Thread poster: michiko tsum (X)
michiko tsum (X)
michiko tsum (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:05
English to Japanese
Sep 10, 2007

Hi,

I recently got a new computer and installed Office 2007. I have set the language input as Japanese IME just like my old computer which used IME2002.

Now, my keyboard seems to be totally different from before. I cannot use apostrophe, brackets are now upper case 8 and 9 instead of 9 and 0 like my keyboard shows. Is a Japanese keyboard like that? I used to use a keyboard I bought in Canada, it is just like any other keyboard you can find in North America and I hav
... See more
Hi,

I recently got a new computer and installed Office 2007. I have set the language input as Japanese IME just like my old computer which used IME2002.

Now, my keyboard seems to be totally different from before. I cannot use apostrophe, brackets are now upper case 8 and 9 instead of 9 and 0 like my keyboard shows. Is a Japanese keyboard like that? I used to use a keyboard I bought in Canada, it is just like any other keyboard you can find in North America and I have used all the keys the way it says on the keyboard with Japanese IME.

Could anyone tell me how to set the keyboard or where to find those letters like colon, apostrophe and equal sign?

Thanks very much. Oh, by the way, I cannot use spell check either. Pardon my spelling errors.
Collapse

KathyT
KathyT  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 03:05
Japanese to English
Japanese Keyboard layout Sep 10, 2007

Hi Michiko,

You have my sympathies!! But don't despair.
Try this link for a good image of a Japanese keyboard layout.
As you say, the brackets are located in uppercase 8 and 9.
Apostrophe is uppercase 7, and the "equals sign" is uppercase dash (immediately to the right of the numeral zero).

Although it might be irritating at first,
... See more
Hi Michiko,

You have my sympathies!! But don't despair.
Try this link for a good image of a Japanese keyboard layout.
As you say, the brackets are located in uppercase 8 and 9.
Apostrophe is uppercase 7, and the "equals sign" is uppercase dash (immediately to the right of the numeral zero).

Although it might be irritating at first, it probably won't take too long to get used to...
I've used Japanese OSs for as long as I can remember and I hate switching to non-Japanese keyboards!!

頑張ってください!

Kathy
Collapse

michiko tsum (X)
Canada
English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Kathy! Sep 11, 2007

Thank you soooo much! Funny, I didn't even think about googling the layout...I thought I should be able to change the setting somehow.

You're right. I will probably get used to it soon enough and also using the different keyboard setting for English and Japanese document might not be a bad idea.

Thanks again and take care.

Doiku Takeda (X)
Doiku Takeda (X)
Japan
Local time: 02:05
Japanese to English
+ ...
Getting the right keyboard setting Sep 12, 2007

I am using English Windows2000 Professional with a Japanese keyboard layout. The way to set the keyboard to a Japanese layout in WindowsXP is probably the same as Win2000. In WinXP, If you go into Windows Device Manager, then expand "Keyboard" and double-click the entry under it (it will probably say something like "stardard101/102 keyboard" or "Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard"). You want to change the driver. Under the "driver" tab there will be a button to update drivers. Click it and choose "... See more
I am using English Windows2000 Professional with a Japanese keyboard layout. The way to set the keyboard to a Japanese layout in WindowsXP is probably the same as Win2000. In WinXP, If you go into Windows Device Manager, then expand "Keyboard" and double-click the entry under it (it will probably say something like "stardard101/102 keyboard" or "Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard"). You want to change the driver. Under the "driver" tab there will be a button to update drivers. Click it and choose "display a list of know drivers." In the next window, select "show all hardware for this device class". A list appears. Select "standard keyboards" in the left pane, then scroll up or down in the right pane to find and select "Japanese PS/2 Keyborad (106/109 Key"). Then, of course, click "next" and so on to install the driver. This should give you a Japanese keyboard layout. You may have to reboot. Also, don't worry about the actual number of keys your keyboard has even though the Japanese keyboard driver you selected says 106/109 keys.Collapse

michiko tsum (X)
Canada
English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your reply! Sep 14, 2007

Thank you so much for your reply and taking time to explain it to me. I've tried to follow your instruction but got lost around list driver updates. For now, I will try to coop with it by getting used to the Japanese key board and switching the setting back and forth between Japanese and US keyboard.

Thanks again for your help!

Doiku Takeda (X)
Doiku Takeda (X)
Japan
Local time: 02:05
Japanese to English
+ ...
Getting the right keyboard setting Sep 16, 2007

I'm sorry my directions were't of help. I guess the driver update process in WIndowsXP is a little different than in Windows2000.

michiko tsum (X)
Canada
English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
Don't be sorry. Sep 16, 2007

I do appreciate your taking time for me. I use Window Vista. It is so different from even XP. Thanks!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Takeshi MIYAHARA[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Japanese IME-I cannot get the right keyboard setting

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »