Thread poster: Rita Rocha
Rita Rocha
Rita Rocha
Portugal
Local time: 06:51
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Nov 12, 2005

Can anyone help me with these terminology? I'm a newbie in this subject, but I might begin working as a subtitler or a translator for subtitles. If I am asked to do a SDH Translation, what I am supposed to do? And what about QC Tiff and red checks? In my opinion it is by talking with professionals that we, the beginners, can learn most things and I have already learn a lot by reading this forum. You have been a great help.

lim0nka
lim0nka  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
SDH Nov 12, 2005

SDH stands for Subtitling for the Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing.

I have never heard of QC Tiff and Red Checks, but let's hope
someone knows what they are and how to deal with them.

Anetta

[Edited at 2005-11-12 20:15]

anulka
anulka  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 08:51
German to Polish
+ ...
QC Tiffs and red checks Nov 12, 2005

Rita Rocha wrote:

Can anyone help me with these terminology? I'm a newbie in this subject, but I might begin working as a subtitler or a translator for subtitles. If I am asked to do a SDH Translation, what I am supposed to do? And what about QC Tiff and red checks? In my opinion it is by talking with professionals that we, the beginners, can learn most things and I have already learn a lot by reading this forum. You have been a great help.

Hi Rita!

Seems like this terminology refers to Softitler (one of the subtitling companies).

QC Tiffs - After the file has been translated, proofed, and accepted by the translator, the file is converted into the final Image format that will be burned onto a DVD.
The translator has to do an Image Quality Check in order to find any conversion errors that may have occurred when the file was converted from the UNS format into the Image format. The translator also reads through the Image file to check for spelling errors, missing accents, extra spaces, unusual characters, or any unusual detail in a subtitle.

Red checks - Quality Control Department goes through the translated file. If they find any technical errors or if there are changes to the English file, they will send the translation back to the translator with red checks in the boxes that need to be fixed.

If you work for this company, you will receive a manual, where you will find everything you need to know.

Hope it helps

[Edited at 2005-11-12 23:48]

Rita Rocha
Rita Rocha
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot... Nov 13, 2005

... for your help, I really believe these kind of forums are a great help for the beginners.
Yes, Ania, you're right, these words are in the translations rates of Softitler. I have passed their tests and I am about to begin working for them. I kind of freaked out when I saw that terminology, but apparently there's nothing to be afraid of. It's good to know they give us extra help by "teaching" with main things.

... See more
... for your help, I really believe these kind of forums are a great help for the beginners.
Yes, Ania, you're right, these words are in the translations rates of Softitler. I have passed their tests and I am about to begin working for them. I kind of freaked out when I saw that terminology, but apparently there's nothing to be afraid of. It's good to know they give us extra help by "teaching" with main things.

Thanks you very much,
Rita
Collapse

Sylwia Lubkowska
Sylwia Lubkowska
English to Polish
A couple of other Softitler terms: Rematch & Correlation Nov 22, 2005

Hi,

I was wondering if someone knew what stands for terms 'rematch' and 'correlation' in the context of subtitling?
Your help will be greatly appreciated, thanks a bunch!

Yoanna
Yoanna  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:51
English to Polish
+ ...
Rematch Nov 22, 2005

Rematch is when you get the English file and translation into the target language but you have to match the lines of the subtitles.

Yoanna
Yoanna  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:51
English to Polish
+ ...
Manual Nov 22, 2005

P.S. - It's all in the Softitler manual, anyway

Cristiana Coblis
Cristiana Coblis  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 08:51
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
correlation Nov 22, 2005

It's about the same as rematch. You need to check that the language file coincides with the English or source one.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDH Translation, QC Tiff ans red Checks

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »