Thread poster: Nesrin
Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:52
English to Arabic
+ ...
Apr 18, 2006

I've been trying to import an Excel glossary (successfully converted using Multiterm Converter) into an existing Multiterm termbase. The existing termbase has English as the source language and Arabic as the target language. There are no further fields. The same with the glossary I want to import into that termbase.

In Multiterm 7, I followed the Import steps under "Process", but got the following message in the end:

"Multiterm encountered irregularities during import.
... See more
I've been trying to import an Excel glossary (successfully converted using Multiterm Converter) into an existing Multiterm termbase. The existing termbase has English as the source language and Arabic as the target language. There are no further fields. The same with the glossary I want to import into that termbase.

In Multiterm 7, I followed the Import steps under "Process", but got the following message in the end:

"Multiterm encountered irregularities during import. Please check the information in the log file".

I checked the log file, and this is the relevant message I found (listed for each individual entry:

Does not conform to the target termbase definition.
Reason:
Source: language type="ENGLISH" lang="EN-GB">

Total entries processed: 0

Does anyone know what I may have done wrong?
Thank you very much in advance!

Nesrin

[Edited at 2006-04-18 21:24]
Collapse

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Swedish to English
+ ...
Two suggestions Apr 18, 2006

I have had the same error message in the log file after trying to import an Excel glossary, and there were two reasons:

1/ My language definitions were not exactly the same. For example, if you are feeding in
but the existing definition is slightly different, e.g.
Source: language type="ENGLISH" lang="EN-UK">
you will get that error message.

2/ If the languages you can use in Multiterm are, for exa
... See more
I have had the same error message in the log file after trying to import an Excel glossary, and there were two reasons:

1/ My language definitions were not exactly the same. For example, if you are feeding in
but the existing definition is slightly different, e.g.
Source: language type="ENGLISH" lang="EN-UK">
you will get that error message.

2/ If the languages you can use in Multiterm are, for example, Arabic and English, and the top row of the two columns in your Excel spreadsheet says ARABIC ENGLISH, it will also fail. You might think that because the log file shows the language type in capitals (ENGLISH in the example above) that capitals should be allowed. Not so, it seems.

For all its virtues I wish somebody would write a book called "Trados annoyances".
Collapse

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
THANK YOUUU! Apr 18, 2006

Thank you Peter!

It was indeed the fact that in one glossary, the column headers were "English" and "Arabic", while in the other, they were "ENGLISH" and "ARABIC" (caps).

Unbelievable!

Nesrin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiterm "encounters irregularities during import"

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »