Taxes and receipt for first interpretation job
Thread poster: rastignac55
rastignac55
rastignac55
French to Japanese
Jul 31, 2008

Hello everybody !

This is my first message here.

I am not (yet) a professional freelancer, but a foreign student living in Japan.
I have been asked by an acquaintance to do interpretation work at his company.
No problem on the job side, translation and interpretation are my major.
No problem on the administrative side as well, as I have a work permit to engage in such activities.

My problem is about taxes.
What is the procedure in
... See more
Hello everybody !

This is my first message here.

I am not (yet) a professional freelancer, but a foreign student living in Japan.
I have been asked by an acquaintance to do interpretation work at his company.
No problem on the job side, translation and interpretation are my major.
No problem on the administrative side as well, as I have a work permit to engage in such activities.

My problem is about taxes.
What is the procedure in such case ?
I have been looking around, and it looks like the company as to take 10% of my payment as a tax (源泉徴収). Could someone confirm this ? Besides this 源泉徴収, are there taxes I should worry of.

Also, since the company requests me to give them a receipt (領収書), but since it is first "official" job, I am not really sure about how to make it. I know it sounds stupid, but if someone could explain me the outline...

Thank you in advance !

先輩たち、よろしくお願いします!

Rastignac
Collapse

Alex Farrell (X)
Alex Farrell (X)  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 04:36
Japanese to English
The practice regarding taxes is normal Aug 2, 2008

Many companies that hire freelances and part-timers take out 10% for taxes. In January or February of next year, the company will send you a form which summarizes the income you received from them and how much was taken out for taxes. When you have received these forms from all of your employers from the previous year, you can take them to the tax office, where they will help you fill out a form and you can apply for your tax refund.

As for a receipt, I think if you just fill out a
... See more
Many companies that hire freelances and part-timers take out 10% for taxes. In January or February of next year, the company will send you a form which summarizes the income you received from them and how much was taken out for taxes. When you have received these forms from all of your employers from the previous year, you can take them to the tax office, where they will help you fill out a form and you can apply for your tax refund.

As for a receipt, I think if you just fill out a generic receipt form (a book of which you can probably get at a stationary store) and sign or stamp it with your personal seal, that will probably be fine. I've never done that myself, so you should confirm.

Hope that helps.

- Alex
Collapse

rastignac55
rastignac55
French to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Aug 6, 2008

Alex, thank you very much for your explanation. It was exactly what I needed to know.
Thanks again !

Rastignac

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Takeshi MIYAHARA[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Taxes and receipt for first interpretation job

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »