Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:07
English to Arabic
+ ...
Apr 14, 2006

Hi all,

A similar problem has been discussed before, http://www.proz.com/post/307039 - I think it may be exactly the same problem I'm having - but Maciej didn't seem to find the answer he needed, so I thought I'd post it again in the hope that someone can help.

I have successfully converted a large Excel glossary using MultiTerm Convert, creating an xcd and an xml file (I know it
... See more
Hi all,

A similar problem has been discussed before, http://www.proz.com/post/307039 - I think it may be exactly the same problem I'm having - but Maciej didn't seem to find the answer he needed, so I thought I'd post it again in the hope that someone can help.

I have successfully converted a large Excel glossary using MultiTerm Convert, creating an xcd and an xml file (I know it was successful because I got a message telling me that the conversion of 2600 entries was successful, and when I opened the xml file I could actually see them).

I then went to SDL Multiterm, created a new Termbase by loading the termbase definition file which I had created. The 2 languages of the bilingual glossary were listed as Index Fields. I skipped the "Descriptive Fields" step as I don't have descriptive fields. The Termbase creation wizard was complete.

I then clicked on Termbase Catalogue -> Import -> Create, and selected the xml file as the import file. Under "Process import entry as follows" I selected "Add import as new". That wizard was complete.

But.... the termbase was empty. What have I done wrong?? I think I've followed the Multiterm manual as much as I could - any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Nesrin

[Edited at 2006-04-14 13:21]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:07
English to German
+ ...
Process Apr 14, 2006

Hi Nesrin,

I then clicked on Termbase Catalogue -> Import -> Create, and selected the xml file as the import file. Under "Process import entry as follows" I selected "Add import as new". That wizard was complete.

...but it only created the import definition (which, strictly speaking, wasn't necessary, as the termbase definition is based on the very same content). Use Process to execute the import.

The Help function lists the different buttons and their functions.

HTH, Ralf

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:07
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
THANK YOU! Apr 14, 2006

Thank you so much Ralf, I thought I had a major problem, but it was just me being an absolute beginner.

Nesrin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems converting/importing Excel glossary using Multiterm 7

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »