Help with unclean file request (non-Trados user)
Thread poster: Nicole Y. Adams, M.A.
Nicole Y. Adams, M.A.
Nicole Y. Adams, M.A.
Australia
Local time: 16:54
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
Mar 9, 2006

Hello,

This might be silly question but if a client asks for the unclean file (which was not agreed beforehand) after you have completed the translation, and you did it manually without CAT-Tool, as it was short and simple, and then imported source and target text into your CAT Tools TM, what are the options to help out the client?

I do not use Trados but Across, even though I am not an expert on it. Is there a way to get an unclean file out of the Across TM?

... See more
Hello,

This might be silly question but if a client asks for the unclean file (which was not agreed beforehand) after you have completed the translation, and you did it manually without CAT-Tool, as it was short and simple, and then imported source and target text into your CAT Tools TM, what are the options to help out the client?

I do not use Trados but Across, even though I am not an expert on it. Is there a way to get an unclean file out of the Across TM?

Alternatively they would accept an Excel file but I am uncertain what needs to be put in that as well?

As this is my first encounter with a request for an unclean file (as a non-Trados user), please bear with me.

Thanks in advance,

Nicole
Collapse

Rebecca Lowery
Rebecca Lowery  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:54
French to English
In trados you can winalign the source and target text Mar 9, 2006

I've never used Across so can't say if there is a similar feature but in Trados you can winalign the source and target text, this creates a .txt file and you can just send the txt file to the client who can then import that into their memory.

You say that you've already imported the source and target text into your translation memory - did this create a file which you then had to import into your memory as if so you could try sending them that.

Hope this is of some hel
... See more
I've never used Across so can't say if there is a similar feature but in Trados you can winalign the source and target text, this creates a .txt file and you can just send the txt file to the client who can then import that into their memory.

You say that you've already imported the source and target text into your translation memory - did this create a file which you then had to import into your memory as if so you could try sending them that.

Hope this is of some help!
Collapse

Kirsty Mason
Kirsty Mason  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:54
German to English
Re-translate with CAT tool? Mar 9, 2006

Hi Nicole,

I am not familiar with Across so am not sure this will help. It also depends on the original file format (Word doc?)

If using Trados in this situation, if the document really is short and simple, you could simply take the original and re-translate it using the memory. Seeing as the texts are already in your memory, this should take no time at all.
This would result in the usual perception of an 'unclean' file (if using Word).

Otherwise, yo
... See more
Hi Nicole,

I am not familiar with Across so am not sure this will help. It also depends on the original file format (Word doc?)

If using Trados in this situation, if the document really is short and simple, you could simply take the original and re-translate it using the memory. Seeing as the texts are already in your memory, this should take no time at all.
This would result in the usual perception of an 'unclean' file (if using Word).

Otherwise, you could export the text from your memory to a .txt file (or Excel as suggested), which the client can import into their memory. (Probably as well as your final version).

- You'd have to ensure that you only send the client this translation, not the entire contents of your memory (- which can usually be done by adding a time/date filter to your export).
The procedure in most tools (in the memory) goes something like File - Export - Export to (Excel, tmx, txt, etc) - Then set filters (only texts translated between X times on Y date) - and voila, you have your memory export.

This would work for other tools, I don't know the specifics of Across but hope it may make some sense.

Kirsty
Collapse

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 08:54
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Does Across export TM to tmx? Mar 9, 2006

If yes, I can give you an Excel macro that imports a tmx file to Excel.

Antonin

Marie-Céline GEORG
Marie-Céline GEORG  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:54
German to French
+ ...
Nothing agreed beforehand Mar 10, 2006

Hi,
If nothing was agreed beforehand, I'd say that you are not complied to give an uncleaned file the client didn't ask for in the first place. They can align source and target in his own system very easily - especially if the file is short and simple.

I hope that you'll manage to settle this problem rapidly.
BR
Marie-Céline GEORG

Nicole Y. Adams, M.A.
Nicole Y. Adams, M.A.
Australia
Local time: 16:54
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Apr 10, 2006

Thanks for all your replies and tips. I managed to export the file from Across and I sent it to the agency even though it wasn't agreed beforehand.

I will be a bit more careful next time.

Thanks,

Nicole

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with unclean file request (non-Trados user)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »