the Politecnico di Milano to translate or not to translate?
Thread poster: Bronagh McInerney
Bronagh McInerney
Bronagh McInerney  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:46
Member (2020)
Italian to English
+ ...
May 19, 2021

Hi, I'm just wondering whether to translate the Politecnico di Milano or not into English. Should I just put it in bold? It's for a digital marketing article. Does anyone know where I could find an up to date digital marketing glossary, please? Italian>English
Thanks

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:46
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Leave it in Italian May 19, 2021

Bronagh McInerney wrote:

Hi, I'm just wondering whether to translate the Politecnico di Milano or not into English. Should I just put it in bold? It's for a digital marketing article. Does anyone know where I could find an up to date digital marketing glossary, please? Italian>English
Thanks

I usually leave it in Italian.

Barbara Carrara
Bronagh McInerney

Anca Nita
Anca Nita
Italy
Local time: 15:46
Italian to English
+ ...
not to translateHi May 19, 2021

Hi Bronagh,

I'm not a marketing expert, but I am Italian and I wouldn't translate the name of a higher education school / uni. The academic curricula in engineering (but the same goes for humanities in unis) varies from a country to another. It just so happens that in Italy for engineering we have what we call "politecnico".

Hope that was helpful, cheers!

Bronagh McInerney

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Straight from the horse's mouth May 19, 2021

Have a look at the university's About page,

https://www.polimi.it/en/the-politecnico/about-polimi/

P.L.F. Persio
Angie Garbarino
Bronagh McInerney
writeaway
Ester Vidal

Gaetano Silvestri Campagnano
Gaetano Silvestri Campagnano  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
Specification May 20, 2021

Anca Nita wrote:

Hi Bronagh,

I'm not a marketing expert, but I am Italian and I wouldn't translate the name of a higher education school / uni. The academic curricula in engineering (but the same goes for humanities in unis) varies from a country to another. It just so happens that in Italy for engineering we have what we call "politecnico".

Hope that was helpful, cheers!

In Italy we also have the usual university faculties of engineering. If this had been the case, this term could have normally been translated into English, as it happens in every language. On the contrary, "Politecnico" is a particular Italian University, specifically related to all the branches of engineering. For example, another similar very famous institution can be found in Turin ("Politecnico di Torino"). In these cases, concerned with peculiar types of academic institutions, it is correct to leave their names untranslated.

[Modificato alle 2021-05-20 09:41 GMT]

Bronagh McInerney
P.L.F. Persio

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

the Politecnico di Milano to translate or not to translate?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »