Autor vlákna: Marion Rhodes
Marion Rhodes
Marion Rhodes  Identity Verified
Spojené státy americké
Local time: 13:36
angličtina -> němčina
+ ...
Sep 16, 2009

I recently ran into some issues with a client who wanted a document translated that included text, lots of numbers, some Power Point slides, as well as Excel tables. The word count function in MS Word and Open Office wasn't helpful in this case, as it left out the graphics, which also needed to be translated. I downloaded the trial versions for Anycount and PractiCount & Invoice, both of which produced different numbers for the text and left out the graphics as well. Can anyone give me some sugg... See more
I recently ran into some issues with a client who wanted a document translated that included text, lots of numbers, some Power Point slides, as well as Excel tables. The word count function in MS Word and Open Office wasn't helpful in this case, as it left out the graphics, which also needed to be translated. I downloaded the trial versions for Anycount and PractiCount & Invoice, both of which produced different numbers for the text and left out the graphics as well. Can anyone give me some suggestions about which programs might be more helpful in determining accurate word counts that would include the above-mentioned formats? I'd really appreciate it.Collapse

sandhya
sandhya  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:06
němčina -> angličtina
+ ...
Use a CAT tool Sep 16, 2009

Hi,

Unfortunately, different counting tools produce different results.
So, there is no one tool that gives the "ultimate truth"

If you work with CAT tools, trying using Trados, WordFast etc.

But if the client is not the trusting kind, then both of you need to use the same tools! Otherwise, you can send the client a snapshot of the screen displaying the word count.

hope this
... See more
Hi,

Unfortunately, different counting tools produce different results.
So, there is no one tool that gives the "ultimate truth"

If you work with CAT tools, trying using Trados, WordFast etc.

But if the client is not the trusting kind, then both of you need to use the same tools! Otherwise, you can send the client a snapshot of the screen displaying the word count.

hope this helps
cheers
Sandhya
Collapse

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
Francie
Local time: 22:36
němčina -> angličtina
+ ...
I use practicount Sep 16, 2009

Hi there!

I use practicount. It allows you to combine various file types, and has options for including or leaving out diagrams, embedded objects, etc.

Best,

Alison

inmb
inmb  Identity Verified
angličtina -> polština
+ ...
Count Anything Sep 16, 2009

That's what I use, especially for Excel. So far so good.
http://ginstrom.com/CountAnything/

Maria Tsang
Maria Tsang  Identity Verified
němčina -> francouzština
+ ...
print as PDF Sep 16, 2009

I use Anycount only to evaluate the volume when clients send Jobs with many files (I like to check on the exported Excel-count how much is left to do), but for my invoices for translated PPT-files, I prefer using a (free) printer-driver that converts my PPTs into PDFs. I found this method useful because I can send the the PDF-file to my clients if they want to verify my count with copy-paste into a Wordfile.

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
Velká Británie
Local time: 21:36
Člen (2006)
angličtina -> polština
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
That depends Sep 16, 2009

If you use Trados than you can use its analyse function. It is quite accurate. If you don't I like myself Any Count - it may be used for all formats you mentioned.

You also mentioned something about graphics being left out. If by graphics you mean bitmaps than AFAIK no word counting program is going to help. One idea which springs to my mind is to print everything to pdf file/files and subsequently convert these files to Word using ABBY Fine Reader - it should solve the problem of
... See more
If you use Trados than you can use its analyse function. It is quite accurate. If you don't I like myself Any Count - it may be used for all formats you mentioned.

You also mentioned something about graphics being left out. If by graphics you mean bitmaps than AFAIK no word counting program is going to help. One idea which springs to my mind is to print everything to pdf file/files and subsequently convert these files to Word using ABBY Fine Reader - it should solve the problem of bimaps.

However in everyday life much more practical would be count words in the text and agree with the client ballpark figure for bitmaps, or maybe count the target words for them?

Best Regards
Stanislaw
Collapse

fsa
fsa
Indonésie
Local time: 03:36
angličtina -> indonéština
+ ...
Combination software & manual count works well Sep 17, 2009

Stanislaw's method about confirming a count system with the client is a good one.

I recently used PractiCount for the first time. Just to check it's accuracy, I checked one "average" page for the document with MS Word and then WordPerfect. Then, I ran PractiCount on the same page. Finally I hand counted the text on that page, word by word.

All that only took about 20 minutes. From those counts I could see how far PractiCount was from the word processors' word counts a
... See more
Stanislaw's method about confirming a count system with the client is a good one.

I recently used PractiCount for the first time. Just to check it's accuracy, I checked one "average" page for the document with MS Word and then WordPerfect. Then, I ran PractiCount on the same page. Finally I hand counted the text on that page, word by word.

All that only took about 20 minutes. From those counts I could see how far PractiCount was from the word processors' word counts and especially from my word-by-word count. Once you know how many percent more or less a software program counts from your own hand count, you can use the software and adjust its count. And you should occasionally - maybe at the start of every new project - run another comparison check just to make sure the differences are still the same.

Admittedly, sometimes on billing you may lose a few words but sometimes you'll gain a few words. But once you know how far off the software is, you can be reasonably sure your software counts are accurate enough use for billing. You can also explain this to the client and let the client hand count a page you counted.
Collapse

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
němčina -> španělština
+ ...
Looking for reliable word counting program Sep 17, 2009

What do you mean with "reliable"? Each tool counts words with diffferent criteria and even different versions of the same tool have different count criteria, like MS-Word itself.
Take a look at
... See more
What do you mean with "reliable"? Each tool counts words with diffferent criteria and even different versions of the same tool have different count criteria, like MS-Word itself.
Take a look at these different tools. Good luck!

http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/CompleteWordCount/index.html

http://ginstrom.com/software/wordmacros/wordcount.php

http://www.anycount.com/

http://www.practiline.com/

http://www.practiline.com/matchcalculator.htm

(my tool of choice is Shauna Kelly's macro

[Editado a las 2009-09-17 10:31 GMT]
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Kanada
Local time: 16:36
Člen (2008)
francouzština -> angličtina
+ ...
Word count for grpahics Oct 27, 2009

If by graphics you mean images you pretty much have to count manually, or else use an OCR to create an editable document. I will sometimes extract images from a document, print to PDF, then use Fine Reader to produce a text document whose words can be counted.

listings
listings
Spojené státy americké
Local time: 13:36
Online free word counters Apr 4, 2012

If you are looking to exclude numbers like years or dollar amounts from the word count, you can try these free tools:

See more
If you are looking to exclude numbers like years or dollar amounts from the word count, you can try these free tools:

http://www.montereylanguages.com/pdf-word-count-online-free-tool.html
http://www.montereylanguages.com/excel-word-count-online-free-tool.html

They allow to count words in PDF and Excel files, and give the option to exclude numbers from the count.

[Edited at 2012-04-04 18:16 GMT]
Collapse

Selçuk Dilşen
Selçuk Dilşen  Identity Verified
Velká Británie
Local time: 21:36
Člen (2014)
angličtina -> turečtina
+ ...
PractiCount Dec 18, 2012

I came accross this topic while searching a word count software. I know the topic is rather old, but I'd like to share the results of my short tests for those who might be interested. The tests involve only counting of characters without spaces.

The free "Count Anything" gives almost the same countings with MS Word's Word Count, it has a reasonable speed and simple interface, but when it comes to creating a report, it's rather slow. It can be preferred because it's free.

... See more
I came accross this topic while searching a word count software. I know the topic is rather old, but I'd like to share the results of my short tests for those who might be interested. The tests involve only counting of characters without spaces.

The free "Count Anything" gives almost the same countings with MS Word's Word Count, it has a reasonable speed and simple interface, but when it comes to creating a report, it's rather slow. It can be preferred because it's free.

AnyCount, by the creators Projetex and Translation Office 3000, has a very fancy interface and easy to set up and use. It has almost the same price with Practicount. I have experienced no improvements in speed, although the developers claim that the software makes use of multi-core processors for better performance. The counting results it produces are interestingly lower than MS Word's, by 10 to 20 %! This can be a problem, particularly for large projects. None of us wants to be underpaid for our hard work. It also has limitations on file types according to which version you use, i.e. 'standard', 'business' or 'enterprise'. So, I will neither prefer, nor advise this software.

Practicount has a rather old interface, which looks like it has been coded in days of Windows 98. But it supports many file types and produces detailed reports. You can directly prepare your invoice inside the software and even add VAT. These are nice features at a glance, there are more of them. On top of all, the counting gives the highest results compared to others', this is contrary to what I have mentioned above for AnyCount. You can customize what to count and what not to count in terms of words, lines, characters, special characters, etc. Needless to say that, I prefer and advise this software to every colleague, since functionality is the most important in a professional program.

Thank you for reading

Selcuk
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for reliable word counting program

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »