Thread poster: Inas Albaba
Inas Albaba
Inas Albaba  Identity Verified
Jordan
Local time: 21:26
English to Arabic
+ ...
Mar 15, 2023

I have recently applied to a well-respected translation company (based on proz blue board) as a freelancer and have completed all the necessary steps. However, I've now been asked to provide proof of identification and am unsure whether it's safe to do so. I've never been asked for such documentation.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:26
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Make it safe Mar 15, 2023

Yes, it seems to become common practice to ask for a copy of a freelancer's ID - without providing one of the agency's employee!

You can scan your ID card or passport, but make sure that you blacken the number and all sensitive information, e. g. date and place of birth. Send it to them in a password protected PDF file that allows neither editing nor printing of the file. This should do.

If they are not satisfied with this type of file, then walk away.

Inas Albaba
Évariste Willy Noah
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Liviu-Lee Roth

Inas Albaba
Inas Albaba  Identity Verified
Jordan
Local time: 21:26
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thayenga Mar 15, 2023

Thank you for you assistance.

Thayenga

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ID proof

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »