De persoon die dit onderwerp heeft geplaatst: Ala Rabie
Ala Rabie
Ala Rabie  Identity Verified
Egypte
Local time: 19:52
Japans naar Arabisch
+ ...
May 16, 2006

I am moving one of my machinery to the beta and pre-release versions of Windows Vista and Office Suite 12--always updated. Four days ago, I had SDL Trados 2006 installed to check if it would work with Office 12.

Well, obviously it didn't! (why would I post in here if it did...
See more
I am moving one of my machinery to the beta and pre-release versions of Windows Vista and Office Suite 12--always updated. Four days ago, I had SDL Trados 2006 installed to check if it would work with Office 12.

Well, obviously it didn't! (why would I post in here if it did ) Anyway, I think the new technology in the upcoming Office (not new new, but rather extended) i.e. XML, and the ambiguous fate of macros as well as the 97-2003 addons would make it very demanding to have a new minor/major version of SDL/Trados by the end of the year when the new Office hits the market.

Until then, which CAT tool would be compatible with Office 12? Anyone done tests/researches on the matter before?
I am still to test some other applications in a couple of days though...

~Ala
alamnesis.com
Collapse

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
Verenigd Koninkrijk
Local time: 17:52
Vlaams naar Engels
+ ...
Early bird sale May 16, 2006

A bit off-topic : The release of a new version of windows and office has been always a good starting-point for other software manufacturers to update their programmes too. I would not be surprised if after the release of the new version of Windows and Office, you will see a Trados/Sdl (TGB) early bird sale of a version compatible with the new Microsoft products. It was SDL, who localised those products...

[Edited at 2006-05-16 07:35]

Haiyang Ai (X)
Haiyang Ai (X)  Identity Verified
Verenigde Staten
Local time: 11:52
Engels naar Chinees
+ ...
Cost May 16, 2006

I'm thinking about the cost of such a combination of Windows Vista + Office 2007 + SDLX (compatible).

Williamson
Verenigd Koninkrijk
Vlaams naar Engels
+ ...
Voice-recognition tool May 20, 2006

About 1000 $. One thing you will not have to buy any more is a voice-recognition tool. Reading through Microsofts' specifications, I found that Ms.integrated voice-recognition in several languages into Ms.Vista.
Now, let's be good "professionals" and don't forget to give a discount when you have to say exactly the same word twice (Trados-logic).

[Edited at 2006-05-20 08:26]

Han Li
Han Li  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 00:52
Engels naar Chinees
+ ...
It can work. May 22, 2006

Hi,
I setup the pre-release versions of Office Suite 12, it can work with SDL Trados 2006(demo).
I can use all the function of TW4win toolbar.
By the way, when you setup the pre-release versions of Office Suite 12, you can select to remain all the former office application(office11 /office10).

Regards,
Han Li

Williamson
Verenigd Koninkrijk
Vlaams naar Engels
+ ...
Migration tool May 23, 2006

I was wondering if Microsoft Vista has a migration tool from XP to Vista? Or do you have to reinstall everything.

Ala Rabie
Egypte
Japans naar Arabisch
+ ...
ONDERWERPSTARTER
Looks like I have to re-test everything on a fresh install. May 23, 2006

I was wondering if Microsoft Vista has a migration tool from XP to Vista? Or do you have to reinstall everything.

Well, Williamson, all that I know is Vista has a backward compitability. Your question might as well be paraphrased to whether or not can we upgrade XP to Vista. Since Vista's code is based on WS'03, I think there will be no trouble upgrading--I have never tried it though.

By the way, I believe the price would farly surpass 1,000 USD. Given that SDL Trados 2006 is 895 USD, Vista 99 USD, and Office 12 is 499 USD, a load of 1,500 USD would be reasonable to get the latest technologies.

~Ala
alamnesis.com

Williamson
Verenigd Koninkrijk
Vlaams naar Engels
+ ...
Multi-User Interface and Spelling Correction May 25, 2006

I have the English version of Office 2003 and two disks with multi- language user interfaces (MUI) in various languages.
Those MUI's contain spell-checkers.
What happened to those in Office 12. I guess that every version of Office is based upon the previous one, but that seperate features are included in the next version. Is this the case with Office12?
I also give MsOffice-training and would still be able to switch from the English version to French, German and Dutch.
... See more
I have the English version of Office 2003 and two disks with multi- language user interfaces (MUI) in various languages.
Those MUI's contain spell-checkers.
What happened to those in Office 12. I guess that every version of Office is based upon the previous one, but that seperate features are included in the next version. Is this the case with Office12?
I also give MsOffice-training and would still be able to switch from the English version to French, German and Dutch.

[Edited at 2006-05-25 18:32]
Collapse

Martin Fernandez Cufre
Martin Fernandez Cufre  Identity Verified
Argentinië
Local time: 18:52
Engels naar Spaans
+ ...
Vista USD 99 ?!?!? and Word 2007 May 26, 2006

First of all, I wonder where on Earth did you get an idea of a USD 99 price for Windows Vista?!?!? Of course we'd have to specify which version of Vista one would want, but I'm pretty sure that for USD 99 you wouldn't get much of Vista...

About Word 2007, it used my Trados 7.5 toolbar, but what I cannot do is use the alt+"+" or alt+"*" combinations, the keyboard shortcuts... and it seems to work with some errors, and VERY slowly.

On other lines, some time ago my Trados
... See more
First of all, I wonder where on Earth did you get an idea of a USD 99 price for Windows Vista?!?!? Of course we'd have to specify which version of Vista one would want, but I'm pretty sure that for USD 99 you wouldn't get much of Vista...

About Word 2007, it used my Trados 7.5 toolbar, but what I cannot do is use the alt+"+" or alt+"*" combinations, the keyboard shortcuts... and it seems to work with some errors, and VERY slowly.

On other lines, some time ago my Trados menu disappeared completely from my Word 2003 screen. I get the toolbar, I can use the keyboard shortcuts, but the menu disappeared!!! (and with it, the "Fix document" options).

And just a comment about currency rates so you can pity us here at Argentina... right now and for some time, the USD-to-ARS rate is of approx 3 pesos per dollar, but we earn approximately the same "amount" of money... I mean that for example if an average wage in the US is USD 1000, here it is ARS 1000, but imported things are 3 times more expensive, so a notebook computer here costs approximately ARS 6000, when the same computer in the US costs USD 2000. The Windows XP system, for example, here costs ARS 1200... heheh and they complain then about pirated copies!!!

cheers!!
Collapse

Ala Rabie
Egypte
Japans naar Arabisch
+ ...
ONDERWERPSTARTER
Broken link May 26, 2006

Here is the link again, Martin:
http://www.edbott.com/mediacenter/archives/putting-a-price-on-windows-vista/

It is all rumors so far since Microsoft has announced nothing yet.

You may simply google "windows vista price OR pricing" and you shall find many hits on the topic.
<
... See more
Here is the link again, Martin:
http://www.edbott.com/mediacenter/archives/putting-a-price-on-windows-vista/

It is all rumors so far since Microsoft has announced nothing yet.

You may simply google "windows vista price OR pricing" and you shall find many hits on the topic.

~Ala
alamnesis.com
Collapse

julienwp (X)
julienwp (X)
Frankrijk
Local time: 18:52
Engels naar Frans
It works! May 28, 2006

Until then, which CAT tool would be compatible with Office 12? Anyone done tests/researches on the matter before?
I am still to test some other applications in a couple of days though...

~Ala
alamnesis.com

Trados is already compatible:

DOCX files are simply ZIP files containing various XMLs.
The translation process is exactly the same as for OpenOffice and Star Office (before SDL Trados 2006 which supports these formats):
1. Open the *.DOCX file with WinZip
2. Locate a file named document.xml in the /WORD/ subdirectory
3. Open this file in TagEditor (you have to create a docx-specific DTD)
4. Translate/Save target
5. Using WinZip, update the file (a simple drag and drop should work)

Tada!

Regards

Julien

Williamson
Verenigd Koninkrijk
Vlaams naar Engels
+ ...
Macro May 30, 2006

If you want to do a cut and paste in word, you get an reply that this is not allowed because of safety settings.
To change them, you have to go to the security center.
I did that, clicked allow all macros, but to no avail?
Does anybody have a solution.
---
By the way, Frontpage is finished. No Frontpage 2007

LinguaLab.net
LinguaLab.net
Verenigd Koninkrijk
Engels naar Noors
+ ...
Any updates on this? Jun 13, 2006

I downloaded the Office 2007 Beta yesterday, and am now struggling to meet my deadlines because it runs incredibly slowly with Trados (SDL Trados 2006). Has anyone found out how to speed this up? I foolishly chose the upgrade installation method, so I am not sure I will be able to uninstall the Beta...

Ala Rabie
Egypte
Japans naar Arabisch
+ ...
ONDERWERPSTARTER
Deadlines! Jun 13, 2006

Roll it back, lingualab! Do not repeat my mistkate ^^;

I hope you still have the Office 2003 CD. Uninstall Office 2007, then fresh-install Office 2003 with only the options you would need, and mark the rest as 'install on first use'.

Time does not permit experiments!

~Ala
alamnesis.com

lingualab wrote:

I downloaded the Office 2007 Beta yesterday, and am now struggling to meet my deadlines because it runs incredibly slowly with Trados (SDL Trados 2006). Has anyone found out how to speed this up? I foolishly chose the upgrade installation method, so I am not sure I will be able to uninstall the Beta...

Pagina's in het onderwerp:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL/Trados + Office 2007?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »