Valentini Mellas  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 09:53
English to Greek
+ ...
Revision of the Greek localized version Jun 10, 2008

Mary Margaret O'Hara wrote:
Dear Costas,

I want to thank you for your thoughtful proposal. I think it addresses in a neutral way the concerns put forth in this forum, that: The revisions should be performed by a member or members of the Greek community, they must be accurate and professional, and preferably completed in a timely manner. A Greek university may also offer a good opportunity for translation students to get acclimated to the world of translation.
I see it as a win-win situation.

Thank you again Costas.

Maggie

Dear Maggie,

There was already a team and effort going on with regards to the review of the Greek localized version. Soledad pulled the plug on it. None of this would have happened if Soledad had not unilaterally decided to assign the review to an agency while the Greek team was working on this phase of the project. The Greek community was participating in this constructive reviewing phase and all was going well until that point. So, my proposal is : Why not let the original reviewer team continue with the work they had started as that had been the proposed solution by the Greek community?

All the agency did was change minimally some words (not for the better in some cases as spotted by the community). Additionally the agency never looked over the discussions we had within this forum with regards to terms, nor did they open KudoZ as the reviewing team had already started doing nor did they ever contact the community or anyone else on the work they were performing.

I do not see how a university team, the members of which would not be familiar with ProZ nor the whole history of the localization effort, can contribute. On the other hand I would like to point out that there are some technical aspects of the localization that would need to be fixed by ProZ before any reviewing can take place.

To clarify: At this point there is no way to get files that would be "unclean". We can get files that have the English text as locked tags, the Greek as source text and we had to open each string, copy the Greek to the target location, edit there, close the string and then at the end perform a "cleanup" to get the changes implemented (not to mention that this way there would not be a way to have a clean and updated TM for future translation efforts). This is not how reviewing should work.

Even if a person wanted to do the reviewing using the online interface, it is difficult as there is no global search and replace tool (I had pointed that one out way back when we were even just translating). This was what initially made our efforts difficult since, if members pointed out errors they found, we could not implement the changes as we had no way of knowing in what file the words reside (especially if they are used in multiple files).

Many thanks for your contribution and efforts,

Rgds
Valentini Mellas

d_vachliot (X)
d_vachliot (X)
Local time: 09:53
Greek to English
+ ...
The project should stay in the hands of the community Jun 10, 2008

I would like to make a couple of points concerning the issues raised:

1. I think it would be a shame if the Greek community, which is a very small community indeed, proved itself unable to work things out between themselves and chose to assign the project to a translation school or whatever.

2. Should it be decided to assign the editing/review of the localization to the original reviewing team, I regret to inform you that this time I will be unable to participate due t
... See more
I would like to make a couple of points concerning the issues raised:

1. I think it would be a shame if the Greek community, which is a very small community indeed, proved itself unable to work things out between themselves and chose to assign the project to a translation school or whatever.

2. Should it be decided to assign the editing/review of the localization to the original reviewing team, I regret to inform you that this time I will be unable to participate due to time constraints and other professional engagements (even though I would love to, because it's a very interesting project.)

Thank you,
Dimitris
Collapse

xxxLively Wo (X)
xxxLively Wo (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
Next step towards the revised Greek localized version Jun 11, 2008

Thank you all for your input, we will be making a decision regarding the Greek localized version of the site taking into account all of the concerns that have been expressed here in this thread. Considering that, this forum will now be locked. If you would like to actively participate in the revisions, please get in touch with me by email at: maggie at proz dot com.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Revision of the Greek localized version

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »