Check with Xbench 2.9: How do you want to open this file?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 15:58
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Apr 13

Check with Xbench 2.9: How do you want to open this file? Look for an app in the Microsoft store.

Why is this displayed and why doesn't Xbench just launch when I click on the icon in SDL Trados Studio 2022? I checked already that Xbench is activated (there is a checkmark in the checkbox).

Xbench is a Studio add-in and should have launched as a normal application when I clicked on the icon.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:58
English to Russian
Xbench plugin Apr 13

Have you installed a new plugin for your version of Trados (by the way, what is your version number? Is it SR2, 19084?) and Xbench itself on your computer?

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
There is a checkmark before the option Xbench29Plugin in the window Plug-ins Apr 13

There is a checkmark before the option Xbench29Plugin in the window Plug-ins, under Activate or deactivate plug-ins. But then, under Xbench 2.9 Plugin Help, it says this:

... The XBP file type (that is the Xbench project file extension) must have a correct association with the Xbench application. Otherwise, the Xbench will not be started. ...

Does that mean I have to manually create an association between the XBP file type and the Xbench application?

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Do you have Apr 13

XBench installed on you computer? If not, the plugin will not work.

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Xbench the main application is not installed Apr 13

I thought it was just to launch the plug-in by double-clicking it. So I need to download and install the main application then.

If I install from here, will the build 474 for version 2.9 work with my plug-in version 2.9?:

https://www.xbench.net/index.php/download

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
I haven't used XBench since several years Apr 13

But as far as I remember, the plugin simply launches XBench (if installed) and you work there. Nothing more than that.

Stepan Konev

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Why using the plug-in for version 2.9 when it will lag behind the newer versions of Xbench? Apr 13

Why using the plug-in for version 2.9 when it will lag behind the newer versions of Xbench?

It seems that the latest version of the plug-in is 2.9 whereas the latest version of Xbench is 3.0. Probably the best is to forget about using the plug-in and just check the .sdlxliff file externally directly from Xbench 3.0.

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
It is up to you, of course Apr 13

In any case, you need to install XBench 2.9 (non-unicode and free) or buy XBench 3.0 or later.

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's the good reason to install the older version then Apr 13

Thanks for reminding me, that's the reason to install the older version of course - it will be free and not just a time-limited trial.

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nothing happens when I click the icon for Xbench in SDL Trados Studio Apr 14

Even though I can QA check the .sdlxliff file externally directly in the Xbench application, it would have been convenient to be able to do the QA check from within SDL Trados Studio by clicking the icon for Xbench in SDL Trados Studio. But when I do that now, while having the .sdlxliff file opened in the SDL Trados Studio editor window, nothing happens. No error message or anything, but nothing happens when I click the icon.

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Most probable reason of such behavior Apr 14

is that you have installed first the plugin and then XBench itself. This should be done in the opposite order. Try removing the plugin and reinstalling it again, this should help.

On the other hand, the plugin isn't that helpful at all. It is much better to simply open the translated xliff in XBench without any plugin.

Aurélien ARPAZ
Aurélien ARPAZ
German to French
+ ...
Only with Xbench 3.0 Apr 14

The Xbench plugin works only with the Xbench 3.0 application installed. See:

https://www.xbench.net/index.php/download

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:58
English to Russian
Xbench 2.9 plugin Apr 14

The correct plugin for Xbench 2.9 is here: https://appstore.rws.com/Plugin/2

[Edited at 2024-04-14 11:08 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Check with Xbench 2.9: How do you want to open this file?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »