Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:56
French to English
+ ...
If you want to watch experts' lectures... Sep 24, 2011

Ty Kendall wrote:
Well we have Steven Pinker in the first episode, although I'm not convinved he knows what he's talking about either

Steven Pinker is extremely intelligent and knowledgeable and I think he's a very valuable asset to the linguistics community in the sense of the perspective he brings from psychology.

But... if you want to listen to Steven Pinker, remember you can always go on YouTube and listen to talks and lectures by Steven Pinker.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Hooray! Sep 24, 2011

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

I won't be watching either... I find costume dramas pretty boring and Stephen Fry, well... it's like watching paint dry...

Hooray! Giovanni, that means there are at least 2 people on the planet who have no time for (a) costume dramas (b) Stephen Fry (who is in fact a walking, talking costume drama all to himself).

LuciaC
LuciaC
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
OT: Well... Sep 24, 2011

Whether one likes Stephen Fry or not, you can't deny that he is trying to do some intelligent programmes which stand out in the total wasteland of gardening/furnishing/cooking/dancing programmes and other cheap rubbish that the BBC comes up with. An exception is BBC4 and its excellent music programmes, from classical to pop, on most Saturday nights (three hours of Pink Floyd last week were a great treat).

As for Stephen Pinker, he is not the only linguist around who writes good book
... See more
Whether one likes Stephen Fry or not, you can't deny that he is trying to do some intelligent programmes which stand out in the total wasteland of gardening/furnishing/cooking/dancing programmes and other cheap rubbish that the BBC comes up with. An exception is BBC4 and its excellent music programmes, from classical to pop, on most Saturday nights (three hours of Pink Floyd last week were a great treat).

As for Stephen Pinker, he is not the only linguist around who writes good books. The difference with the avarage academic is, he has an agent who sells him well. Same goes for a scientisti like Brian Cox, who is clever and charming, but also has a wife who is a TV producer. If you believe the newspapers, he seems to be the only physicist around...

[Edited at 2011-09-24 19:40 GMT]
Collapse

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Pinker... Sep 24, 2011

Neil Coffey wrote:

Ty Kendall wrote:
Well we have Steven Pinker in the first episode, although I'm not convinved he knows what he's talking about either

Steven Pinker is extremely intelligent and knowledgeable and I think he's a very valuable asset to the linguistics community in the sense of the perspective he brings from psychology.

But... if you want to listen to Steven Pinker, remember you can always go on YouTube and listen to talks and lectures by Steven Pinker.

I'm not questioning Pinker's intelligence or his valued contribution to linguistics, I just don't necessarily agree with him, or any of the innateness theories/theoreticians....probably more of an agnostic on the issue that's all.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
well, yes... Sep 24, 2011

Tom in London wrote:

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

I won't be watching either... I find costume dramas pretty boring and Stephen Fry, well... it's like watching paint dry...

Hooray! Giovanni, that means there are at least 2 people on the planet who have no time for (a) costume dramas (b) Stephen Fry (who is in fact a walking, talking costume drama all to himself).

don't get me wrong, I'm not denying Mr Fry's intelligence and the lot, I just find him quite irritating to watch. Can't pin-point exactly, but he is just trying to be too clever for his own sake...

Costume drama? Somebody said it was soap opera in costume... I quite agree with that... We all have different tastes, of course, but that's not my idea of entertainment. The last one I watched was "Brideshead Revisited" in 1981, and that wasn't even costume drama...

Andrea Re
Andrea Re  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
Watched half of the show... Sep 26, 2011

... and I can safely say that it was a TOTAL bore!!
I still have the other half to "enjoy"... I'll see whether to watch it or delete it.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Stephen Fry's new TV series on language

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »