Netherlands
Local time: 22:00
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Molly Dec 1, 2021

MollyRose wrote:
If you use two screens, then you can let everything appear larger for you.

The problem is that there is a maximum comfortable visual distance between files, and two screens would exceed that distance. Two screens would see me turning my head or moving my eyes from the extreme left to the extreme right, which (a) would hurt my eyes and (b) make it harder for my eyes to find the "other" text on the screen, which would mean that I would have to work while placing my fingers against the two screens, and I can tell you that I can only do that for a minute or so before my arms get tired (-:. This is a situation in which a pair of flat screens (i.e. flat against the desk) would have been great, as checking two files against each other works best if they're lying on the table.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@AnnaSCHTR Dec 1, 2021

AnnaSCHTR wrote:
Experiment with the option "Optimize character positioning for layout rather than readability" (File | Options | Advanced: Display)?

I'll try this next time. In a few quick tests, this option appears to do the opposite of what it is called: it increases the spacing, thus making it easier to read (not more difficult to read).

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@AnnaSCHTR Dec 7, 2021

Samuel Murray wrote:
AnnaSCHTR wrote:
Experiment with the option "Optimize character positioning for layout rather than readability" (File | Options | Advanced: Display)?

I'll try this next time. In a few quick tests, this option appears to do the opposite of what it is called: it increases the spacing, thus making it easier to read (not more difficult to read).

Yes, this setting does seem to help.

Without the setting:
Capture-2

With the setting:
Capture-1

See how "VAN EK" and "VAN IOR" are shown as "VANEK" and "VANIOR" in the one screenshot.

[Edited at 2021-12-07 11:47 GMT]

AnnaSCHTR

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to fix letter and character spacing in Word 365

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »