Reading is good for your health

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Reading is good for your health".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:49
Russian to English
+ ...
I think this research is slightly stretched. Dec 24, 2013

They can always get the information from TV. There are some very healthy people in many countries where the illiteracy level is around 50% or more. Actually the more some people read, the more stressed they get. For some ignorance might be the a bliss. I agree, however, that reading is essential for your intellectual development and the enjoyment of the more sublime part of life. Reading may actually help you to survive, in general, not just from the physical health point of view. Many people co... See more
They can always get the information from TV. There are some very healthy people in many countries where the illiteracy level is around 50% or more. Actually the more some people read, the more stressed they get. For some ignorance might be the a bliss. I agree, however, that reading is essential for your intellectual development and the enjoyment of the more sublime part of life. Reading may actually help you to survive, in general, not just from the physical health point of view. Many people could not live without reading. I have always read a lot -- like 150 books a year. I still read bout 50. Most people working with the language read a lot. Reading may actally not be very good for your physical health -- if you really read a lot. It makes you sit for hours, unless you can read while walking, of course. Irrespective of that, reading is still very important, but perhaps you could do some excercises once in awhile, like at least every hour or two.

[Edited at 2013-12-24 10:17 GMT]
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:49
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Slightly? Dec 24, 2013

Apparently the article does not take into account the difference between being illiterate in a country where the majority is literate and in a country where the illiteracy rate is very high…

[Edited at 2013-12-24 13:50 GMT]

maizza
maizza
Germany
Local time: 09:49
English to Romanian
+ ...
People that can read have better jobs. Dec 26, 2013

People that can read have better jobs and thus better life standards and better work-conditions than those that are illiterate. For those that read it also depends what they read.

Sadhbh
Sadhbh
French to English
Reading and obtaining information two completely different things Jan 7, 2014

A person may read a lot but have an ostrich attitude to his/her own health, and therefore reading has no effect whatsoever on the fact that he/she is ill-informed.
Similarly a lot of information is now available as video or audio presentations, provided by television or radio, and so even people who cannot read can avail of the information.
Personally reading is very good for my health, it keeps me sane. I read an average of three books a day.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I know a couple who can read themselves ill... Jan 7, 2014

They both suffer from chronic conditions. They are elderly and not very mobile, so the Internet is their main source of reading matter. They have plenty of time, so they read everything.

They are not terribly critical, and the wife at least is convinced that health service professionals are too busy to study her condition, so she knows far more about it than they do...

I don't think those two are typical, but it depends what you read!

Reminds me for some reason
... See more
They both suffer from chronic conditions. They are elderly and not very mobile, so the Internet is their main source of reading matter. They have plenty of time, so they read everything.

They are not terribly critical, and the wife at least is convinced that health service professionals are too busy to study her condition, so she knows far more about it than they do...

I don't think those two are typical, but it depends what you read!

Reminds me for some reason of this:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1021640/

Sorry I don't take all these surveys seriously.
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Where do you find the time? Jan 7, 2014

That's a question I am asked sometimes when I say that I am reading some novel, on top of working, doing a degree at university, and being a father and dog owner, but the answer is quite simple: turn off the TV and all of a sudden you find plenty of time for reading!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Reading is good for your health

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »