Thread poster: Oleksandr Myslivets
Oleksandr Myslivets
Oleksandr Myslivets  Identity Verified
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Jan 15, 2013

Hello everybody!

I am wondering if anybody know how to get this feature work in linux (I have Ubuntu 12.10 installed), as there is a guide for MacOS users only on OmT web-page.

Thanx in advance.

Oleksandr

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:48
Russian to English
+ ...
What problem do you have? Jan 15, 2013

I used to use OmegaT on Ubuntu, and don't remember any special issues. Did you have a problem? Many people on the OmegaT yahoo list use Linux, notably Marc Prior, the list owner.

Oleksandr Myslivets
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No problems with OmT itself Jan 15, 2013

Hello Susan!

Problem lies in enabling Microsoft Translator feature. I can check this option in Machine Translation menu, I have registered in Azure marketpalce and got Primary Account Key and Customer ID required for MS translator API working. But I have no idea where should I input these data in OmT. Or maybe I have to launch OmT using a special script, but I don't know its content. That's what I need to know.

Thanx

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:48
Russian to English
+ ...
Microsoft Translator Jan 15, 2013

I have no idea. You got farther than I did with Azure Marketplace, etc. I doubt that this has anything in particular to do with Linux. Maybe somebody else will answer you here. Otherwise, try the yahoo users' group, http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/OmegaT , which gets more attention from developers.

Oleksandr Myslivets
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanx, Susan Jan 15, 2013

Thank you for trying to help me.

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:48
English to French
+ ...
Same as for Google Translate Jan 15, 2013

Oleksandr Myslivets wrote:
Problem lies in enabling Microsoft Translator feature. I can check this option in Machine Translation menu, I have registered in Azure marketpalce and got Primary Account Key and Customer ID required for MS translator API working. But I have no idea where should I input these data in OmT. Or maybe I have to launch OmT using a special script, but I don't know its content. That's what I need to know.

Everything needed to launch OmegaT with Google Translate applies to Microsoft Translator. The only difference are the parameters.

For Google, it's:
-Dgoogle.api.key=123456789abcdef

For Microsoft, it's
-Dmicrosoft.api.client_id=yourkey -Dmicrosoft.api.client_secret=123456789abcdef

So, basically, you can launch OmegaT with
java -jar -Dmicrosoft.api.client_id=yourkey -Dmicrosoft.api.client_secret=123456789abcdef OmegaT.jar
(everything on the same line)

Didier

Oleksandr Myslivets
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It works! Jan 15, 2013

Thank you, Didider!

Using your information I have edited the OmegaT launching script (I am using the latest OmegaT 2.6.1_2)
Now it has the following content

#!/bin/bash
# readlink follows any symbolic links to get the real file
REALOMEGATPATH=`dirname $(readlink -nf $0)`
"${REALOMEGATPATH}/jre/bin/java" -jar -Xmx512M -Dmicrosoft.api.client_id=Customer_ID -Dmicrosoft.api.client_secret=Primary_Account_Key "${REALOMEGATPATH}/OmegaT.ja
... See more
Thank you, Didider!

Using your information I have edited the OmegaT launching script (I am using the latest OmegaT 2.6.1_2)
Now it has the following content

#!/bin/bash
# readlink follows any symbolic links to get the real file
REALOMEGATPATH=`dirname $(readlink -nf $0)`
"${REALOMEGATPATH}/jre/bin/java" -jar -Xmx512M -Dmicrosoft.api.client_id=Customer_ID -Dmicrosoft.api.client_secret=Primary_Account_Key "${REALOMEGATPATH}/OmegaT.jar" $*

where one should change Customer_ID and Primary_Account_Key which are personal Primary Account Key and Customer ID available at Azure Marketplace account page after registration

I am sure, if one need to do the same in Windows, one can edit the OmegaT.bat file and change its content to the following:

java -jar -Dmicrosoft.api.client_id=Customer_ID -Dmicrosoft.api.client_secret=Primary_Account_Key OmegaT.jar %*

I have no possibility to check this out, but I think it will work. If one can and wants to try this please let us know. It will be very helpful for other collegues as there is a lack of such information.

Regards,
Oleksandr

[Редактировалось 2013-01-15 15:22 GMT]
Collapse

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:48
English to French
+ ...
Under Windows, the information is in OmegaT.l4J.ini Jan 15, 2013

Oleksandr Myslivets wrote:
I am sure, if one need to do the same in Windows, one can edit the OmegaT.bat file and change its content to the following:

java -jar -Dmicrosoft.api.client_id=Customer_ID -Dmicrosoft.api.client_secret=Primary_Account_Key OmegaT.jar %*

There's no need to. Under Windows, one just edits OmegaT.l4J.ini, where the parameters are pre-configured:
# Microsoft Translator credentials
#-Dmicrosoft.api.client_id=xxxxx
#-Dmicrosoft.api.client_secret=xxxxx

It does work (I had to test it before releasing the version).

Didier

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Linux OmT Microsoft translator howto needed

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »