Office 2010 with some kind of web-activated license saying it won't work anymore... "end of life"
Thread poster: Adieu
Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Aug 23, 2022

It's counting down the days and saying it cannot re-verified or whatever anymore because Microsoft doesn't wish to "support" Office 2010. But I still want and NEED my Office 2010.

Not the godawful Office 365. Not the not-quite-alternative Open Office. But just an Office 2010 that will still have full functionality next month.

Is there some legitimare workaround? Is there a type of license I still CAN install? Is there a trick to make my Office keep working on my license
... See more
It's counting down the days and saying it cannot re-verified or whatever anymore because Microsoft doesn't wish to "support" Office 2010. But I still want and NEED my Office 2010.

Not the godawful Office 365. Not the not-quite-alternative Open Office. But just an Office 2010 that will still have full functionality next month.

Is there some legitimare workaround? Is there a type of license I still CAN install? Is there a trick to make my Office keep working on my license?

PS hard NO to 365 because I like to keep 50-100+ documents open and like my office app to open in less than 3 seconds. Also, because I don't like to be extorted to buy stuff by making software I already own that works perectly well brick itself with some crooked excuse.

[Edited at 2022-08-23 10:07 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:56
Member (2008)
Italian to English
2008 Aug 23, 2022

I'm still using Office 2008 but only for some functions. To use it I have to restart my Mac using an older version of the operating system because Office 2008 will not run on my current OS.

It may be that your Office 2010 will still work so long as you don't upgrade your computer or its version of Windows (I assume you're using the Windows version).

Someone more expert in Windows will be able to help you.

I agree about Micro$oft but many software makers see
... See more
I'm still using Office 2008 but only for some functions. To use it I have to restart my Mac using an older version of the operating system because Office 2008 will not run on my current OS.

It may be that your Office 2010 will still work so long as you don't upgrade your computer or its version of Windows (I assume you're using the Windows version).

I agree about Micro$oft but many software makers seem to be going the same way: rip off the user by forcing them to adopt a regular-subscription plan.

Alternatively you could try the OpenSource LibreOffice. https://www.libreoffice.org/
...which I think is compatible with MS Office

[Edited at 2022-08-23 12:09 GMT]
Collapse

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not that Aug 23, 2022

It's saying it wants to connect to a server to verify its license....and that server says no more licenses for Office 2010, period.

Or some such thing.

Tom in London wrote:

I agree about Micro$oft but many software makers seem to be going the same way: rip off the user by forcing them to adopt a regular-subscription plan.

Alternatively you could try the OpenSource LibreOffice. https://www.libreoffice.org/
...which I think is compatible with MS Office

[Edited at 2022-08-23 11:57 GMT]

Tanguy Przybylski
Tanguy Przybylski  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 05:56
Member (2008)
Japanese to French
+ ...
Unfortunately, there is no alternative Aug 23, 2022

Unfortunately,

Office, like Windows, is not meant to work endlessly, because they make money by selling new softs (and PCs).

Office 2010 is not supported any more so it means there is no security patch either, thus hackers and virus can attack your computer through Office (it happens a lot, due to security troubles within Office so some translation agencies don't work with people not equipped with a "secured" [supported] software).

If you want to work wit
... See more
Unfortunately,

Office, like Windows, is not meant to work endlessly, because they make money by selling new softs (and PCs).

Office 2010 is not supported any more so it means there is no security patch either, thus hackers and virus can attack your computer through Office (it happens a lot, due to security troubles within Office so some translation agencies don't work with people not equipped with a "secured" [supported] software).

If you want to work with Office but not 365, you can buy a package (on download type) of a more recent Office but don't buy 2013 because its support will end in 2023 (so you can try 2016 [supported until 2025, same date as Windows 10] or preferably a more recent version).

I have a similar issue because my PC is equipped with Office 2013 and can't be upgraded to Win11 so I need a new PC and the latest Office installed (not 365 for me either).

Take a look at the link below, it might help. Or you can try for find a package on Amazon.

Or, if you don't have a huge budget but don't like Libre office (the new and better version of old Open office) you can try the paid version of Polaris Office (which is the most compatible soft with Office documents but don't use the free version, there are loads of ads)

Good luck

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployoffice/endofsupport/resources

https://www.polarisoffice.com/en/

https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download-libreoffice/
Collapse

Tom in London

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:56
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Not quite on topic, but Aug 23, 2022

Interesting trip down memory lane:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WGKy5akris

But... as a Word 2003 user I have to ask: isn't Word 2010 just the same as Word 365? They look the same (both have a ribbon).

Adieu wrote:
Hard NO to 365 because I like to keep 50-100+ documents open and like my office app to open in less than 3 seconds.

I checked and you're right: Office 365 takes twice as long to open than Office 2003... one second vs two seconds. Also opening multiple files doesn't seem to be a problem for Office 365 (compared to the speed at which Office 2003 does it). Perhaps they ironed out the bugs since you last tried?

I agree that it's unfortunate that it no longer activates (without resorting to piracy or KMSpico etc.). It's such an immoral thing for a software company to do.

[Edited at 2022-08-23 18:15 GMT]

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's not normal Aug 23, 2022

I am NOT asking for security patches, nor do I ever install them unless forced. I do NOT care about vulnerabilities. And I never asked for Microsoft's opinion on the matter.

Why are they taking my product back away from me without asking?

Tanguy Przybylski wrote:

Unfortunately,

If you want to work with Office but not 365, you can buy a package (on download type) of a more recent Office but don't buy 2013 because its support will end in 2023 (so you can try 2016 [supported until 2025, same date as Windows 10] or preferably a more recent version).

I have a similar issue because my PC is equipped with Office 2013 and can't be upgraded to Win11 so I need a new PC and the latest Office installed (not 365 for me either).

Take a look at the link below, it might help. Or you can try for find a package on Amazon.

Or, if you don't have a huge budget but don't like Libre office (the new and better version of old Open office) you can try the paid version of Polaris Office (which is the most compatible soft with Office documents but don't use the free version, there are loads of ads)

Good luck

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployoffice/endofsupport/resources

https://www.polarisoffice.com/en/

https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download-libreoffice/

Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
Try phone activation Aug 25, 2022

I heard about this recently, and a quick reading suggested that you'll still be able to activate over the phone where a robot voice dictates you a sequence of digits that you need to enter. Moreover, months ago I activated my ancient copy of Word 2002 from MS Works Suite just like that when it refused to activate over the Internet. That sequence of digits is said to be reusable for your copy.

[Edited at 2022-08-25 11:51 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Office 2010 with some kind of web-activated license saying it won't work anymore... "end of life"

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »