david angel (X)
Local time: 14:53
French to English
+ ...
Apr 11, 2006

Tag Editor in Trados 6.5
Excel 2000
Windows 98 SE

Hi. Last night, I tried using TagEditor for the first time with a very simple Excel file. After translating, I tried using Save Target As, but the resulting Excel file, although containing some translated text after the = sign, was otherwise empty - or appeared to be. Maybe I am just not very experienced with Excel files, or its a problem with TagEditor. Can anyone help? I would be very grateful.
David Angel.

Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:53
Member (2003)
German to French
doublon Apr 11, 2006

Oups, sorrry :-/

[Edited at 2006-04-11 11:21]

Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
German to French
The "equal" sign Apr 11, 2006

Hi David,

I had a similar problem once, and the "equal" sign was the troublemaker.
Your Excel file should have no cell beginning with =, as TagEditor interprets this to be a formula and can not handle this.

To avoid any problem, before converting/translating your file, replace any = sign with another sign you can well remind of (e.g. a $ or *), then translate your file normally and save it as target.

And don't forget to replace back the $ or * with =
... See more
Hi David,

Your Excel file should have no cell beginning with =, as TagEditor interprets this to be a formula and can not handle this.

To avoid any problem, before converting/translating your file, replace any = sign with another sign you can well remind of (e.g. a $ or *), then translate your file normally and save it as target.

And don't forget to replace back the $ or * with = once you got the final target file!

Hope it can help!

Regards,
Sylvain
Collapse

david angel (X)
david angel (X)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Merci Apr 11, 2006

merci, Sylvain. Je vais l'essayer.

david angel (X)
david angel (X)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
New info Apr 11, 2006

Sylvain Leray wrote:

Hi David,

And don't forget to replace back the $ or * with = once you got the final target file!

Hope it can help!

Regards,
Sylvain

david angel (X)
david angel (X)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
New Info Apr 11, 2006

Thanks for the help.

Maybe I should be more specific. I don't see any = sign in the original text, except as the Edit Formula Button at the top of the Excel sheet.
I assume I can't change that.
When I save the file in Tag Editor with Save Traget As the resulting file contains nothing except a line of target language text after the = sign (ie Edit Formula Button.)
I may be just dumb or (more likely) inexperienced with both Excel and Tag!

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Moving the topic... Apr 11, 2006

...to SDL Trados Support - please use this forum to post topics related to SDL and/or Trados.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using Save Target As in TagEditor with excel files

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »