Wei Ralph
Wei Ralph  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:00
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Feb 27, 2022

Ways to convert Traditional Chinese to Simplified Chinese using MS Office 2016 for a book.

Wei Ralph
United States
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
MS Office 2016 word language conversion tools Feb 27, 2022

Sorry that I messed up the original posting of topic. I will restart by asking for help from anyone who might know much more about MS Office 2016 word language conversion tools to convert traditional Chinese to simplified Chinese or vise versa.
I have translated a book in traditional Chinese, and now need to add simplified Chinese version.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 19:00
English to Russian
Did you try this? Feb 27, 2022

https://www.cityu.edu.hk/csc/install-guide/tcsctranslate.htm

Wei Ralph

Mihai Badea (X)
Mihai Badea (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 18:00
English to Romanian
+ ...
Getting best possible help Feb 27, 2022

You might want to repost this to the forum dedicated to Office issues: https://www.proz.com/forum/office_applications-72.html

Stating all the characteristics of your setup (e.g. version of Windows) might help with troubleshooting any additional problems that might arise, for instance with installing the appropriate language package, if necessary. Good luck!

[Edit
... See more
You might want to repost this to the forum dedicated to Office issues: https://www.proz.com/forum/office_applications-72.html

Stating all the characteristics of your setup (e.g. version of Windows) might help with troubleshooting any additional problems that might arise, for instance with installing the appropriate language package, if necessary. Good luck!

[Edited at 2022-02-27 23:33 GMT]
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Jorge Payan
Wei Ralph

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Microsoft's support is your friend Feb 28, 2022

Wei Ralph wrote:

MS Office 2016 word language conversion tools to convert traditional Chinese to simplified Chinese or vise versa.

MS only allows you to send your text to an online service that performs something what MS calls "translating". The tools are in the cloud, not in MS Office.
The explanation can be found at
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/translate-text-into-a-different-language-287380e4-a56c-48a1-9977-f2dca89ce93f

Wei Ralph
United States
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
MS Office 2016 word language conversion tools Feb 28, 2022

Stepan,
You are right. I must have download issue of my original purchase for this function not avaialble to me. Thank you.

Wei Ralph
United States
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER

Mahai,
I will follow up on your suggestion. Thank you again.

Wei Ralph
United States
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER

Pardon me. Mihai.

Mihai Badea (X)
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
Conversion vs Translation Mar 1, 2022

First of all, it's good to notice there are still moderators who take their job seriously (this thread was moved to the right forum section; thanks). It still does not have a title though.

I should note Stepan's link is about converting Traditional Chinese to Simplified Chinese. Ralf's link would seem to be about translation (from one language into another). Not very relevant to the current discussion.

A warning: currently, there seems to be no perfect converting tool.
... See more
First of all, it's good to notice there are still moderators who take their job seriously (this thread was moved to the right forum section; thanks). It still does not have a title though.

I should note Stepan's link is about converting Traditional Chinese to Simplified Chinese. Ralf's link would seem to be about translation (from one language into another). Not very relevant to the current discussion.

A warning: currently, there seems to be no perfect converting tool. Users report that some manual correction of the resulting text might be necessary.

Note: MS Office convertor is not the only tool. Perhaps some exploration of the various, though limited options would be in order.

Cultural note: In Romania, when one distorts someone's name, one owes that person a lamb.
@Wei: No problem.
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 19:00
English to Russian
My bad. Misread the comment. Mar 1, 2022

[Edited at 2022-03-01 14:18 GMT]

Wei Ralph
United States
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
MS Office 2016 word language conversion tools Mar 2, 2022

Rolf,
Thank you for your input.

Mihai Badea (X)
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
My apologies Mar 3, 2022

I hadn't realised the Microsoft automatic translation could be so good.

I would prefer English as well. In the conversion, some nuances from traditional Chinese are obviously lost.

Rolf, please forgive me!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MS Office 2016 word language conversion tools

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »