For matters related to payments, access to training sessions and technical issues, please submit a support request for faster assistance.
SDL Trados Studio 2009 Getting Started for Translators

This discussion belongs to ProZ.com training » "SDL Trados Studio 2009 Getting Started for Translators".
You can see the ProZ.com training page and participate in this discussion from there.

QUESTION! Aug 11, 2010

Hi, I have the following doubt:
I need to know if this is a live online course or if we can log in at any time of the day in order to attend the class. I'm really interested in doing it, but I work at the time the course is scheduled. If the course is live, there's no way I can do it. (I really never took an online course so I'm not very familiar with that.)
The support system is down and I don't know who else to contact about my question.
Thanks in advance,
V.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:43
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
It's live Aug 12, 2010

The course is given live at the specified time.
Courses are organised at different times to try to adapt to people's different hours. Maybe you should wait for one at a time that suits you.

Iza Kryjom (X)
Iza Kryjom (X)
United States
Local time: 13:43
English to Polish
+ ...
skype? Aug 18, 2010

Do I have to use a telephone? Would skype be ok for this purpose?

Soledad Azcona
Soledad Azcona  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Spanish
+ ...
You can join by VOIP or telephone Aug 18, 2010

Dear Izabela,

You can join by VOIP (mic and speakers) or a via telephone. VOIP is free, all you need is Internet connection and a headset. I recommend this as it is easier and cheap. If you don't have a microphone, it will be ok too as you can communicate with the trainer via chat.

If you prefer telephone, you will receive information all details to call in before the session to call to a telephone line. In this case telephone fees, whether you call from a landline, cellpho
... See more
Dear Izabela,

You can join by VOIP (mic and speakers) or a via telephone. VOIP is free, all you need is Internet connection and a headset. I recommend this as it is easier and cheap. If you don't have a microphone, it will be ok too as you can communicate with the trainer via chat.

If you prefer telephone, you will receive information all details to call in before the session to call to a telephone line. In this case telephone fees, whether you call from a landline, cellphone or with Skype will be on your end.

The most widely used is VOIP. This is the same system that Skype uses, so if you normally use Skype for conversations and calls you should not have any problems.

It is not compulsory to have a separate land line to participate in this session. An Internet and speakers connection are good enough to join. The telephone is needed in case if something will go wrong or if the Internet connection fails, thus the training organiser could contact you and solve the issue. Usually the telephone is not used during the trainings but it could be useful and can be used as an alternative contact method. Hope this helps and explains.

Please let me know if I can help you with anything else.

Best regards,

Soledad
Collapse

patriciabr
patriciabr  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:43
English to Spanish
13:00 GMT Aug 18, 2010

I'm sorry that I'm so bad at this, but I tried to use your time calculator and I'm sure not if I did it right. What time would 13:00 GMT would be in Washington DC? Thanks!

Soledad Azcona
Soledad Azcona  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Spanish
+ ...
Local time Aug 19, 2010

Dear Patricia,

This training starts at 9:00 am Washington DC - see: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converted.html?day=19&month=8&year=2010&hour=13&min=0&sec=0&p1=0&p2=263

You can check what time th
... See more
Dear Patricia,

This training starts at 9:00 am Washington DC - see: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converted.html?day=19&month=8&year=2010&hour=13&min=0&sec=0&p1=0&p2=263

You can check what time the course is running in your local time here: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html or set it from your profile with the link at the training page, and the training time will show in local time. You can watch this video to learn how to do so: http://www.proz.com/faq/3487#3487

Hope you enjoy your training!

Regards,

Soledad
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Helen Shepelenko[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2009 Getting Started for Translators

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »