For matters related to payments, access to training sessions and technical issues, please submit a support request for faster assistance.
Expanding your translation business

This discussion belongs to ProZ.com training » "Expanding your translation business".
You can see the ProZ.com training page and participate in this discussion from there.

Stephen D
Stephen D
Local time: 16:45
Spanish to English
+ ...
Very informative Aug 25, 2011

Once again, a quality course from Lucia.

Mariusz Stepien
Mariusz Stepien  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 17:45
English to Polish
+ ...
Very disappointing Aug 25, 2011

The course should be renamed to "STARTING your translation business".
I would expect everyone who plans to expand their business to already have a website, networking experience and at least basic knowledge about Proz features such as Kudoz, teams oor directory.
The instructor's yawning towards the end summed it all up.

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
I'm sorry that you feel that way, but thanks for the feedback Aug 25, 2011

Hello Mariusz,

Thanks for your feedback. While it is true that some of the strategies discussed during this presentation could easily be applied when starting your career, some others (such as becoming a trainer or a mentor) are only possible and effective after a few years of experience.

Also, you should know that even professional translators with years of experience may not be totally familiar with ProZ.com basic features and a short explanation of how to use the si
... See more
Hello Mariusz,

Thanks for your feedback. While it is true that some of the strategies discussed during this presentation could easily be applied when starting your career, some others (such as becoming a trainer or a mentor) are only possible and effective after a few years of experience.

Also, you should know that even professional translators with years of experience may not be totally familiar with ProZ.com basic features and a short explanation of how to use the site and its features for networking and promotion may come in handy at any time.

Finally, I apologize if I yawned during the presentation. I certainly don't remember doing it, but I guess it's ok to be human, right?. In any case, I have seen how this presentation has helped a good number of translators over the last few months and I am very happy to be able to offer it regularly. I'm sorry that you didn't find it useful, but I'm glad to know that you are a step ahead, having applied all the strategies discussed.

Kind regards,

Lucia
Collapse

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Even if I am an "old" translator (read many years in the business) Aug 25, 2011

I find those presentations very very useful and well prepared and conducted.

Very useful also for experienced translators

I attended at least 5 of them

Thanks Lucia, great great job!

Rodion Shein
Rodion Shein  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 18:45
English to Russian
+ ...
A word of support Aug 25, 2011

I find such webinars (like Expanding Your Translation Business or Meeting Clients at ProZ.com) very useful even for experienced professionals. I don't expect to find here any magic spells that could expand my business tenfold once I whisper them. However, very often you can find some small hint that would make a great difference.

Just a small example: about five months ago I visited Meeting Clients just for fun (I felt quite confident about ProZ.com features). Even though the vast ma
... See more
I find such webinars (like Expanding Your Translation Business or Meeting Clients at ProZ.com) very useful even for experienced professionals. I don't expect to find here any magic spells that could expand my business tenfold once I whisper them. However, very often you can find some small hint that would make a great difference.

Just a small example: about five months ago I visited Meeting Clients just for fun (I felt quite confident about ProZ.com features). Even though the vast majority of information was not new to me, I learnt (and implemented later) a couple of small tips that were not quite obvious. As a result, the number of visits in my profile has significantly increased. Thus, 'for fun' turned into 'for business'.

Finally, you can never be sure how established you are: the 'starting' stage of some professionals sometimes looks much better than the 'expanded' one of some others; therefore, any name for such webinar won't be accurate enough
Collapse

Eleonora Imazio
Eleonora Imazio  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
French to Italian
+ ...
Next date Aug 26, 2011

Hi Lucia,

I could not attend the webinar so I wanted to know if you already planned other dates for this course.

Thanks,

Eleonora.

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Session will be presented during upcoming virtual conference Aug 26, 2011

Hello Eleonora,

There will be a session on "Expanding your translation business" during the ProZ.com site guidance day
 in the upcoming virtual conference week (September 26 - 30):

http://www.proz.com/virtual-conferences/group/2

You can register for t
... See more
Hello Eleonora,

There will be a session on "Expanding your translation business" during the ProZ.com site guidance day
 in the upcoming virtual conference week (September 26 - 30):

http://www.proz.com/virtual-conferences/group/2

You can register for this event here:

http://www.proz.com/virtual-conferences/group/2/register

Looking forward to seeing you there!

Kind regards,

Lucia
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Helen Shepelenko[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Expanding your translation business

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »