Thread poster: Alex Wang
Alex Wang
Alex Wang
Local time: 14:05
English to Chinese
+ ...
Nov 29, 2023

Hello everyone,

This is for the outsourcers using this site. I am wondering whether any of you have run into a similar situation.

I received two Japanese translator applications to one of my posted jobs. Both claimed that they are Japanese living in Japan. However, when I sent them the payments through PayPal, I noticed that both of them use the same PayPal account name though different email addresses that goes to a Vietnamese person in Vietnam. When I asked them, both
... See more
Hello everyone,

This is for the outsourcers using this site. I am wondering whether any of you have run into a similar situation.

I received two Japanese translator applications to one of my posted jobs. Both claimed that they are Japanese living in Japan. However, when I sent them the payments through PayPal, I noticed that both of them use the same PayPal account name though different email addresses that goes to a Vietnamese person in Vietnam. When I asked them, both of them gave me the same response: I am traveling in Vietnam right now. I suspect that this Vietnamese person is a fraudster in the sense that he bids for these jobs and outsources them.

I don’t mind outsourcing the projects to a translation agency; however, just like everyone of you, I definitely want honest relationships, not someone pretending to be someone else.

The other problem is that I noticed a lot of issues with the delivered translations. They seem to be low quality though I don’t speak the language because of the obvious errors.

I am wondering:
1. Does proz.com have a mechanism to report people like this?
2. Should I even pay the second person for the second job?

I would appreciate any input from my colleagues.

Thank you for your time

Alex
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 21:05
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
No Nov 29, 2023

No, if you concluded it was a fraudster: 1) do not pay them and 2) collect the evidence, especially the translation error evidence. But you need to have strong arguments, meaning the error(s) needs to be in the major category (serious mistranslation etc.).

ProZ has some mechanisms but you need to do your due diligence either way.

You may also open a support ticket on ProZ, report all this and their IP address or similar.

Too many schemers and fraudsters on
... See more
No, if you concluded it was a fraudster: 1) do not pay them and 2) collect the evidence, especially the translation error evidence. But you need to have strong arguments, meaning the error(s) needs to be in the major category (serious mistranslation etc.).

ProZ has some mechanisms but you need to do your due diligence either way.

You may also open a support ticket on ProZ, report all this and their IP address or similar.

Too many schemers and fraudsters on all sides of the business.
Collapse

Yolanda Broad
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
expressisverbis
Robert Rietvelt
Thayenga
P.L.F. Persio
Évariste Willy Noah

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possible Fraudster?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »