Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13] >
Off topic: To celebrate Chinese New Year...
Thread poster: Jianjun Zhang
chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 20:23
Chinese to English
Misunderstanding - this is not about crime, it is about top stories in the Western media... Feb 3, 2006

stone118 wrote:

Remember, you are talking with alive individuals HERE, you're not chatting with those drug dealers or murderers in your country. If you have any thing to say about them, please go find them and speak to them.

There is a misunderstanding here. This thread is not really about criminals, though we can talk about them if we want. It is about bias in the media! It just happens that almost all the sories (about China and Chinese people) in the top stories has been about crime so far - it's not my choice what article Stuff highlights each day! Remember there was also the Chinese women's tennis item and the video clip about Chinese New Year...

Back to the topic, have people found any evidence of media bias in these articles so far? This was Kevin's assertion, let's examine it objectively.Do you think the reporting is balanced. Remember it is only very interesting or important stories which make the 'top stories'. These crime stories are interesting in NZ - we have a small population here, only about 4 million, so these stories are quite big here.

Really, I can't quite understand all the excitement. That's just the way it is. How about checking the articles for bias...

If people would like, I could also post the newspaper editorials. I saw one in our Christchurch Press today which looked quite good...But I think it is the top stories we should be looking at, because those are what also appear on national primetime TV.

[Oh dear, for some reason it is not easy to find the editorials on Stuff. If you type 'china' into the search however, you can bring up other stories, not the top stories.

S E A R C H R E S U L T S

RESULTS PAGE 1: 1-9 of 9 matches on china

1. China's pollution galvanises peasants to action (HOME - WORLD NEWS) 03.02.06 籖EAD MORE
2. US seeks to curb China's might (HOME - WORLD NEWS) 03.02.06 籖EAD MORE
3. Misuse led to drug-resistant flu strains (HOME - HEALTH) 03.02.06 籖EAD MORE
4. Business leader sounds warning on P4 (HOME - BUSINESS) 02.02.06 籖EAD MORE
5. Corby case shows our blinkered fear of foreigners (HOME - OPINION) 30.01.06 籖EAD MORE
6. Rosemary McLeod: Corby case shows our blinkered fear of foreigners (NZ NEWSPAPERS - FOCUS) 29.01.06 籖EAD MORE
7. Beating Asia piracy 'to take 10 yrs' (HOME - INTERNATIONAL) 28.01.06 籖EAD MORE
8. Chinese state firms' profits up 25pc in 2005 (HOME - INTERNATIONAL) 28.01.06 籖EAD MORE
9. Where rain is harvested (NZ NEWSPAPERS - GARDENING) 17.12.05 籖EAD MORE]

Angus Woo
Angus Woo
Local time: 16:23
Chinese to English
+ ...
Lesley somehow makes me think that I am still living in the old colonial Hong Kong. Feb 3, 2006

Personally I don't know Lesley that much, but her viewpoint does make me feel uneasy, even resentful. You sound like the Chinese as race is by nature inferior and pernicious. I used to have that feeling while HK was still under the old colonial rule. I bet most HK citizens are not craving the second class citizen status. Trust me.

Anyone who has learned anything about the history of the British Empire (NZ is part of the commonwealth) should have known that THE Royal Family of Englan
... See more
Personally I don't know Lesley that much, but her viewpoint does make me feel uneasy, even resentful. You sound like the Chinese as race is by nature inferior and pernicious. I used to have that feeling while HK was still under the old colonial rule. I bet most HK citizens are not craving the second class citizen status. Trust me.

Anyone who has learned anything about the history of the British Empire (NZ is part of the commonwealth) should have known that THE Royal Family of England, the queen of England to be exact, the role model of all British subjects, the supreme governor of the Church of England, had actually resorted to pirating as a national policy in the 16th century, for it could make the Isle rich again. Of course we all know that this is already history.

However, the first question is: is there anyone who would dare to imply that if the head of that nation once was a pirate, then naturally most subjects of the nation consequently must behave and think like that and most citizens of that nation are born to be criminals?

Criminals don't choose where to be born. Simple as that. The Chinese are not perfect, and so are Caucasians.

The second question is: If bias in the media is what you want to talk about and you do think those articles are unbiased, then are you suggesting that the Chinese community in NZ consists of more criminals than hard working, decent and lawful NZ Chinese citizens?
Collapse

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 16:23
English to Chinese
+ ...
開工大吉 Feb 3, 2006

各位地球公民:

文明講理,沒錯;但如果有人樣樣事都要弄擰、搞僵,還要跟你講歪理,誰有那個閒工夫?

初五隔開,這習俗蠻有意思的,聖經上也說什麼都有時。沒想到新年也會遭遇不愉快,今天初六開工了,讓工作把不愉快淹沒吧。

祝大家開工大吉!

文哲

chica nueva
chica nueva
Chinese to English
The question is, are the texts biased Feb 3, 2006

Angus Woo wrote:

The second question is: If bias in the media is what you want to talk about and you do think those articles are unbiased, then are you suggesting that the Chinese community in NZ consists of more criminals than hard working, decent and lawful NZ Chinese citizens?

This is a misunderstanding of the situation

1 Kevin raised the subject of bias, I am responding to that.
2 I didn't say the articles were unbiased.
3 I am not suggesting anything about the Chinese community in NZ.

I am not sure of your point about colonial attitudes? Could you explain.

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:23
English to Chinese
+ ...
欲盖弥彰 Feb 3, 2006

Lesley McLachlan wrote:
There is a misunderstanding here. This thread is not really about criminals, though we can talk about them if we want. It is about bias in the media! It just happens that almost all the sories (about China and Chinese people) in the top stories has been about crime so far - it's not my choice what article Stuff highlights each day!

Lesley,

It sounds like as if you were unbiased. If so, how do you explain your previous comments as below? Is this also a misunderstanding?
Lesley McLachlan wrote:
A local person (a lawyer) here told me that, in his opinion, of the Asians, the old civilisations (Chinese and Japanese) adapt more easily than the newer ones (Korea, Philippines). They come, they look around and just fit in with the local way of doing things - exactly as Angus said. (We are quite a stable and conservative city, not very large - he would have been referring to HK and Taiwan settlers I think). It is not nice to compare though, is it.
估计律师先生还没遇到过大陆来的(少数)'无产阶级黑帮朋友'青年们,骗人,走私(毒品),抢人,杀死自己女朋友(可怕).也有人作假结婚移民为生意.

Furthermore, how do you explain the following? Is this another misunderstanding?
Lesley McLachlan wrote:
Take a look at this, another instance where national celebration (Shenzhou) was turned in the direction of national jingoism. http://www.proz.com/topic/37928?start=0 It's disappointing.

I missed the discussions in that forum (神六上天,国外尤其是海外华人反应如何?) because I was traveling in China during that period while still being too busy with translation jobs. However, I read all the comments in that forum this morning and don't understand your alleged accusation of national jingoism. Could you please give me just one example from the comments in that forum which could be regarded as jingoism? I am also wondering why you deleted all of your comments overnight. Does it mean that you realized all of the comments you had made was wrong? Have you ever heard the Chinese saying: 君子一言,驷马难追!

[Edited at 2006-02-04 00:20]

chica nueva
chica nueva
Chinese to English
A duplicate of my response to Angus, so deleted. Feb 3, 2006

Thought my first response to Angus had not gone through (a lot of problems sending it yesterday). This was another attempt...

[Edited at 2006-02-03 19:49]

We all have to explain very very carefully why we delete things now don't we.

[Edited at 2006-02-03 19:51]

chica nueva
chica nueva
Chinese to English
Why do you say that... Feb 3, 2006

Yueyin Sun wrote:
I am also wondering why you deleted all of your comments overnight. Does it mean that you realized all of the comments you had made was wrong? Have you ever heard the Chinese saying: 君子一言,驷马难追!

Why do you say that...we have a saying in English 'give other people the benefit of the doubt'

I have answered that question twice already, in that thread and in this thread on Feb 1. I deleted my comments because I felt my contribution looked too dominant. I considered that everything that was relevant was encapsulated in the responses of others.I don't believe that anything significant to the discussion was deleted. I am not going to use that facility in that way again...

The best principle is that all contributions here should be positive for the community?

jingoism - I will come back to that in another post. Perhaps it needs to be defined ('chauvinism' in another post caused consternation because of the Marxist dictionaries others were using...)

jingoism = the extreme belief that your own country is always best, which is often shown in enthusiastic support for a war against another country. eg Patriotism can turn into jingoism and intolerance very quickly. (Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary)

chica nueva
chica nueva
Chinese to English
I guess this is right? Feb 3, 2006

stone118 wrote:

Lesley, when a person can not reflect on his own deeds and thougnts, and have no sense at all of his own prejudice, there's no any good for anyone to 'debate' or 'communicate' with him.

I guess you are right, talking to entrenched bigots is a waste of time. But are you talking about anyone here, or just in general...

People are still debating so I guess they think it is worthwhile?

In the world of international relations, sometimes we have to talk to each other...perhaps it is a good skill to develop?

Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:23
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Whenever I see her, I know it is bad news. Feb 3, 2006

Dear Chinese translators,

Thank you so much for your inputs and participation in this discussion. I was so busy with some translation jobs last couple days and was not able to respond to every message you posted. However, I enjoyed reading all your posts. They are very well written. We are from Taiwan, Hong Kong, Canada, United States, China and other places in the world. Our viewpoints are much better reflecting the thoughts and attitudes of the Chinese people in general. Please li
... See more

Thank you so much for your inputs and participation in this discussion. I was so busy with some translation jobs last couple days and was not able to respond to every message you posted. However, I enjoyed reading all your posts. They are very well written. We are from Taiwan, Hong Kong, Canada, United States, China and other places in the world. Our viewpoints are much better reflecting the thoughts and attitudes of the Chinese people in general. Please live your proud life and make more money by providing translation services in this year.

I am writing another post for this thread, just for keeping the record straight. I noticed this discussion has been twisted so many ways by one NZ individual, and she took more attention than she deserves. I will try to finish up my new message and post it soon.

For now, I like to say to you that it is really not our job to educate or convince a New Zealander, because her news media is managed by the people like her. By reading all her posts as whole, you should not be surprised by seeing what kind of product their media produced and the consequences took place. If you may notice, the so-called top stories in NZ are from one online news website. That's all her source to get news and fulfill her thirst to understand the world. But the news stories she enjoys reading failed to report the hard working Chinese people and their successful stories, instead, rather focusing on the crimes and malpractice of the Chinese, feeding the people like her with the news that she likes to hear, and making them sensational.

Her point here is that her county's media or the western media is not biased, and it covers the true reality. She tried to convince you that she understands the Chinese better than us and we are the people who wear "rosy tinted glasses" and "self-serving" like a "chorus". The problem is there are many things can be reported so as to reflect the real life in a balanced society, but they were only selectively reporting the bad news which particularly has to do with certain Chinese individual. Their agenda is clearly to portrait the Chinese as criminals and source of problems. Now, this NZ individual brought all those bad news here and made herself as a bad news. Whenever I see her, I know it is bad news. Everything she said and quoted here are in sync with their backward ideology and understanding about the Chinese people. We, as the elites of the Chinese people, are so excited and have happily stepped into the 2006 now, but those familiar tedious noises still can be heard to this date. Let's just look at them as from the lonely flies that are bumping on the window glass in the cold winter. The Chinese people will happily live their way as who they are and laugh all the way to the bank. I apologize for the bad experience at the beginning of the New Year, it made me felt like getting sprayed by a skunk. I hope it is considered as a good luck in New Zealand.

Kevin

[Edited at 2006-02-04 01:42]
Collapse

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:23
English to Chinese
+ ...
请勿答非所问 Feb 3, 2006

Lesley McLachlan wrote:
Why do you say that...we have a saying in English 'give other people the benefit of the doubt'

Lesley,

Does this mean that you doubted yourself about all the comments you made in that forum? (神六上天,国外尤其是海外华人反应如何?) http://www.proz.com/topic/37928?start=0

Lesley McLachlan wrote:
I have answered that question twice already, in that thread and in this thread on Feb 1. I deleted my comments because I felt my contribution looked too dominant. I considered that everything that was relevant was encapsulated in the responses of others.I don't believe that anything significant to the discussion was deleted. I am not going to use that facility in that way again...

This is not a good answer. I would rather call it a bad excuse.

Lesley McLachlan wrote:
jingoism - I will come back to that in another post. Perhaps it needs to be defined ('chauvinism' in another post caused consternation because of the Marxist dictionaries others were using...)

jingoism = the extreme belief that your own country is always best, which is often shown in enthusiastic support for a war against another country. eg Patriotism can turn into jingoism and intolerance very quickly. (Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary)

You haven't answered my questions. I don't need you to explain what are there in the dictionary. What I asked you is: “Could you please give me just one example from the comments in that forum which could be regarded as jingoism?” Did anybody on that forum say that China "is always best" and was anybody on that forum shown to be "in enthusiastic support for a war against another country"?

I would also like you to explain whether you think you are unbiased when making the comment about the "大陆来的(少数)'无产阶级黑帮朋友'青年们" at http://www.proz.com/topic/39635?start=75 .
Since you started all this, let's get through it and I hope you would not delete what you said here at a later time. Ok? Thank you!

[Edited at 2006-02-04 04:27]

chica nueva
chica nueva
Chinese to English
Yes, the Western media could be biased... Feb 3, 2006

Wenjer Leuschel wrote:
I was pointing out that the Western media just like any others could be biased. Just the same as the 'top stories' in NZ could be biased, too.

That's exactly right.Kevin told us that the Western media are biased. Let's have a look. Has no-one read those articles yet to see whether they are biased or not? What is the consensus? Bearing in mind that they are 'top stories'and that items about ordinary people doing ordinary things don't usually make 'the front page'...

I will keep you posted with more top stories as they come to hand.None today so far...

BTW Stuff is the news from all the NZ dailies plus the weekly Sunday Star Times.It should be representative of the media here. The top stories are not only the top national news stories but also international news, sport, entertainment, business, features...

chica nueva
chica nueva
Chinese to English
Something constructive... Feb 4, 2006

Kevin Yang wrote:

Thank you so much for your inputs and participation in this discussion. I was so busy with some translation jobs last couple days and was not able to respond to every message you posted. However, I enjoyed reading all your posts. They are very well written. We are from Taiwan, Hong Kong, Canada, United States, China and other places in the world. Our viewpoints are much better reflecting the thoughts and attitudes of the Chinese people in general. Please live your proud life and make more money by providing translation services in this year.

I am writing another post for this thread, just for keeping the record straight. I noticed this discussion has been twisted so many ways by one NZ individual, and she took more attention than she deserves. I will try to finish up my new message and post it soon.

For now, I like to say to you that it is really not our job to educate or convince a New Zealander, because her news media is managed by the people like her. By reading all her posts as whole, you should not be surprised by seeing what kind of product their media produced and the consequences took place. If you may notice, the so-called top stories in NZ are from one online news website. That's all her source to get news and fulfill her thirst to understand the world. But the news stories she enjoys reading failed to report the hard working Chinese people and their successful stories, instead, rather focusing on the crimes and malpractice of the Chinese, feeding the people like her with the news that she likes to hear, and making them sensational.

Her point here is that her county's media or the western media is not biased, and it covers the truth reality. She tried to convince you that she understands the Chinese better than us and we are the people who wear "rosy tinted glasses" and "self-serving" like a "chorus". The problem is there are many things can be reported so as to reflect the life in a balanced society, but they were only selectively report the bad news which particularly has to do with certain Chinese individual. Their agenda is clearly to portrait the Chinese as criminals and source of problems. Now, this NZ individual brought all those bad news here and made herself as a bad news. Whenever I see her, I know it is bad news. Everything she said and quoted here are in sync with their backward ideology and understanding about the Chinese people. We, as the elites of the Chinese people, are so excited and happily have stepped into the 2006 now, but those familiar noises still can be heard to this date. Let's just look at them as from the lonely flies that are bumping on the window glass in the cold winter. The Chinese people will happily live their way as who they are and laughing all the way to the bank. I apologize for the bad experience at the beginning of the New Year, it made me felt like getting sprayed by a skunk. I hope it is considered as a good luck in New Zealand.

Kevin

[Edited at 2006-02-03 22:32]

How about reading the articles and commenting objectively on their bias, that might be more constructive?

chica nueva
chica nueva
Chinese to English
The Chinese community is like 'the elephant'... Feb 4, 2006

Yueyin Sun wrote:

Lesley,

It sounds like as if you were unbiased. If so, how do you explain your previous comments as below? Is this also a misunderstanding?
Lesley McLachlan wrote:
A local person (a lawyer) here told me that, in his opinion, of the Asians, the old civilisations (Chinese and Japanese) adapt more easily than the newer ones (Korea, Philippines). They come, they look around and just fit in with the local way of doing things - exactly as Angus said. (We are quite a stable and conservative city, not very large - he would have been referring to HK and Taiwan settlers I think). It is not nice to compare though, is it.
估计律师先生还没遇到过大陆来的(少数)'无产阶级黑帮朋友'青年们,骗人,走私(毒品),抢人,杀死自己女朋友(可怕).也有人作假结婚移民为生意.

Thanks Yueyin. Thanks for raising it. Yes, IMO the Chinese community is like the elephant, only two aspects are referred to in the views here. The Chinese community is much larger and more varied than that. Those two aspects should be read as possible public views or perceptions, as I see it, as a commentator on the matter...

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

To celebrate Chinese New Year...

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »