Thread poster: bello82 (X)
bello82 (X)
bello82 (X)
Local time: 05:33
English to Italian
+ ...
Jun 11, 2021

Salve a tutti,

vorrei mandare la candidatura al Parlamento Europeo e ho visto che ci sono delle prove di traduzione dopo aver superato i test numerici e di verbal reasoning.

Il sito indica che il tempo concesso è di 90 minuti.

Qualcuno sa se alle prove di traduzione è permesso utilizzare i dizionari o no?

Qualcuno che ha fatto i test o che ci lavora già vorrebbe condividere la propria esperienza?

Thank you in advance.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
EU competitions Jun 11, 2021

My written Italian is so rusty that I prefer answering in English. I worked as staff translator for 20 years in one of the EU Institutions until I retired in 2006 and I must say that competitions have changed a lot since then. When I did my tests dictionaries were not allowed (topics were legal, political or economic in nature), but nowadays some are. You should find all the details needed in the Notice of Competition. Good luck!

bello82 (X)
bello82 (X)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
EU Competitions Jun 12, 2021

Thank you for your reply Teresa.

Wow 20 years! you must have learnt plenty of new topics and translated a lot of texts in all those years Congrats!

I'll double check the website to see if I find more information. I haven't looked thoroughly.

If dictionaries are not allowed, then the risk of failing is quite high then. If I came across one or two words I don't know then I'd be in trouble... See more
Thank you for your reply Teresa.

Wow 20 years! you must have learnt plenty of new topics and translated a lot of texts in all those years Congrats!

I'll double check the website to see if I find more information. I haven't looked thoroughly.

If dictionaries are not allowed, then the risk of failing is quite high then. If I came across one or two words I don't know then I'd be in trouble

Oh actually, I have just checked and there is some hope:

"All prohibited items (for example watches, paper and pen, books, notes, instructions, briefcases, bags, calculators, computers, laptops, tablets, mobile phones, MP3 players, cameras etc.) must be switched-off (for any items which produce sound) and left in the lockers provided. For some translation tests (where specifically mentioned in the Notice of competition), candidates are allowed to bring their own dictionaries. Please see the specific FAQ "Can I bring my dictionaries for translation tests?".

So apparently only book-form dictionaries are allowed for some translation tests. Not all doom and gloom
https://epso.europa.eu/help/faq/2855_en

Thank again Teresa

[Edited at 2021-06-12 10:26 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-06-12 10:30 GMT]
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
You're welcome Jun 13, 2021

I haven’t’ the slightest idea how many millions of words I’ve translated during those years but I must say that I learned a lot and I loved the work, my boss, my colleagues and… the pay. I often miss the camaraderie, the lunchtime chats, the teamwork and the helpdesk support! The only “problem” was the Belgian weather (one week of good weather conditions and the rest of the year it will be cold, grey, rainy and dark), but one gets used to it. Once again, good luck!

Ludovicap
Ludovicap
Germany
Local time: 06:33
German to Italian
+ ...
penso vari in base alla candidatura Jun 15, 2021

Ciao

Fino a qualche settimana fa erano aperte le candidature per diventare traduttori all'interno del DG Trad (se non erro).

Tra i test d'ingresso non risultavano però alcuni test numerici, ma solo diverse prove di traduzione verso la propria lingua madre e ulteriori test attitudinali/interviste di gruppo (in base a quanto avanti si sarebbe arrivati dopo ogni test).

Hanno fatto a riguardo an
... See more
Ciao

Fino a qualche settimana fa erano aperte le candidature per diventare traduttori all'interno del DG Trad (se non erro).

Tra i test d'ingresso non risultavano però alcuni test numerici, ma solo diverse prove di traduzione verso la propria lingua madre e ulteriori test attitudinali/interviste di gruppo (in base a quanto avanti si sarebbe arrivati dopo ogni test).

Hanno fatto a riguardo anche una plenaria con molte persone interessate (che è andata in diretta anche su Facebook) e, se non erro, tra le tante domande e risposte mi pare di aver capito che il dizionario sarebbe consentito durante le prove (ricordo che infatti i responsabili parlavano del test effettuato online in cui la webcam accesa permetteva di controllare i partecipanti per vedere se stessero ricevendo aiuti esterni a parte quelli di cui si era a disposizione, come dizionari etc.).

Non so se è lo stesso ambiente a cui ti stai riferendo te (o forse uno completamente diverso, ma sempre all'interno dello stesso organo europeo), ma a ogni modo, ti auguro un grande in bocca al lupo per questa grande avventura!
Collapse

bello82 (X)
bello82 (X)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
EU Competitions Jun 21, 2021

Teresa Borges wrote:

I haven’t’ the slightest idea how many millions of words I’ve translated during those years but I must say that I learned a lot and I loved the work, my boss, my colleagues and… the pay. I often miss the camaraderie, the lunchtime chats, the teamwork and the helpdesk support! The only “problem” was the Belgian weather (one week of good weather conditions and the rest of the year it will be cold, grey, rainy and dark), but one gets used to it. Once again, good luck!

Thank you. I really need a lot of luck!

bello82 (X)
bello82 (X)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
EU tets Jun 21, 2021

Ludovica Pizzichini wrote:

Ciao

Hanno fatto a riguardo anche una plenaria con molte persone interessate (che è andata in diretta anche su Facebook) e, se non erro, tra le tante domande e risposte mi pare di aver capito che il dizionario sarebbe consentito durante le prove (ricordo che infatti i responsabili parlavano del test effettuato online in cui la webcam accesa permetteva di controllare i partecipanti per vedere se stessero ricevendo aiuti esterni a parte quelli di cui si era a disposizione, come dizionari etc.).

Non so se è lo stesso ambiente a cui ti stai riferendo te (o forse uno completamente diverso, ma sempre all'interno dello stesso organo europeo), ma a ogni modo, ti auguro un grande in bocca al lupo per questa grande avventura!

Ciao Ludovica,

grazie per aver risposto. Sì, mi riferisco esattamente a quello. Vorrei candidarmi come traduttore però mi spaventa un pò il non poter usare il dizionario perché a 40 anni non ho una memoria pazzeca da genio. Se tutto quello che hai menzionato non è cambiato allora mi sento sollevato. Spero di non finire in bocca al lupo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Prove/test di traduzione per il Parlamento Europeo

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »