Thread poster: Annazotova
Annazotova
Annazotova  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:52
English to Russian
+ ...
Sep 19, 2015

Hi there,

I'm new at this. For the past two months I've been responding to multiple project requests and had three bites so far: the first one offered a rate of $2.5 per page, which I declined, the second one rated my test assignment quite low and obviously did not want to work with me, the third one I still haven't heard from.
Now, I do have a 5 year degree in linguistics from a Russian University and my diploma does certify that I'm a translator, however I never really app
... See more
Hi there,

I'm new at this. For the past two months I've been responding to multiple project requests and had three bites so far: the first one offered a rate of $2.5 per page, which I declined, the second one rated my test assignment quite low and obviously did not want to work with me, the third one I still haven't heard from.
Now, I do have a 5 year degree in linguistics from a Russian University and my diploma does certify that I'm a translator, however I never really applied myself in this field, and I graduated in 2003. I do also have a degree in finance and am now working on my electrical engineering degree, so would like to focus on technical projects, which I understand best of all.
I would greatly appreciate any advice on how I could get over this entry barrier. Is there a certification that is helpful? Memberships, which would not break the bank? Events in New York area, where I live?

Thank you in advance!

Anna
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 10:52
English to Thai
+ ...
Contribution to the translation industry Sep 19, 2015

Annazotova wrote:

I would greatly appreciate any advice on how I could get over this entry barrier. Is there a certification that is helpful? Memberships, which would not break the bank? Events in New York area, where I live?

Anna

For new translators, I recommend that you actively participate in the translation world e.g. working as a volunteer, joining translation fora, doing free translation, trying the trial translation. Percentage of success but if you are familiar with the activities, your experience will be accumulate and you can handle the situation better.

Soonthon L.

Annazotova
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
resources/platforms for volunteering as a translator Sep 19, 2015

Thank you Soonthon! Would you suggest a resource for volunteer projects?

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 06:52
French to English
+ ...
Work full time in translation Sep 19, 2015

Annazotova wrote:

I do also have a degree in finance and am now working on my electrical engineering degree, so would like to focus on technical projects, which I understand best of all.
I would greatly appreciate any advice on how I could get over this entry barrier.

Being a translator is a profession. You will succeed at it when you treat it like one, rather than a side kick to get some extra cash coming in.

No amount of marketing (spam?)/memberships/applications/courses will turn you into a professional translator. There is just one magic formula: elbow grease.

Best regards,
Sandra

[Edited at 2015-09-19 06:14 GMT]

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:52
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Hm... Sep 19, 2015

Annazotova wrote:

Now, I do have a 5 year degree in linguistics from a Russian University and my diploma does certify that I'm a translator, however I never really applied myself in this field... I do also have a degree in finance and am now working on my electrical engineering degree...

1. A linguistics degree does not make one a translator
2. Why translate when you can make a decent living in finance or electrical engineering?

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Ditto! Sep 19, 2015

Diana Coada, PGDip DPSI NRPSI wrote:

Annazotova wrote:

Now, I do have a 5 year degree in linguistics from a Russian University and my diploma does certify that I'm a translator, however I never really applied myself in this field... I do also have a degree in finance and am now working on my electrical engineering degree...

1. A linguistics degree does not make one a translator
2. Why translate when you can make a decent living in finance or electrical engineering?

Specialize first! The only way to specialize in anything is to study and practice it full-time for a minimum of X years (I would say, 10). Then switch to translation if you are still interested.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I'm wondering what you've actually done Sep 19, 2015

You've clearly got a lot of credentials on paper; many successful translators have far fewer bits of paper to line their walls. But all that means is that you're good at sitting in a classroom, taking notes, memorising facts and then setting them out in writing. Yes, I know, that's unfair and not true at all - there's a lot more to university studies. But your profile here IS woefully short of experience - putting all that learnin... See more
You've clearly got a lot of credentials on paper; many successful translators have far fewer bits of paper to line their walls. But all that means is that you're good at sitting in a classroom, taking notes, memorising facts and then setting them out in writing. Yes, I know, that's unfair and not true at all - there's a lot more to university studies. But your profile here IS woefully short of experience - putting all that learning to good effect. And that's really what clients are looking for. You need to be able to give them the message, "I've done many XYZ (insert field) translations very successfully in the past, so I can do yours well, too". And if you have no translation experience then the second best message is, "I've worked in XYZ (insert industry) so I understand your world, and I'm also a translator".

The best single piece of advice I can give you if you're looking for work on this site, and even if you aren't, is to attend the free webinar given by staff member Lucia, Meeting Clients at ProZ.com (I think that's what it's called). In fact, everything in the Site Guidance Centre is aimed at you as it's for people new to the profession and/or new to the site. You'll find it under the "About" tab.
Collapse

Álvaro Espantaleón Moreno
Álvaro Espantaleón Moreno  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:52
Member (2015)
English to Spanish
Patience Sep 19, 2015

Your credentials are great, but it takes time.

Most clients don't care at all about quality. They just want something fast, very fast, and cheap, very very cheap. Anything that looks like Russian will be ok for them (that's a market you should avoid).

Then there will be a few clients (somewhere out there in the vast nothingness of space) actually looking for quality work in your specialized fields (finance and engineering): your challenge will be to find them.

Annazotova
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Sep 19, 2015

Thank you all!

Diana Kokoszka
Diana Kokoszka
United States
Polish to English
+ ...
Hi there Sep 19, 2015

Hi there,

Since you are living in New York, maybe this is a good idea to start off with interpreting and then slowly switching to translation? Some interpreting agencies carry translation as well, so if you turn out to be good at interpreting, then they might offer you some translation? As far as I know, there is plenty of opportunities for Russian interpreters in New York, not only on-site but also telephonic ones. Also, if you can list some interpreting clients on your resume, thi
... See more
Hi there,

Since you are living in New York, maybe this is a good idea to start off with interpreting and then slowly switching to translation? Some interpreting agencies carry translation as well, so if you turn out to be good at interpreting, then they might offer you some translation? As far as I know, there is plenty of opportunities for Russian interpreters in New York, not only on-site but also telephonic ones. Also, if you can list some interpreting clients on your resume, this might look good as well.
As far as memberships are concerned, you may list yourself on ATA for $195/year. I got some clients from there. And of course, membership on Proz-you gain access to many more offers.
ATA certification is undoubtedly a milestone, but you need 2 year proven experience to take it.

Good luck,
Diana
Collapse

Annazotova
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Sep 19, 2015

Thank you Diana!

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Oh no, please don't! Sep 20, 2015

wegrzyndiana wrote:
Since you are living in New York, maybe this is a good idea to start off with interpreting and then slowly switching to translation?

That's how the market got to where it is and pays its interpreters peanuts. Please only start interpreting after you've taken a course and know what interpreting entails.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Having trouble entering the field - looking for advice

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »