTran users can point me to one I will change this to open.
Link(s): CafeTran Help - Using Glossaries

Name: Wordfast Glossary
File extension: .txt (tab-delimited)
Type: proprietary Note: The format is basically open; however I am not aware of a published specification. If someone can point me to one I will change this to open.
Link(s): Wikipedia

Name: SDL MultiTerm
File extension: .sdltb
Type: proprietary
Link(s): SDL Product Help
Collapse

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 18:33
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TMX termbases Oct 7, 2015

Kevin Dias wrote:

I think the extension for tab delimited glossary files in CafeTran is .txt rather than .csv. "Think," because I don't use them. I prefer the much more sophisticated .tmx format for terms in CafeTran.

Cheers,

Hans

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:33
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
.csv > .txt Oct 7, 2015

Kevin Dias wrote:

Hi all,

I'll start it off and if we get a lot of good responses from this thread I'll make a resource page with all of the formats. Please keep it only to terminology/glossary/termbase files, for translation memory files please comment on this thread.

Please try to match the following format:

Name:
File extension:
Type: (open or proprietary)
Link(s):

NB: for purposes of this thread I define 'open' to mean that the specifications are published on the Internet and 'proprietary' if the specifications are not published.

----------

Name: TermBase eXchange
File extension: .tbx
Type: open
Link(s): TBX Specification

Type: proprietary Note: The format is basically open; however I am not aware of a published specification. If one of the CafeTran users can point me to one I will change this to open.
Link(s): CafeTran Help - Using Glossaries

Name: Wordfast Glossary
File extension: .txt (tab-delimited)
Type: proprietary Note: The format is basically open; however I am not aware of a published specification. If someone can point me to one I will change this to open.
Link(s): Wikipedia

Name: SDL MultiTerm
File extension: .sdltb
Type: proprietary
Link(s): SDL Product Help

.csv is just how I save my glossaries in CafeTran (so I can have them opened automatically by Ron's CSV Editor). As far as I know, the official format is tab-delimited UTF-8 .txt

Michael

[Edited at 2015-10-07 12:05 GMT]

PS: In CafeTran you can also store your terminology in TMXs.

[Edited at 2015-10-07 12:06 GMT]

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 14:33
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
What is the use of this topic? Oct 7, 2015

There is an article in Wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Translation_memory

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Comprehensive list of terminology/termbase file formats

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »