Thread poster: Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 01:14
English to Italian
Feb 10, 2022

Hi there

If you are, like me, one of those not swallowing the new chaotic interface of TO3000 3D (nor the similar interfaces of similar tools) consider that having TO3000 v11 working under Windows 10 (and possibly 11 but I cannot test it) is possible

My first move was setting all EXEs as an admin, and use the Windows 10 compatibility tool to simulate Windows 7 or 8 but it was not enough

I set then permissions of all EXEs to "write", NOT JUST to "read" data
... See more
Hi there

If you are, like me, one of those not swallowing the new chaotic interface of TO3000 3D (nor the similar interfaces of similar tools) consider that having TO3000 v11 working under Windows 10 (and possibly 11 but I cannot test it) is possible

My first move was setting all EXEs as an admin, and use the Windows 10 compatibility tool to simulate Windows 7 or 8 but it was not enough

I set then permissions of all EXEs to "write", NOT JUST to "read" data, and now TO3000 v11 works

The only major feature I am still unable to make working is the "Restore backup option", while the Backup option works well
so my next move will be adding to the "Restore backup option" "special" permissions, or to check permission of the folder where backups are put into

Well, I found some time now to do some test: unfortunately I forgot to apply changes one at a time, so I cannot tell what of the 2 changes made the "Restore backup option" working...

I went to TO3000Admin.exe, then right clicked on it, went to Sicurezza (in English it is Security tab maybe) and I set permissions to "write" to all Users and groups found in the window

I suspect this is the key, but as I said I did another change, i,e. I white-listed all EXEs in BitDefender Advance Threath Defense, so I cannot be sure about the culprit

If I find other time, I'll try to remove the white-listed EXEs in BitDefender Advance Threath Defense and let you know

And, considering the v11 license can be still be bought, I hope AIT devs don't hate me for this post

[Edited at 2022-02-10 12:08 GMT]
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Claudio Feb 10, 2022

The restore backup function does not work in case you have several backup files in the folder but it works absolutely fine if the backup file you want to use is the single file in some folder.

Just make some folder, copy your backup file there and point TO3000 that folder.

Natalia
P.S. I use the 3D version since several years, but as far as I remember, the behavior of the restore function was the same in v.11

[Edited at 2022-02-10 12:22 GMT]

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
EXEs must never ever be written into Feb 10, 2022

Claudio Porcellana wrote:

I went to TO3000Admin.exe, then right clicked on it, went to Sicurezza (in English it is Security tab maybe) and I set permissions to "write" to all Users and groups found in the window

I suspect this is the key, but as I said I did another change, i,e. I white-listed all EXEs in BitDefender Advance Threath Defense, so I cannot be sure about the culprit

EXEs must never ever be written into.

So, either xour change in Bitdefender was the solution (I suspect this) OR the programmer of TO used a very dirty trick.

Just watch the "changed date" of the EXEs after using TO. If the date remains unchanged, nobody modified the files. If nobody tries to modify a certain file, the write permission of that file has no effect.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:14
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
I hate the 3D version (switched to LSP.expert) Feb 10, 2022

Hi there

I set then permissions of all EXEs to "write", NOT JUST to "read" data, and now TO3000 v11 works

The only major feature I am still unable to make working is the "Restore backup option", while the Backup option works well
so my next move will be adding to the "Restore backup option" "special" permissions, or to check permission of the folder where backups are put into

Well, I found some time now to do some test: unfortunately I forgot to apply changes one at a time, so I cannot tell what of the 2 changes made the "Restore backup option" working...

If I find other time, I'll try to remove the white-listed EXEs in BitDefender Advance Threath Defense and let you know

And, considering the v11 license can be still be bought, I hope AIT devs don't hate me for this post

[Edited at 2022-02-10 12:08 GMT]

I gave up on AIT long ago, and indeed, the 3D version is even worse. I (happily) switched to LSP.expert long ago: https://lsp.expert/

screen_en

Michael

[Edited at 2022-02-10 13:03 GMT]

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Italy
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
In case you still love Translation Office v11 but your Windows 10/11 doesn't Feb 10, 2022

EXEs must never ever be written into. OR the programmer of TO used a very dirty trick

I wrote nothing into the EXE
I just changed the permission of certain EXEs to write into folders, and it has nothing to do with the EXE itself, that remains un-altered, but with the OS

I also removed exceptions from Bit Defender and the Restore feature still works, so the culprit is Windows 10, not BD

And TO3000 devs did not do any trick IMHO, because the v11 is very old release (2014) and they state it doesn't work with latest Windows releases

[Edited at 2022-02-10 15:14 GMT]

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Italy
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
In case you still love Translation Office v11 but your Windows 10/11 doesn't Feb 10, 2022

Natalie wrote:
The restore backup function does not work in case you have several backup files in the folder but it works absolutely fine if the backup file you want to use is the single file in some folder.

I didn't have several backup files in the folder, but just one
But the problem is different: the Restore feature doesn't work in Windows 10 because this OS has more stringent rules about permissions for users etc.

I also removed exception from Bit Defender and the Restore feature still works, so the culprit is the OS, not BD

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Italy
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER

I gave up on AIT long ago, and indeed, the 3D version is even worse. I (happily) switched to LSP.expert long ago: https://lsp.expert/

Thanks for suggestion: I looked at this online tool, and others, but I dislike any online tool

for example, about one month ago the ADSL in Italy was down for a couple of days: how could I possibly do some urgent admin task these days? YUK

For the same reason, I have one gazillion of references/dictionaries indexed in my PC (and redundant backups on external HDs) becasue I just don't rely on the cloud

call me dino, I don't take offence LOL

Recep Kurt

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Understanding file access permissions in Windows 10 Feb 10, 2022

I wrote nothing into the EXE

I fear you didn't understand me. If X (= any software, that is run explicitely by you or not) needs a permission in order to work, this means that X tries to use that permission and fails. But no X should ever write into an EXE file.

I just changed the permission of certain EXEs to write into folders, and it has nothing to do with the EXE itself, that remains un-altered, but with the OS

In your first posting you used a different description: "I went to TO3000Admin.exe, then right clicked on it, went to Sicurezza (in English it is Security tab maybe) and I set permissions to "write" to all Users and groups found in the window".

Anyway, on that tab Windows 10 provides only permissions to "write" resp. to "change" but not to "write into folders". There is no such feature. "write" and "change" on that tab DO refer to the EXE file itself.
There is a "protect certain folders" feature in Win 10, but that's a totally different thing.

Maybe there is a non-Microsoft tool installed that adds the feature you described ...

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Italy
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER

[quote]Rolf Keller wrote:
"I went to TO3000Admin.exe, then right clicked on it, went to Sicurezza (in English it is Security tab maybe) and I set permissions to "write" to all Users and groups found in the window".
[quote]

Yes, and those permissions to "write" to all Users and groups are given by MS Windows 10

In other words, I actually forced MS Windows 10 to let the software dropping the Restored database in the DB folder, something that was impossible to do before: that's all and worked

Some infos here
https://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/change-file-permissions-windows-10/

cheers

[Edited at 2022-02-10 18:15 GMT]

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Understanding file access permissions in Windows 10 #2 Feb 11, 2022

"I went to TO3000Admin.exe, then right clicked on it, went to Sicurezza (in English it is Security tab maybe) and I set permissions to "write" to all Users and groups found in the window".
(...)
In other words, I actually forced MS Windows 10 to let the software dropping the Restored database in the DB folder, something that was impossible to do before: that's all and worked

No, no, and no. The permissions given to TO3000Admin.exe allow users (resp the software run by them) to write into the TO3000Admin.exe file. Never ever such permissions allow or forbid any dropping any other file to any folder.

That link confirms what I explained and thus contradicts your explanations. Actually, this is absolute basic knowledge, reflecting a principle well-known for more than 50 years. Windows adopted it from Unix.

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Italy
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
In case you still love Translation Office v11 but your Windows 10/11 doesn't Feb 11, 2022

Dear Rolf

in my case worked and maybe the same workflow will be useful for others that want using v11 under Windows 10
If you don't like it, just don't follow it

auf Wiedersehen!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

In case you still love Translation Office v11 but your Windows 10/11 doesn't

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »