What can Multi-Term do for me?
Thread poster: Karina Perry (X)
Karina Perry (X)
Karina Perry (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:59
English to Danish
+ ...
Aug 10, 2006

I have TRADOS 5.5 and it always say that it want Multi-Term open in order to work, but what do I use Multi-Term for?

I translate between Danish and English (both ways) so none of the examples in the tutorial are any good for me.

I mean, I have survived fine without, but am wondering if it should be able to help me in some way.

Thanks

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:59
Swedish to English
+ ...
You are missing out Aug 11, 2006

In over-simplistic terms, Trados Workbench is for segments, the Concordance for phrases, and MultiTerm for glossaries of words.

An example of why MultiTerm is useful -- one of my customers has provided an Excel spreadsheet of approved terminology, words that must be translated in specific ways in their documents.

I have loaded this into MultiTerm, and now whenever one of the words appears in the source text, the appropriate target word is displayed, and a simple keystro
... See more
In over-simplistic terms, Trados Workbench is for segments, the Concordance for phrases, and MultiTerm for glossaries of words.

An example of why MultiTerm is useful -- one of my customers has provided an Excel spreadsheet of approved terminology, words that must be translated in specific ways in their documents.

I have loaded this into MultiTerm, and now whenever one of the words appears in the source text, the appropriate target word is displayed, and a simple keystroke will move that word into my translation -- even quicker than copying and pasting.

You can also create your own glossaries of terms and load them into MultiTerm. In Trados version 7 you can also run a fuzzy search for words from within MS Word, and you can add new terms to MuotiTerm, again straight from Word.

Like all translation tools, it takes time and effort to learn how to handle it and get the best out of it. But I certainly find it is worth the effort. Boosts my productivity, both in quantity and quality.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What can Multi-Term do for me?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »