Stability of TagEditor 7 Freelance on PC for Mac
Thread poster: Karin Schrijvers
Karin Schrijvers
Karin Schrijvers  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:07
English to Dutch
+ ...
Apr 11, 2006

I have been offered a job in TagEditor, but am worried about taking it on. Whenever I work in TagEditor the entire PC application regularly decides to shut down and restart without any explanation. I am thinking of buying a PC notebook to be able to accept this job. Could anyone tell (or even guarantee?) me whether running TagEditor on a PC would really be more stable?

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:07
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
It is very stable Apr 11, 2006

TM does not shut down (with only very slight exceptions).
Tageditor sometimes shuts down without any reason. And what is worser - it does not write ANY backups! But luckilly it does not happen very often.
But as TM remains open, you can easily retrieve the translation from there.

Altogether Trados is very stable, used with Windows XP.

Regards
Jerzy

Karin Schrijvers
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How often does it shut down? Apr 11, 2006

At the moment I am having to deal with at least 6 crashes in an hour. When you mention that TE shuts down without backups, could you give me any idea how often this happens. Is it once or twice a day or more or less? Thank you!

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
It depends Apr 11, 2006

but usually once a week or less, unles you do something what Tageditor does not like.
In my case it shuts down due to file/program errors only in very rare cases. Nevetheles, if I´m typing fast (and I cannot type blinldy, so I´m making a lot of typos) and have a typo and wish to undo the last acition, but hit the "ALT+BACK" shortcut more than once at the same time or hit "ALT+BACK+something", it can cause Tageditor to close.
Workbench does not have errors, which bring it to close -
... See more
but usually once a week or less, unles you do something what Tageditor does not like.
In my case it shuts down due to file/program errors only in very rare cases. Nevetheles, if I´m typing fast (and I cannot type blinldy, so I´m making a lot of typos) and have a typo and wish to undo the last acition, but hit the "ALT+BACK" shortcut more than once at the same time or hit "ALT+BACK+something", it can cause Tageditor to close.
Workbench does not have errors, which bring it to close - this happens perhaps once a year for some reason.

Once again - Trados is very stable.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:07
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
TagEditor 7.1 is very stable (at least with WinXP/ MS Office XP) Apr 11, 2006

Hi Karin,

TagEditor is IMHO the best part of Trados It has freed me from the many MSWord hicups and it crashes only when I use thoughtless CTRL+Z or a wrong key a couple of times.

Actually, during the past 4 months only two times, each time my mistake.

Giuliana

Karin Schrijvers
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Are you using Win XP on a PC? Apr 11, 2006

Thank you both for your answers. But before I make up my mind I was wondering if you could confirm that you are running Trados on a PC and not on PC for Mac? As I am deciding whether to invest in a PC I need to know for sure that buying one will solve my issues.

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I´m using a PC Apr 11, 2006

with Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2.
The PC plattform does not matter at all, you can go for both Intel and AMD - this makes no difference.
You can also use Windows XP Home. I don´t know about Windows XP Media Edition, but it should be ok too.

I think any PC/notebook with Windows XP you can buy today will suit.

Regards
Jerzy

Dyran Altenburg (X)
Dyran Altenburg (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:07
English to Spanish
+ ...
Windows-enabled Macs Apr 11, 2006

Has anybody been successful at using Trados/TagEditor/Multiterm on a Mac with Windows?

--
Dyran
(who can't wait to get rid of the PCs)

Karin Schrijvers
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Success with Trados on Mac Apr 11, 2006

I have been successful using Workbench on a PC for Mac for the past 5 years. It is TagEditor that I am having problems with at the moment. If this wasn't an issue I would not even contemplate buying a PC...

Dyran Altenburg (X)
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Then again... Apr 11, 2006

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

If it were really stable, there wouldn't be so many issues and cries for help on the forums.

I only use Trados for one of my clients. Everyone else get their translations done in DéjàVu (talk about stability and great customer service).

--
Dyran
(who charges extra when required to use TagEditor and/or Multiterm)

[Edited at 2006-04-11 16:07]

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You are mixing things up Apr 11, 2006

Dyran Altenburg wrote:

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

If it were really stable, there wouldn't be so many issues and cries for help on the forums.

I only use Trados for one of my clients. Everyone else get their translations done in DéjàVu (talk about stability and great customer service).

--
Dyran
(who charges extra when required to use TagEditor and/or Multiterm)

[Edited at 2006-04-11 16:05]

You are lucky if you can charge more. But this does not matter here at all. And all those cries for help do not (mostly) have anything to do with the stability of the program itself.
Look at Word XP - this is a very stable, very common program. And it is really good. But if you would evaluate it according to the number of help cries here and on other fora, you would mean it is very bad.
Let me say that in this way: any machine is as good as the human, who is using it.

Regards
Jerzy

Dyran Altenburg (X)
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
'Round the mulberry bush Apr 11, 2006

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
Let me say that in this way: any machine is as good as the human, who is using it.

You know I was not talking about the hardware.

You also know that not all software is stable, regardless of the proficiency of the user. I'm surprised you would say something like this.

Going back to Trados, there are known bugs and incompatibility issues that just can't be solved at this time.

Compare to the relatively fewer issues in DéjàVu.

That's what I'm talking about.

--
Dyran

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
My vote: Trados TagEditor is *very* stable Apr 11, 2006

There are quite a few things I do not like about Trados and TagEditor, but instability is not among them: in a few years of intensive use, it had never collapsed and let me down (I cannot say that about MS Word, even though that situation was much improved with the XP version).

I hardly ever use TagEditor for real work now, only for occasional checking whether ttx files I send out (processed by another tool) are OK. This does not mean I would persuade anyone to stop using i
... See more
There are quite a few things I do not like about Trados and TagEditor, but instability is not among them: in a few years of intensive use, it had never collapsed and let me down (I cannot say that about MS Word, even though that situation was much improved with the XP version).

I hardly ever use TagEditor for real work now, only for occasional checking whether ttx files I send out (processed by another tool) are OK. This does not mean I would persuade anyone to stop using it, though. We all have our personal preferences, don't we? No need to start pushing forward software I take for more useful or firendly.

Antonin
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
DéjàVu was not in question here Apr 11, 2006

Dyran Altenburg wrote:

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

You know I was not talking about the hardware.

You also know that not all software is stable, regardless of the proficiency of the user. I'm surprised you would say something like this.

Going back to Trados, there are known bugs and incompatibility issues that just can't be solved at this time.

Compare to the relatively fewer issues in DéjàVu.

That's what I'm talking about.

--
Dyran

And I'm using Tageditor on daily basis - with variuous file types. I admit, there are issues. I admit also, that I do not know anything about DéjàVu and how stable it is. Nevertheless, if I compare Tageditor with other software (ie Framemaker, Pagemaker, Transit Satellite, Corel Draw) I do not see any difference in the stability.
The real problem of Tageditor is the missing backup function, as whe it crashes one has to start from the last manually saved version. And you cannot save, when a TU is open, so you need to close the TU first, then save and then start over again. This is quite uncomfortable.
Trados issues reported here are mostly not software caused - and this was what I was addressing, nothing more. And I do know that not all software is stable - to be honest I think there is no absolutly stable software at all. Even the highly beloved Mac does hang, and this quite often. QXP for Mac does crash, Frame and Pagemaker for Mac do crash - and this even very often. I learned to live with such issues.

Best
Jerzy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Stability of TagEditor 7 Freelance on PC for Mac

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »