Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: How do you feel when an email (not mass email) starts with "Hello" without your name?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 03:02
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Can’t even be sure with a name included Dec 13, 2023

As far as I know there are mass email codes/programs where X in brackets after “Dear” can be replaced with an individual name, and it’s all automated. So the recepient will believe they had been addressed individually, while they were not. But the email flair is what will really tell you if it’s a mass email.

Liena Vijupe
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Simone Linke

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
I answer..... Dec 13, 2023

..... all mails directed to me by name. I mostly don't answer mails without my name mentioned (unless I know the client). Those are probably mass emails.

The worse mails IMHO are the ones that start with 'Hi guys', they go directly into the wastebasket.

[Edited at 2023-12-13 17:22 GMT]

Lingua 5B
Kevin Fulton
Josephine Cassar

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
The worst ones Dec 13, 2023

The worst ones are “Dear linguist” and “Hello dear”, but my absolute pet peeve is Kindly reply, Kindly send, Kindly contact, anything with Kindly.

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
@5B - Tastes differ Dec 13, 2023

Lingua 5B wrote:

The worst ones are “Dear linguist” and “Hello dear”, but my absolute pet peeve is Kindly reply, Kindly send, Kindly contact, anything with Kindly.

There is no disputing about tastes.

Lingua 5B

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Dec 13, 2023

I usually think "that's a bit odd, the sender must not be a native speaker"... then shrug it off. In fact, if the e-mail is from someone I don't already know, I probably won't open it.

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:02
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Not exactly a compelling differentiator Dec 13, 2023

Samuel Murray wrote:
Some PMs remember kindness and politeness, and may as a result turn to me when they intend to send a message to a single translator.

Responding to a mass email with "kindness and politeness" isn't much of a competitive advantage though is it? It won't get you decent rates, sensible deadlines, or well-formatted source material - quite the opposite, in fact.

I don't think there's any moral imperative to respond to unsolicited emails from PMs who clearly have no clue about the people to whom they are sending emails - not even their names.

EDIT I make this point not to have a go at Samuel, whose intentions are doubtless noble, but to disabuse less experienced freelancers of the notion that they should respond to anonymous emails, and the idea that the work offered might be lucrative. They shouldn't, and it probably isn't.

Regards,
Dan

[Edited at 2023-12-14 07:08 GMT]

Michele Fauble
Kevin Fulton
Robert Rietvelt

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
I prefer... Dec 14, 2023

...to be addressed as "Hello Team" (with the somewhat better version "Hi Team!"). "Greetings of the day!" would be nice, too.
Catch of the day are emails starting with the names of my worst KudoZ rank competitors, where the sender mistook me with them (mostly with my earlier class mate who often plays tricks with my reputation behind my back) and where I can read with what prices they work (mostly with cheaper ones).

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
It's not just a commercial transaction Dec 14, 2023

Dan Lucas wrote:
Responding to a mass email with "kindness and politeness" isn't much of a competitive advantage though is it? It won't get you decent rates, sensible deadlines, or well-formatted source material - quite the opposite, in fact.

Regards,
Dan

Yet you always sign off with your name here when we already know who you are...?

I think taking the time to be polite and friendly does pay off commercially, even with the endless churn of faceless semi-illiterate minions at the big agencies. People generally smile back.

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
I suppose Dec 14, 2023

someone writing me has to start with some sort of greeting. Actually, this sort of question makes me feel as if we all we're a bit paranoid.
"Hello" is Ok in my opinion even when not followed by my name.

[Edited at 2023-12-15 09:58 GMT]

Christopher Schröder

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Dec 14, 2023

I don't get them often enough to have an opinion really. My clients all call me by my name and are invariably polite. Some of them get it wrong (Key or Kate being the most common mistakes) but it doesn't matter, it's not like my name is all that common.
If they don't use my name then I assume it's a mass mail. I'll answer quickly and politely without any expectation of getting the job, and I usually don't.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How do you feel when an email (not mass email) starts with "Hello" without your name?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »