Working for a Japanese outsourcer while living abroad
Thread poster: jbcreix
jbcreix
jbcreix
Local time: 04:03
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 2, 2007

I got a job from a Japanese company and they asked me to sign a Japanese outsourcing agreement(業務委託契約). According to my research, if I was living in Japan I would be required to have a legal visa and job permit and to pay the Social Security money. However I am not, and I don't know if I can legally sign this kind of contract without neither me or the company getting into any problem.
If someone has been in this same situation please tell me what has happened. I am particularly
... See more
I got a job from a Japanese company and they asked me to sign a Japanese outsourcing agreement(業務委託契約). According to my research, if I was living in Japan I would be required to have a legal visa and job permit and to pay the Social Security money. However I am not, and I don't know if I can legally sign this kind of contract without neither me or the company getting into any problem.
If someone has been in this same situation please tell me what has happened. I am particularly interested in the Japanese side of things. I eventually intend to move to Japan as I am engaged to a Japanese lady. I wouldn't like having problems with immigration bureaus and the like for a few thousand yens.
Please reply as soon as you can. Thank you very much.
Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:03
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
What is in that contract Oct 2, 2007

Could you specify what is in the contract that makes you worried?
It is hard to say anything without knowing what you are talking about.
For example, does it have any clauses on taxes, benefits, or is it just a standard non-disclosure agreement and the specification of the work as "work for hire" - which means you don't own any copyrights to the translation, and you are not their employee so they are not paying for health insurance or social security for you?

Shannon Morales
Shannon Morales  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:03
Member (2005)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Don't worry. Oct 2, 2007

Hi. There shouldn't be a problem, as you are exempt from paying Japanese income tax if you perform the work outside the country. In my case, I started out in Japan and then moved abroad, while continuing to work for most of my clients. Once I realized I didn't have to pay Japanese taxes anymore, most were happy to stop withdrawing them.

As for a legal work visa, etc., that too should only apply if you are physically in Japan.

In my opinion, this work ought to help your
... See more
Hi. There shouldn't be a problem, as you are exempt from paying Japanese income tax if you perform the work outside the country. In my case, I started out in Japan and then moved abroad, while continuing to work for most of my clients. Once I realized I didn't have to pay Japanese taxes anymore, most were happy to stop withdrawing them.

As for a legal work visa, etc., that too should only apply if you are physically in Japan.

In my opinion, this work ought to help your case when you do go to Japan, as you'll already have some business connections there.

Good luck to you!
Collapse

jbcreix
jbcreix
Local time: 04:03
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Oct 2, 2007

Thank you very much for your replies. I have also spoken with a friend and he is also working with the same kind of contract.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Takeshi MIYAHARA[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Working for a Japanese outsourcer while living abroad

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »