Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Is it appropriate for a translation agency to ask you to upload a copy of your passport?
Thread poster: Alessandra D'Onghia
Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:20
Japanese to English
+ ...
Copy of passport Oct 3, 2023

This has happened several times with potential clients. I handled the matter as follows. I copied the main page of the passport, drew a thick diagonal line across my photograph and blacked out the last several digits of my passport number, thereby ensuring that it could not be used for nefarious purposes. I never heard from "agencies" again. Also, for US citizens, never, EVER give your social security number to anyone. Even in the US with reputable companies, only the last four digits of the SSN... See more
This has happened several times with potential clients. I handled the matter as follows. I copied the main page of the passport, drew a thick diagonal line across my photograph and blacked out the last several digits of my passport number, thereby ensuring that it could not be used for nefarious purposes. I never heard from "agencies" again. Also, for US citizens, never, EVER give your social security number to anyone. Even in the US with reputable companies, only the last four digits of the SSN are required for identification. I had a brouhaha with an Irish "agency" several years. First, I got a request from their "Mumbai office" for my SSN which I declined. Then I got the same request from their "Minnesota office". I declined. When I asked why they wanted my SSN, they said they needed it to "prevent money laundering". (People may contact me for the name of this Irish "agency" if they want). Stealing SSN is rampant in this hemisphere and SSN can be sold for many hundreds of dollars.Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:20
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Not yours Oct 4, 2023

Note: your passport is not your property. It belongs to the state that issued it. You are not at liberty to provide details of it to third parties.

expressisverbis
IrinaN

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it appropriate for a translation agency to ask you to upload a copy of your passport?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »