A question for my colleagues: subtitle translation rates
Thread poster: Dolly Xu
Dolly Xu
Dolly Xu
Chinese
+ ...
May 20, 2003

What is the average per/minute rate for English>Chinese subtitle translations?

Yongmei Liu
Yongmei Liu  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:49
English to Chinese
+ ...
从来没翻过对白... May 20, 2003

我会按字数或按实际工作时间收钱。按字数收钱的话,我可能会在一般翻译价格的基础上加25%至50%,因为翻译对白有特殊要求。

Chinoise
Chinoise  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:49
English to Chinese
+ ...
对, May 21, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-05-20 15:30, xbbbei wrote:

对此类工作,我也觉得按照实际工作时数收价比较合理。

Chinoise
Chinoise  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:49
English to Chinese
+ ...
80-100美元 Jun 2, 2003

我问了一下同行,一小时收80-100美元比较合理。
Dolly Xu wrote:

[Edited at 2003-06-02 11:36]

Johnson Hou
Johnson Hou
China
Local time: 22:49
English to Chinese
+ ...
I'm a new comer of proz.com ,and i think 0.30USD per source word is reasonable Jul 7, 2003

Dolly Xu wrote:

Terry Thatcher Waltz, Ph.D.
Terry Thatcher Waltz, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:49
Chinese to English
+ ...
Depends on the content... Jul 7, 2003

Subtitling requires skills above and beyond normal translations: you need to consider the euphony of your wordings (they will be read to replace speech in real time, not just read as a document), there is often a limit on line length and timing, and the work often involves cutting-edge slang and language that a person not living in the target culture might have difficulty keeping current with (and thus requiring a higher level of research or collaboration). It also depends on whether the transla... See more
Subtitling requires skills above and beyond normal translations: you need to consider the euphony of your wordings (they will be read to replace speech in real time, not just read as a document), there is often a limit on line length and timing, and the work often involves cutting-edge slang and language that a person not living in the target culture might have difficulty keeping current with (and thus requiring a higher level of research or collaboration). It also depends on whether the translator is given a script in written or electronic form or is merely given the movie or program on video or in audio form. For these reasons, very often the translator will find that per-minute pricing will be more feasible than per-word.

On the other hand, there are the English subtitles of Hong Kong movies -- I think US$0.03 per word would be high for some of the pathetic quality we see on certain movies of this genre. (I'm not saying ALL of them, mind you.) But then again, US$0.03 for the extra laughs we get from some of the bloopers...maybe that's worth it!

[Edited at 2003-07-07 18:04]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A question for my colleagues: subtitle translation rates

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »