Helene Olsen Richards
Helene Olsen Richards  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:27
Member (2006)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
May 17, 2012

Hi all. I am looking into upgrading my TRADOS (or a different software) version along with voice recognition software. Does voice recognition exist in other languages than English?
Can anyone give me any feedback on which program/versions they like and the current deficiencies you encounter? Thank you

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 12:27
English to German
Windows offers voice recognition May 18, 2012

Helene Olsen Richards wrote:

Can anyone give me any feedback on which program/versions they like and the current deficiencies you encounter? Thank you

I never use voice recognition. But I tried out Windows' built-in solution (German version). It works rather well - even without the proposed training. Just try it out to get a first impression of how such software works.

The performance depends on the properties (not on the price!) of the microphone & sound hardware, though.

Fabio Gutiérrez (X)
Fabio Gutiérrez (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
+ ...
Look for Dragon Naturally Speaking (DNS) May 18, 2012

Hi Helene,

I own DNS v. 9 and it has been working reasonably well within Trados 7 and Tag Editor into Spanish. Recently I have updated to Studio 2011, but I have not yet tried to integrate DNS with it.

As far as I know DNS is the most popular speech recognition software and supports a lot of languages. Maybe you'll find ou
... See more
Hi Helene,

I own DNS v. 9 and it has been working reasonably well within Trados 7 and Tag Editor into Spanish. Recently I have updated to Studio 2011, but I have not yet tried to integrate DNS with it.

As far as I know DNS is the most popular speech recognition software and supports a lot of languages. Maybe you'll find out more if you visit their website:
http://www.nuance.com/for-individuals/by-product/dragon-for-pc/index.htm

Regardless of the software you choose, I believe it takes some time until you train and fine-tune the program, and it starts being worth the money you invested on it.

Hope it helps!
Fabio
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Speech recognition May 18, 2012

The correct category for your thread is here:
http://www.proz.com/forum/speech_recognition-238.html?sp=forum&forum_id=238

I use DNS Premium v11 in FR and I have yet to find a program that doesn't work with it. I had issues with MemoQ with a previous version and a slower computer, but after upgrading software and hardware, this inconvenience se
... See more
The correct category for your thread is here:
http://www.proz.com/forum/speech_recognition-238.html?sp=forum&forum_id=238

I use DNS Premium v11 in FR and I have yet to find a program that doesn't work with it. I had issues with MemoQ with a previous version and a slower computer, but after upgrading software and hardware, this inconvenience seems to have disappeared.
Although it does make mistakes (agreements, verbs), it helps slow typists or RSI-prone people. I find it easier with DNS, but it doesn't speed up my work by 100%...

Caveat: not everybody is able to "talk" what they usually write.

Philippe
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for feedback on translation software

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »