Beware, colleagues! (Nigerian scammers impersonate outsourcers from Finland)
Thread poster: Mónica Algazi
Mónica Algazi
Mónica Algazi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 18:34
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
Jan 23

Last Saturday, I received through ProZ a message from someone allegedly representing the University of Helsinki. He was impersonating Antti Savoianen, a prestigious member of the university staff. The message itself, Mr Savoianen's photo, the contract with the logo of the university, and even the payment gateway looked so authentic, that I decided to accept their interesting and presumably rewarding translation project.
Let me alert you: it is a sophisticated fraud aimed at getting all yo
... See more
Last Saturday, I received through ProZ a message from someone allegedly representing the University of Helsinki. He was impersonating Antti Savoianen, a prestigious member of the university staff. The message itself, Mr Savoianen's photo, the contract with the logo of the university, and even the payment gateway looked so authentic, that I decided to accept their interesting and presumably rewarding translation project.
Let me alert you: it is a sophisticated fraud aimed at getting all your personal information and the details of your bank account.
Collapse

Peter Motte
Dalia Nour
Paola Giardina
Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 23:34
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Just next Nigerian scammer Jan 23

Hi Monica,

This 'Antti Savolainen' is just next Nigerian scammer: his IPs are 197.210.84.22 and 102.211.96.139.

Profile removed, email address blocked.

Peter Motte
Dalia Nour
Paola Giardina

Quentin NEVEN
Quentin NEVEN  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (Jan 2024)
English to French
+ ...
Stupid scammers Jan 23

When will that stop ?

Mónica Algazi

Peter Motte
Peter Motte  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Never Jan 23

Never.

[Edited at 2024-01-24 12:40 GMT]

Wolfgang Schoene
Dalia Nour
Mónica Algazi

Arne Krueger
Arne Krueger
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Imagine... Jan 23

...a Nigerian sitting in his hut and thnking about impersonating an academic from Finland. THAT is a new level. ^^

Christopher Schröder
Matteo Rozzarin
Mónica Algazi

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
'Antti Savolainen' reincarnated into ' Maria Elon' Jan 24

After removal of his profile fake 'Antti Savolainen' has reincarnated into fake 'Maria Elon' using an email [email protected]

Profile removed, email blocked.

Paola Giardina

Mónica Algazi
Mónica Algazi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Confirmed Jan 24

The University of Helsinki has just confirmed the fraud.
"Dear ...
We regret to inform you that there has indeed been a fraud: The University of Helsinki has never sent the translation offer. Someone is pretending to use our contact information trying to cheat people, which we have reported to the Finnish Police. So unfortunately we don't have translation work to offer. Please accept our apologies for the false message and report the message / number as a fraud in your e-mail system
... See more
The University of Helsinki has just confirmed the fraud.
"Dear ...
We regret to inform you that there has indeed been a fraud: The University of Helsinki has never sent the translation offer. Someone is pretending to use our contact information trying to cheat people, which we have reported to the Finnish Police. So unfortunately we don't have translation work to offer. Please accept our apologies for the false message and report the message / number as a fraud in your e-mail system / phone.

Ystävällisin terveisin / Med vänlig hälsning / Kind regards
Piia Huttunen

Arkisto ja kirjaamo / Arkivet och registraturen / Archives and Registry"

It takes all kinds...
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Zea_Mays
Quentin NEVEN
Paola Giardina

veronicaes
veronicaes
Member (2012)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Further contact through Whatsapp and a "contract" Jan 24

I received the same email, followed by a contact through WhatsApp, and then followed by a PDF contract to sign offering money for translation services. Be careful.

Paola Giardina

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 16:34
English to Russian
+ ...
Indeed, beware Jan 25

That a prominent professor representing major foreign university, who has never heard of you before, will NOT come to your door out of the blue, throwing a fat fully prepared contract with your name in it and a prearranged payment method. Not just without a single previous contact in any form but blissfully unaware if you are dead or alive at the moment.

Really, guys... Christmas is too far away.

Paola Giardina
Paola Giardina  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I got the same message!!! Antti Savolainen from the University of Helsinki Jan 25

SCAM ALERT
Hello, I got the same message.
And I answered.

"I represent an institute in finland called the university of
helsinki you can read more about us
here https://www.helsinki.fi/. We are looking for
freelancers who have passion for languages to
work with us remotely as a part time translator . As a part
time translator your role will involve
t
... See more
SCAM ALERT
Hello, I got the same message.
And I answered.

"I represent an institute in finland called the university of
helsinki you can read more about us
here https://www.helsinki.fi/. We are looking for
freelancers who have passion for languages to
work with us remotely as a part time translator . As a part
time translator your role will involve
translating school materials from English to Spanish. Salary
range is between 500 to 2500 usd
weekly depending on the workload of the week. if interested
kindly apply
https://forms.gle/CLcVcv2xpSfvjxGg7. Also let me know when
you are done so i can inform the
hr department about your application

-----------
Autor: Antti Savolainen
Perfil del autor: http://www.proz.com/profile/3917329
Dirección IP del autor: 105.113.63.54"
-----------

Today I got a message vía WhatsApp from Antti, and It sounded so weird. I blocked and reported the Phone number.

Please, take care!
Collapse

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Antti Savolainen again - United States, native in: English Jan 26

Antti Savolainen has just resurrected: this time he claims to be located in the USA and his email is [email protected]

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
New reincarnation: claudie873gm Jan 27

claudie873gm from the United States
Email: [email protected]

Elías Sauza
Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 15:34
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same message received Jan 28

Let's just keep in mind: Is it too good to be true?

Regards,

ES

Juan Pablo Mejía
Juan Pablo Mejía
Colombia
Local time: 16:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
My experience with the same offer Feb 9

I was also contacted the same way, in my case through Upwork, a freelancers platform. Even tho it all seemed very suspicious to me even from the start, I decided to keep going until a huge red flag popped up (request for personal info or funds that are not needed for normal payments). I signed the contract and worked on the translation of a handbook for 5 days, which made me think it might be actually true, as I didn't expect a scam to be so elaborate to even make me work (or at least I HOPED so... See more
I was also contacted the same way, in my case through Upwork, a freelancers platform. Even tho it all seemed very suspicious to me even from the start, I decided to keep going until a huge red flag popped up (request for personal info or funds that are not needed for normal payments). I signed the contract and worked on the translation of a handbook for 5 days, which made me think it might be actually true, as I didn't expect a scam to be so elaborate to even make me work (or at least I HOPED so). After I sent in the work, they took an hour to "review" it and then sent me 1940 USD on the platform they decided upon, https://zaydacare.org, there's not much info about it online, but the few info I could find was referring to it being a phising entity and it's also worth remarking that they didn't give me the chance to choose any other, as I obviously would've chosen a trustworthy method such as paypal, payoneer, etc.

I tried withdrawing those funds to my bank account and it asked me for the normal info for an international transfer, then it was taking over a day but I assumed it was normal for an international transaction, especially the first one, but then the person who I was talking to about the job told me directly to go contact them cause it shouldn't take that long; when I did, their response was that I had to deposit 15% of the transfer into the platform so they could "verify my bank", which meant I had to deposit 291 USD just to be able to withdraw the money, something I had never seen before in any other payment platform. So this is as far as I went, I tried asking them for other ways of autentification or asking my "project manager" to help me out referring this to the payment section and perhaps sending me the money required for authentification directly to my account, but everything was denied and I was told I simply had to do it, the person even told me "mine was good cause back then they had to do 25%", which ultimately gives away the fraud completely.

To close it off, just wanna tell y'all to be safe out there, I'm bewildered by the fact that some people actually go through so much to scam someone, so don't get caught off guard.
Collapse

Arne Krueger

Arne Krueger
Arne Krueger
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Sad story Feb 9

Period!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Beware, colleagues! (Nigerian scammers impersonate outsourcers from Finland)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »