Inside the dying art of subtitling

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Inside the dying art of subtitling".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Well yes, but... Feb 22, 2022

Almost 20 professional groups have united under the banner AudioVisual Translators Europe, a federation that aims to improve working conditions for all media translators by working with and educating European institutions and legislators.

I'm sorry. But for as long as this federation/association has no authority over the business globally, it won't be able to do much to improve the situation.

Oh, BTW...
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/14/netflix-raises-prices-in-us-and-canada-stock-pops.html

polishedwords
Thomas Connery

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:31
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Well... Feb 22, 2022

I am not a subtitler, but I’d be grateful if someone anywhere in the world was trying to move things forward. I suppose all things have to start somewhere and doing something is better than none at all…

Mr. Satan (X)
P.L.F. Persio
Josephine Cassar
Jennifer Levey
Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Thayenga

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:31
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
The URL Feb 22, 2022

The URL that matters is this one:
https://avteurope.eu

Mr. Satan (X)
Tom in London
P.L.F. Persio
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Yes Feb 22, 2022

I sincerely hope that AVTE can incorporate their goals into the EU Law, which should (fingers crossed) cause a ripple effect to the US. Especially so, since most of the major streaming services are based in there.

Samuel Murray wrote:

[Edited at 2022-02-22 09:50 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:31
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Thanks Samuel Feb 22, 2022

Samuel Murray wrote:

The original article is very interesting to read, and that link you posted also provides much food for thought, such as this quote:

"Neural translation, as impressive as it can be, is just another tool in a skilled translator’s belt. Achieving human translation quality level through post-editing often takes as much time as doing the work from scratch. But stripped of the creativity and fun. At a fraction of the price. And much added stress"

So far, that is a point that isn't getting across, but I believe that in time, it will, and there will be a renewal of interest in the work of skilled, hardworking translators.

[Edited at 2022-02-22 16:48 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio
Fiona Gonçalves
Elena Kharlamova
Mr. Satan (X)
Peter Shortall
Marilene Karam-Sakuraba

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
And Feb 22, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

Samuel Murray wrote:

The original article is very interesting to read, and that link you posted also provides much food for thought, such as this quote:

"Neural translation, as impressive as it can be, is just another tool in a skilled translator’s belt. Achieving human translation quality level through post-editing often takes as much time as doing the work from scratch. But stripped of the creativity and fun. At a fraction of the price. And much added stress"

So far, that is a point that isn't getting across, but I believe that in time, it will, and there will be a renewal of interest in the work of skilled, hardworking translators.

[Edited at 2022-02-22 16:48 GMT]

And, IMO will never be like direct human translation because the editor is psychologically conditioned by the machine translated text. Thanks Samuel, very interesting.

Tom in London
Mr. Satan (X)
P.L.F. Persio
Peter Shortall
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Teplocteur

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Subtitling howlers Mar 4, 2022

I saw a cracker last night, showing an egregious lack of cultural background knowledge and/or unseemly haste. The Australian-English soft rock duo from the 80s, Air Supply, translated into Spanish as "Erso Play"...
Come to think of it, it might have been a case of speech recognition based machine translation.

[Edited at 2022-03-04 09:42 GMT]

Mr. Satan (X)
Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Oliver Simões
Oliver Simões  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:31
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Sad exploitation Apr 23, 2022

It would be interesting to read an honest, critical essay/article about the current state of translation as a profession. I don't think it's very far from what was said about subtitling. I am so sick and tired of translation agencies requiring that I take a free test. Frankly, I don't know of any other occupation where service providers are required to take tests, let alone free tests. There was one agency offering proofreaders a meager rate of 0.011 USD per word and they also wanted candidates ... See more
It would be interesting to read an honest, critical essay/article about the current state of translation as a profession. I don't think it's very far from what was said about subtitling. I am so sick and tired of translation agencies requiring that I take a free test. Frankly, I don't know of any other occupation where service providers are required to take tests, let alone free tests. There was one agency offering proofreaders a meager rate of 0.011 USD per word and they also wanted candidates to take a test. That's unreal. I started saying no to these exploiters. Unfortunately, translators by and large are not ready to say no or draw the line. They should. There's nothing wrong to say NO to exploitation. We should value our work whether we are translators, subtitlers, reviewers, etc. Unfortunately, some folks are willing to work for almost nothing and accept anything that comes their way.

[Edited at 2022-04-23 01:43 GMT]
Collapse

Mr. Satan (X)
Ismail Afqir

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Boredom Apr 23, 2022

[yawn]

I'm bored. People keep complaining about the low rates, and yet nobody really does anything meaningful to elevate the situation.

Jorge Payan

Brian Joyce
Brian Joyce  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2022)
French to English
Union. Apr 23, 2022

Novian Cahyadi wrote:

[yawn]

I'm bored. People keep complaining about the low rates, and yet nobody really does anything meaningful to elevate the situation.

The fundamental work of any trade union is to police the industry, and make sure exploitation is stopped.
A recent case here in Britain;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-61059174

shows how impotent trade unions are in the 21st century. How can you police a global industry?
How are you going to get agencies to pay a decent rate, when they have access to cheap labour?
We need a revolution in the name of all the exploited, including textile workers in India that make the clothes we wear.

Mr. Satan (X)
P.L.F. Persio

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
@Brian Joyce Apr 23, 2022

I've been yelling at the cloud like an old madman.

... See more
I've been yelling at the cloud like an old madman.

https://www.proz.com/forum/getting_established/355988-unnecessary_annoying_zoom_meetings-page2.html#2943142
https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_news/355913-audiovisual_translation.html#2942758
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio

Brian Joyce
Brian Joyce  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2022)
French to English
Paying peanuts Apr 23, 2022

I'm not kidding. But the subtitles of a high brow contemporary Norwegian film read;
" I wasn't sick already then ".
This is a shocking example of the sorry state of the industry. If that's not bad enough, the film is about a writer.

P.L.F. Persio
Mr. Satan (X)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Inside the dying art of subtitling

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »