Thread poster: Libero_Lang_Lab
Libero_Lang_Lab
Libero_Lang_Lab  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:41
Russian to English
+ ...
Apr 11, 2003

Can\'t quite believe that this former great striker - still an icon at Celtic - has been reduced to appearing on the Portuguese version of Big Brother. How the mighty have fallen. Can anyone tell me what went wrong? Or indeed how he acquitted himself on the show. Would I also be right in thinking he has been trying to make it as a popstar? He was always a bit wild, and definitely had the hairstyle, but this comes as a bit of a surprise, all the same.

Dan

Vanessa Marques
Vanessa Marques  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Cadete appeared in the CELEBRITY Big Brother Apr 11, 2003

Hi Dan!

Cadete appeared in the CELEBRITY Big Brother (and swtiched girlfriends in the process...) and not in the \"regular\" show. It\'s funny that he became such a star in Celtic. I know he was the top scorer in the Scottish League at the time but he\'s not a \"BIG\" star over here and he was never a top player (even though he thinks so and made it to the national squad alongside Figo and Rui Costa, but that was because we had no one else ...
See more
Hi Dan!

Cadete appeared in the CELEBRITY Big Brother (and swtiched girlfriends in the process...) and not in the \"regular\" show. It\'s funny that he became such a star in Celtic. I know he was the top scorer in the Scottish League at the time but he\'s not a \"BIG\" star over here and he was never a top player (even though he thinks so and made it to the national squad alongside Figo and Rui Costa, but that was because we had no one else ). As for his hairstyle, he\'s a totally different man today! No more big funny curls! I must admit I couldn\'t recognize him at first!
Collapse

Vanessa Marques
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
one more thing I forgot Apr 11, 2003

Quote:

Or indeed how he acquitted himself on the show. Would I also be right in thinking he has been trying to make it as a popstar? He was always a bit wild, and definitely had the hairstyle, but this comes as a bit of a surprise, all the same.

Dan

I don\'t think he tried to become a popstar (although his new girlfried is trying to REstart her pop career). Do you really think he us... See more
Quote:

Or indeed how he acquitted himself on the show. Would I also be right in thinking he has been trying to make it as a popstar? He was always a bit wild, and definitely had the hairstyle, but this comes as a bit of a surprise, all the same.

Dan

I don\'t think he tried to become a popstar (although his new girlfried is trying to REstart her pop career). Do you really think he used to be a great striker? Well, I suppose, if he was the top scorer in Scotland. He was never a top player over here (altough he loves tho think that he was). Sporting fans, please forgive me... ▲ Collapse

Libero_Lang_Lab
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks... Apr 11, 2003

...being a top scorer in the Scottish Premier league is no assured mark of greatness. It is basically Rangers vs Celtic, no other teams are in the competition. The quality overall is very poor. It\'s even less competitive than Portugal where at least you have four good teams in the top division.

At Celtic, Cadete was one of three players who became known as \"The Three Amigos\", along with Pierre Van Hyoojdonk and Paolo Di Canio - possibly the most troublesome and high-maint
... See more
...being a top scorer in the Scottish Premier league is no assured mark of greatness. It is basically Rangers vs Celtic, no other teams are in the competition. The quality overall is very poor. It\'s even less competitive than Portugal where at least you have four good teams in the top division.

At Celtic, Cadete was one of three players who became known as \"The Three Amigos\", along with Pierre Van Hyoojdonk and Paolo Di Canio - possibly the most troublesome and high-maintenance trio ever to have played together in one forward line. The manager didn\'t have an easy time.

He came to England briefly - signed on loan for Bradford City on £17,000 per week. In all he only played two games (plus five times as subsitute) and scored ZERO goals. But his hair looked good.

He can\'t have been that bad always though - he was captain of Sporting Lisbon at one point (when they had Figo among others...).

Has he married Nicole yet then? Are her ex-group really the Portuguese equivalent of the Spice Girls?

Anyone know if he is still bothering to play football? I assume he\'s in Lisbon as his last team was Benfica.

Collapse

Vanessa Marques
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
More on Cadete Apr 11, 2003

[quote]

\'...being a top scorer in the Scottish Premier league is no assured mark of greatness. It is basically Rangers vs Celtic, no other teams are in the competition. The quality overall is very poor. It\'s even less competitive than Portugal where at least you have four good teams in the top division.\'

Thanks for saying that our League is not that bad... By the way, looks like we\'re poised for an all-Portuguese UEFA Cup final

[quote]

\'He can\'t have been that bad always though - he was captain of Sporting Lisbon at one point (when they had Figo among others...).\'

I didn\'t say he was bad. He just wasn\'t amazing (he thinks he is, honestly). Figo was a kid at the time. Cadete is much older.

[quote]

\'Has he married Nicole yet then? Are her ex-group really the Portuguese equivalent of the Spice Girls?\'

Not yet, but they said they\'re going to. It will be his THIRD marriage! By the way, he had a girlfried \"outside\", yet he went on to (blatantly) court Nicole while they were still in the House. He\'s not a very considerate man, is he?...

Tentações was not the Portuguese equivalent of the Spice Girls and their career only lasted for 5 seconds...

[quote]

\'Anyone know if he is still bothering to play football? I assume he\'s in Lisbon as his last team was Benfica.\'

He\'s retired. Too old for the game.

Libero_Lang_Lab
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again Vanessa Apr 11, 2003

I\'ve always been a fan of Portuguese football...and I\'m sure it WILL be a Porto-Boavista final. All I meant was that there really is a big gulf between the top four teams and the rest... like in many leagues in fact.

I notice that Cadete is now signed up with a \"showbizz\" [sic] agency that also promotes Boney M and Modern Talking, not to mention his girlfriend and a couple of groups called Morbid Death and The Dismal. I think this probably tells its own story.

... See more
I\'ve always been a fan of Portuguese football...and I\'m sure it WILL be a Porto-Boavista final. All I meant was that there really is a big gulf between the top four teams and the rest... like in many leagues in fact.

I notice that Cadete is now signed up with a \"showbizz\" [sic] agency that also promotes Boney M and Modern Talking, not to mention his girlfriend and a couple of groups called Morbid Death and The Dismal. I think this probably tells its own story.

I\'m thinking of doing an article about him, which is why I\'m asking all these questions by the way - it\'s not because I have a strange obsession with him.

Collapse

Vanessa Marques
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No problem Apr 11, 2003

Hi Dan!

Just let me know if you need anything. I\'m not a big fan of Cadete but I suppose it won\'t be too difficult to dig out some info over here.

V.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Jorge Cadete

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »