Thread poster: Gudrun Wolfrath
Gudrun Wolfrath
Gudrun Wolfrath  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:59
English to German
+ ...
Apr 2, 2013

Usually there are no problems in sending files. But once in a while an Excel file is received by the recipient as a dat file. How can this happen?

Thank you for your answers,
Gudrun

Ana Malovrh
Ana Malovrh  Identity Verified
Slovenia
German to Slovenian
+ ...
double full-stop Apr 2, 2013

Hi Gudrun,

it can happen, if you formulate the name of the file in a way that it has two full-stops before the extention (e.g. ..doc, or ..xls etc.)

But maybe there are other causes as well.

Gudrun Wolfrath
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you GerSi. Apr 2, 2013

No, there is no double full-stop.

Strangely enough this never happens when I use my web.de account, but sometimes when I use my "normal" account (which comes with my package from my service provider, I don't use Outlook or the like).

Gudrun

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Similar problem here, but no answer! Apr 2, 2013

I too have encountered this, though not even with an Excel file, but with files of all sorts of formats, including .doc, .pdf, and .jpg.

It has only ever happened (I think) with one particular customer, who also says that it has never happened with any other translator.

I too am beginning to suspect it comes from my ISP, as the attachments were fine when I recovered the exact same message via Gmail — but it was recovered from my Wanadoo pop account in the first
... See more
I too have encountered this, though not even with an Excel file, but with files of all sorts of formats, including .doc, .pdf, and .jpg.

It has only ever happened (I think) with one particular customer, who also says that it has never happened with any other translator.

I too am beginning to suspect it comes from my ISP, as the attachments were fine when I recovered the exact same message via Gmail — but it was recovered from my Wanadoo pop account in the first place, so I'm far from sure why recovering it by that more roundabout route worked better!

One thing I noticed: the size of the .dat file did indeed correspond to the size of the original file; I suppose it might be interesting to see what would happen if I took the .dat file and simply changed the extension? If I can find the most recent one again, I'll try that and report back.
Collapse

Gudrun Wolfrath
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Tony. Apr 2, 2013

Seems like a mystery, especially since it happens only every now and then.

In my case it is a French client who tells me that, but I suppose it does not matter where the client is located, does it?

Gudrun

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Mine was not in France Apr 2, 2013

Gudrun Wolfrath wrote:

In my case it is a French client who tells me that, but I suppose it does not matter where the client is located, does it?

I shouldn't imagine so; mine was NL. Though I did wonder if it was some peculiar incompatibility between their ISP and my own; or perhaps more likely with their e-mail client. But like you say, it is such a rare occurrence, it is hard to see if there is any pattern to it.

By the way, I use Thunderbird for e-mail, don't know if that may have some bearing on it...

[Edited at 2013-04-02 10:51 GMT]

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Aha! Maybe some light is shed... Apr 2, 2013

I did find back one of the old files, which came through as winmail.dat

I changed the extension to .pdf (what it should have been), but when I tried to open it using Acrobat, it came back with an error message; it seemed to recognize that it was meant to be a .pdf file, but said that it was probably corrupted in some way — possibly due to failed decoding of an e-mail message.

So it looks as if it may indeed be a problem at the receiving end with the e-m
... See more
I did find back one of the old files, which came through as winmail.dat

I changed the extension to .pdf (what it should have been), but when I tried to open it using Acrobat, it came back with an error message; it seemed to recognize that it was meant to be a .pdf file, but said that it was probably corrupted in some way — possibly due to failed decoding of an e-mail message.

So it looks as if it may indeed be a problem at the receiving end with the e-mail client — though I suppose the decoding error could be due to some more general file corruption somewhere along the line.

One other thing I discovered when looking back at my old messages: the same customer sent me the same file several times, and each time the problem was the same. So although it may be a rare occurrence, it maybe isn't quite as random as I thought, and may have soemthing to do with the specific file.
Collapse

Gudrun Wolfrath
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I use Firefox Apr 2, 2013

and usually without any problems whatsoever.

Gudrun

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Possible workaround? Apr 2, 2013

How about zipping the troublesome file? Does this help?

Gudrun Wolfrath
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Stanislav. Apr 2, 2013

Good idea. This time I used my account on www.web.de, which worked perfectly.
It was my usual ISP account which delivered something illegible (i.e. a dat file).

Which ZIP program do you use? Maybe I try this nex time.

Gudrun

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:59
Member (2004)
English to Italian
This... Apr 2, 2013

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

How about zipping the troublesome file? Does this help?

That's what I do in case of troublesome files... ^^^^

Edited for typo!

[Edited at 2013-04-02 12:05 GMT]

Gudrun Wolfrath
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Giovanni, Apr 2, 2013

I am relieved to have a workaround (or two meanwhile with the ZIP option).

Gudrun

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Excel file changes into dat file when sending it by email

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »