Free Autosuggest dictionaries in support of our Greek colleagues
Thread poster: Siegfried Armbruster
philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Not sure what an autosuggest file is... Jul 7, 2015

... but isn't this post a thinly disguised piece of commercial advertising with a spurious connection to current events?

Magdalena Kowalska
Magdalena Kowalska  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:00
Polish to English
+ ...
Not advertising, but.. Jul 7, 2015

philgoddard wrote:

... but isn't this post a thinly disguised piece of commercial advertising with a spurious connection to current events?

They are offering a valuable linguistic resource, which people may just use in their work. Even if they don't actually translate anything directly related to the EU. This is important, because many of our fellow translators in Greece may not want to deal with the EU any more at all, and I wouldn't blame them.
I actually thought it was a well-meant act of solidarity.

Delphine Guérou
Delphine Guérou
Germany
Local time: 13:00
German to French
+ ...
What is an AutoSuggest Dictionary? Jul 7, 2015

philgoddard wrote:

Not sure what an autosuggest file is...

"AutoSuggest editing is an optional feature which can be used to speed up manual translation. AutoSuggest monitors what you are typing and, after you have typed the first few characters of a word, presents you with a list of suggested words and phrases in the target language that start with the same characters. If one of the words or phrases matches what you were about to type, you can automatically complete the word or phrase by selecting it from the list. As you continue to type the list of suggested words is continuously updated."
(see http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDL%20Trados%20Studio/client_en/Setting_Preferences/AutoSuggest/Pref_Overview_AutoSuggest.htm)

AutoSuggest dictionaries can be generated from SDLTM or TMX files. In this case, the dictionaries were created from the TMs of the European Commission’s Directorate-General for Translation. These TMs contain the whole EU legislation etc. since 2004: they are extremely big and reliable. They are actually so big that they literally require hours of converting for every single language combination and have been keeping several computers busy for days.

Maybe that's why so many colleagues, who work from or into Greek and who know what an AutoSuggest dictionary is and how useful it can be for them, decided that this "thinly disguised piece of commercial advertising" was worth having a look at and have already downloaded all the language combinations they needed.

If you feel like the Alexandria Library only considers the present situation as a way to promote its resources, well, it's too bad for you. I still recommend you to try AutoSuggest, though (not our files if it makes you feel better): I know by experience that they can really improve your speed – although I have to admit that they can also make a bit lazy as you easily get used to not typing full words anymore

Alejandro Cavalitto
Alejandro Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 08:00
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Please keep this conversation within ProZ.com's scope Jul 7, 2015

Hello,

I would like to remind everyone that ProZ.com forums are provided solely for discussions within ProZ.com's scope, as stated by forums rule #1, http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/1#1 .

With that in mind posts that include political comments, without regard to the view expressed, in this thread have been remov
... See more
Hello,

I would like to remind everyone that ProZ.com forums are provided solely for discussions within ProZ.com's scope, as stated by forums rule #1, http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/1#1 .

With that in mind posts that include political comments, without regard to the view expressed, in this thread have been removed.

Please keep this conversation within site rules. Thank you.

Best regards,
Alejandro
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Removed at poster's request.
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Reply to a hidden post.
Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Free Autosuggest dictionaries in support of our Greek colleagues

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »