Maaike van Vlijmen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:45
Member (2009)
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
May 13, 2011

Hi all

In two weeks I will register in the UK (at the moment I am still registered in the Netherlands), so I will need to open a bank account. However, from what I've heard this is quite difficult when you're a foreigner and self-employed. Since my boyfriend's name is on all the utility bills, I don't have any proof of address (yet). To save myself a bit of time, I would like to know your suggestions before I go talk to several banks. I live in Northern Ireland by the way, and I int
... See more
Hi all

In two weeks I will register in the UK (at the moment I am still registered in the Netherlands), so I will need to open a bank account. However, from what I've heard this is quite difficult when you're a foreigner and self-employed. Since my boyfriend's name is on all the utility bills, I don't have any proof of address (yet). To save myself a bit of time, I would like to know your suggestions before I go talk to several banks. I live in Northern Ireland by the way, and I intend to keep my Dutch bank account as well, since all my clients pay me in euros.
I just would like to find out at which bank it's not too difficult to open a basic account (to pay my NICs).
Many thanks in advance!
Collapse

Livia D'Ettorre
Livia D'Ettorre  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Italian
+ ...
What my husband did May 13, 2011

Maaike van Vlijmen wrote:

Hi all

In two weeks I will register in the UK (at the moment I am still registered in the Netherlands), so I will need to open a bank account. However, from what I've heard this is quite difficult when you're a foreigner and self-employed. Since my boyfriend's name is on all the utility bills, I don't have any proof of address (yet). To save myself a bit of time, I would like to know your suggestions before I go talk to several banks. I live in Northern Ireland by the way, and I intend to keep my Dutch bank account as well, since all my clients pay me in euros.
I just would like to find out at which bank it's not too difficult to open a basic account (to pay my NICs).
Many thanks in advance!

Hi Maaike,

When my husband moved to the UK, he didn't have a proof of address either. Barclays suggested to change his address and get his bank statements in the UK, so that he would have a proof of address. A bit complicated, but it worked.
Good luck!

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:45
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
My 2 pennies May 13, 2011

Maaike van Vlijmen wrote:

Since my boyfriend's name is on all the utility bills, I don't have any proof of address (yet).

Your boyfriend can add you to one of bills. AFAIK there may be up to 5 persons on a water bill, also other bills allow for more than just 1 person.

Best Regards
Stanislaw

Ramon Inglada
Ramon Inglada  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same thing here May 13, 2011

Hi Maaike,

Yes, I agree with the advice already given.

I opened a bank account 4 years ago when I moved to the UK and I just needed my passport and proof of address in the UK (I used a utility bill and my rental agreement). If you don't have any bills under your name, as Stanislaw suggested you should be able to add your name to any existing bills with your boyfriend's name.

This documentation was enough for me to open a basic account with Santander, but I
... See more
Hi Maaike,

Yes, I agree with the advice already given.

I opened a bank account 4 years ago when I moved to the UK and I just needed my passport and proof of address in the UK (I used a utility bill and my rental agreement). If you don't have any bills under your name, as Stanislaw suggested you should be able to add your name to any existing bills with your boyfriend's name.

This documentation was enough for me to open a basic account with Santander, but I don't know if the process is that simple with other banks.

Good luck with everything!

Ramon
Collapse

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Italian to English
Example May 13, 2011

In case it's helpful, here are my bank's requirements (Lloyds TSB):

I do not have a current account with Lloyds TSB.
I am aged 18 or over.
I am a UK resident.
I am an EU national OR I have permission to stay in the UK for at least 12 months.

What you'll need:
Your income details, including your pension and investments if relevant.
Details of any benefits you may receive.
Details of your addresses and postcodes for the last 3 yea
... See more
In case it's helpful, here are my bank's requirements (Lloyds TSB):

I do not have a current account with Lloyds TSB.
I am aged 18 or over.
I am a UK resident.
I am an EU national OR I have permission to stay in the UK for at least 12 months.

What you'll need:
Your income details, including your pension and investments if relevant.
Details of any benefits you may receive.
Details of your addresses and postcodes for the last 3 years.
Your employer’s address if relevant.

No mention of utility bills.

https://secure.currentaccounts.lloydstsb.com/ltsbaccountopening/Wizard.aspx?w=LTSB&account=classic&urn=AL20005967237
Collapse

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to English
+ ...
Banks in the UK May 13, 2011

The only two UK banks I am aware of that do not charge for accepting euro transfers are HSBC and Santander. I have Dutch bank accounts and can transfer up to 50,000 euros without incurring any costs.

You might find this information useful when selecting a bank in the UK.

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
First Direct too May 13, 2011

Marijke Singer wrote:

The only two UK banks I am aware of that do not charge for accepting euro transfers are HSBC and Santander. I have Dutch bank accounts and can transfer up to 50,000 euros without incurring any costs.

You might find this information useful when selecting a bank in the UK.

First Direct doesn't charge for incoming euro transfers either, as long as you pay a certain amount into the account each month, or have another of their products (savings accounts, mortgage, etc.). I switched from NatWest last summer and have been very impressed. They also offer a better exchange rate for incoming transactions than NatWest used to. They are part of the HSBC group so I imagine HSBC is the same.

Rad Graban (X)
Rad Graban (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Slovak
+ ...
HMRC correspondence May 14, 2011

Once you register as self-employed you will receive your UTR through the post. Any correspondence from HMRC with your name and address on it is usually accepted by banks as a proof of address.

R.

Maaike van Vlijmen
Maaike van Vlijmen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2009)
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! May 14, 2011

Thank you all for your valuable suggestions and ideas! I appreciate it!

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Opening a bank account in the UK

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »