Local time: 19:28
English to French
+ ...
Nov 19, 2021

Hi all,
Just came across two options that I liked to open idml files:

Affinity Publisher:
https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/publisher/
This is a great option: it opens very well idml files, it’s slick and easy to use and it costs 54.99 USD it’s a one-time purchase, so no subscription fees.
Note that it opens idml very, very well but can’t save in id
... See more
Hi all,
Just came across two options that I liked to open idml files:

Affinity Publisher:
This is a great option: it opens very well idml files, it’s slick and easy to use and it costs 54.99 USD it’s a one-time purchase, so no subscription fees.
Note that it opens idml very, very well but can’t save in idml format. You can export changes you made in the idml to pdf (excellent result) or save in the Affinity proprietary format (afpub; NB: no CAT tool is capable of translating an afpub at the moment).

Scribus
This is a free software. To open idml files you need to be above version 1.5.5 (it’s in the “development candidates” not the sable branch).
https://www.scribus.net/
You’ll have to get it from source forge.
Ii does open idml files, but some complex high-quality objects are not rendered as well as in the original. However, the text is intact from what I’ve seen so far.
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Platary (X)
Silvia Pellacani

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Trial? Nov 20, 2021

Philippe Locquet wrote:

Affinity Publisher:
Note that it opens idml very, very well but can’t save in idml format. You can export changes you made in the idml to pdf (excellent result) or save in the Affinity proprietary format (afpub; NB: no CAT tool is capable of translating an afpub at the moment).

That almost sounds too good to be true  ;). I've asked for a trial.

Philippe Locquet

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Nice Nov 21, 2021

Thank you for the suggestion. I've downloaded and tested a trial of Affinity Publisher on macOS Big Sur and I could check the translated IDML file. Very nice. I'll probably buy a license.

Philippe Locquet

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 19:28
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
cool! Nov 21, 2021

German Dutch Engineering Translation wrote:

Thank you for the suggestion. I've downloaded and tested a trial of Affinity Publisher on macOS Big Sur and I could check the translated IDML file. Very nice. I'll probably buy a license.

I'm glad you found it useful!
I think I saw a message somewhere where they were advertising a Black Friday sale, maybe they'll have a discount.

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 20:28
German to Swedish
+ ...
Great Nov 23, 2021

Affinity makes extremely impressive, sleek, modern, ultra-fast software.
Within 2-3 years Affinity will do to Adobe what Adobe did to Quark 20 years ago.

Not quite there yet, though.

[Bearbeitet am 2021-11-24 00:08 GMT]

Philippe Locquet
Hans Lenting

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Current price (Black Friday promotion) Nov 24, 2021

Bought a license today at € 31.40 (ex. VAT).

Philippe Locquet

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Open idml in other app

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »