Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >
Are you managing to use AI in your work, to your benefit and the benefit of your clients?
Thread poster: Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 05:43
SITE FOUNDER
Oct 13, 2023

Are you managing to use AI (like ChatGPT or other similar tools) in your work, to your benefit? Or not? Please share details, if you care to.

(I'm asking about cases where confidentiality is not a concern and there are no client restrictions against the use of AI.)

Also, if you have decided of your own accord (and not because of any confidentiality concerns), not to use any AI tools, I would be interested to hear your reasons.

Claudia Grigolon
Claudia Grigolon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:43
Member (2023)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Helpful to assist on technical vocabulary research and studies Oct 13, 2023

I think that artificial intelligence can assist us in understanding some very technical expressions and acronyms, especially those that should or should not be translated. In other words, as a research tool.

expressisverbis
Henry Dotterer
Zea_Mays
TargamaT team

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Copy-Paste Oct 13, 2023

I'll just copy-paste my previous post in another thread (which, as I'm writing this, is still not being approved). For the record, I do consider NMT as a form of AI.

----

IMHO, using ChatGPT and co. to translate is like using a chainsaw to slice a steak. Sure, you can do that if you wanted to. But that seems a tad overkill, don't you think?

This is not to say I'm anti-AI/LLM/MT/robot/automation. In fact, I've been using Brave AI as a research assistant, and
... See more
I'll just copy-paste my previous post in another thread (which, as I'm writing this, is still not being approved). For the record, I do consider NMT as a form of AI.

----

IMHO, using ChatGPT and co. to translate is like using a chainsaw to slice a steak. Sure, you can do that if you wanted to. But that seems a tad overkill, don't you think?

This is not to say I'm anti-AI/LLM/MT/robot/automation. In fact, I've been using Brave AI as a research assistant, and I've been experimenting with Whisper to create verbatim audio transcripts for subtitling. What I'm trying to say, is to use the right tool for the right job. MT still sucks for colloquialisms, so I'm not using it.
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
expressisverbis
Zea_Mays
Metin Demirel

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
Local time: 12:43
English to Russian
+ ...
Would this involve buying a paid plan to get the most out of it? Oct 13, 2023

Then thanks, but no thank you. Plus, the ultimate benefit that a lot of people are talking about seems to be the ability to look through multiple term choices as you type. Do they come in the form of dropdown lists? I hate those; when Trados gives me those lists of varying lengths and I have to reach for the down key to navigate and then reach for Enter, I often just keep typing: this setup is annoying. Why do I have to study lists being thrown at me by a thing with no brain when I have most of ... See more
Then thanks, but no thank you. Plus, the ultimate benefit that a lot of people are talking about seems to be the ability to look through multiple term choices as you type. Do they come in the form of dropdown lists? I hate those; when Trados gives me those lists of varying lengths and I have to reach for the down key to navigate and then reach for Enter, I often just keep typing: this setup is annoying. Why do I have to study lists being thrown at me by a thing with no brain when I have most of the correct term choices in my head?Collapse

ibz
P.L.F. Persio

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Claudia Oct 13, 2023

Claudia Grigolon wrote:

I think that artificial intelligence can assist us in understanding some very technical expressions and acronyms, especially those that should or should not be translated. In other words, as a research tool.

Thanks, Claudia. If you care to share: Have you been having discussions with ChatGPT about technical terms and acronyms? What sorts of prompts do you use?

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
No Oct 13, 2023

It might be a good idea for you to address the concerns of a majority of posters here about ProZ’s how inclusion of AI on KudoZ. It has been less than warmly received. Many feel ProZ should be supporting translators at this time.

Jennifer Levey
Zea_Mays
Laurent Di Raimondo
Barbara Carrara
expressisverbis
Michele Fauble
MollyRose

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
AI is a tool Oct 13, 2023

Ice Scream wrote:

It might be a good idea for you to address the concerns of a majority of posters here about ProZ’s how inclusion of AI on KudoZ. It has been less than warmly received. Many feel ProZ should be supporting translators at this time.

As everyone knows, ProZ is and always has been on the side of the translator. AI is a tool. (As Mr. Satan said, "use the right tool for the right job".) Introducing ChatGPT into the KudoZ help network (and paying the bill for that) is, apart from being a bit of fun, a way for ProZ to help direct some of the power of AI to the benefit of our people: the linguists.

Aurélien ARPAZ
Aurélien ARPAZ
Local time: 11:43
German to French
+ ...
Lack of precision Oct 13, 2023

Dear Henri, Your question refers to the AI without further clarification. Every personal computer user has been using AI for as long as such tools have existed. So, yes, I use AI on a daily basis as a translator and also as an individual. But if you're thinking of a certain kind of AI, the answer is obviously no.Could you be more specific about what you mean by AI?

finnword1
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 11:43
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Not sure we are talking about the same thing re Chatty in KudoZ... Oct 13, 2023

Henry Dotterer wrote:

As everyone knows, ProZ is and always has been on the side of the translator. AI is a tool. (As Mr. Satan said, "use the right tool for the right job".) Introducing ChatGPT into the KudoZ help network (and paying the bill for that) is, apart from being a bit of fun, a way for ProZ to help direct some of the power of AI to the benefit of our people: the linguists.

Um ... did you happen to see the crap the tool produces and the many negative comments from linguists on that crap? The way it is integrated doesn't allow the tool to be used as it was designed for (it can't be integrated as such, as control over it is required of course). It could instead be used to take some paper work from us...

In KudoZ it is just used like a MT tool, but it delivers quite worse than GT or DeepL. Sorry, but it is not the right tool for the job.

Btw., the reason for its integration provided in the FAQ is rather offending for linguists.

[Bearbeitet am 2023-10-13 17:25 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2023-10-13 17:38 GMT]

Laurent Di Raimondo
Barbara Carrara
Jennifer Levey
expressisverbis
Michele Fauble
MollyRose
Adieu

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 10:43
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
About fun, tools and help Oct 13, 2023

Henry Dotterer wrote:

Lately, I don't think Proz is on the translators' side. I'm sorry.
And this can be seen not only with ChatGPT implemented on Kudoz Help Network. There is also a large number of members not happy with the technical issues of the site, me included.
ChatGPT is a tool, it's true, but I believe its real purpose is not to provide Automatic Translation.
From what I've seen, DeepL, Language Weaver, and Modern MT manage to be much better than ChatGPT here (at least in my working language pairs).
As for the "fun" you mention, I'm sure the community isn't finding it very funny, and as for the help it can provide to linguists, I think it has the opposite effect.
One of the many definitions is that ChatGPT is an AI chatbot that uses natural language processing to answer questions in a humanlike dialogue.
If Proz had implemented it in this way, let's say for helping us to understand certain technical terms, acronyms, abbreviations etc., it might have had better results, i.e. more positive feedback from members.
Finally, it's worth remembering that ChatGPT integrated in Kudoz Help Network has the same "privileges" (or even more) than human translators.
Treating this chatbot almost as a human is hurting us while humans and professional translators.
Please understand that I'm not against AI or technology, I just think you've used it as the wrong tool for the wrong job here.

[Edited at 2023-10-13 20:17 GMT]

Michele Fauble
Jennifer Levey
Adieu
Barbara Carrara
ibz
writeaway
P.L.F. Persio

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:43
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
AI and ProZ Oct 13, 2023

expressisverbis wrote:

Lately, I don't think Proz is on the translators' side.

And if human translation goes the way of the dodo, where does that leave ProZ?

Jennifer Levey
expressisverbis
Barbara Carrara
P.L.F. Persio
writeaway
SandraV
Philip Lees

Holger Laux
Holger Laux  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:43
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
I never do MTPE Oct 13, 2023

My approach is rather simple:

If you want to use MT, go ahead and use it. But don't bother a human translator with clearing up the mess it produces. If you want your translation done for free, that's fine. But you have to learn how to read the output.

If you want quality work done, ask a professional to do it and pay them.

But you can't have both, certainly not at a knockdown price!

ibz
writeaway
P.L.F. Persio
SandraV
Alison MacG
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
finnword1

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
I'm asking generally Oct 13, 2023

Aurélien ARPAZ wrote:

Dear Henri, Your question refers to the AI without further clarification. Every personal computer user has been using AI for as long as such tools have existed. So, yes, I use AI on a daily basis as a translator and also as an individual. But if you're thinking of a certain kind of AI, the answer is obviously no.Could you be more specific about what you mean by AI?

By "AI", I meant what is commonly regarded as "AI" (and not MT). ChatGPT and the like, for example.

I asked in general terms to allow for a variety of responses, and I am getting the sort of responses I had hoped to get. I'm trying to assess the general sentiment and state of affairs.

As background, some people here have told me they are using AI and making (a lot) more money per hour as a result. Others have told me they would never use AI. Here, too, Mr. Satan mentions using particular tools for doing research and transcription, while Holger says "I never do MTPE."

So I find this interesting and informative. I hope other readers do, too!

Simon Sobrero

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
As go freelancers... Oct 13, 2023

Michele Fauble wrote:

expressisverbis wrote:
Lately, I don't think Proz is on the translators' side.

And if human translation goes the way of the dodo, where does that leave ProZ?

Speaking of ProZ's business model, our customer is the linguist and we have no plans to change that. If translation and interpreting cease to be professions, that will probably be it for ProZ, too.

Michele Fauble

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Did you know? ChatGPT is a finalist in the translation contest (in some language pairs) Oct 13, 2023

"From what I've seen, DeepL, Language Weaver, and Modern MT manage to be much better than ChatGPT here"

I don't doubt that that has been your experience, in your language, with the types of work you've tried it on. My personal experience (testing with Japanese, non-technical stuff) is different; for me, translations produced by ChatGPT (with sufficient context) are the best so far.

I wonder how many people here are aware that ChatGPT has qualified for the finals in seve
... See more
"From what I've seen, DeepL, Language Weaver, and Modern MT manage to be much better than ChatGPT here"

I don't doubt that that has been your experience, in your language, with the types of work you've tried it on. My personal experience (testing with Japanese, non-technical stuff) is different; for me, translations produced by ChatGPT (with sufficient context) are the best so far.

I wonder how many people here are aware that ChatGPT has qualified for the finals in several language pairs in the current translation contest. This has never happened before.

Is that scary? Sure. But if I am asked my opinion, I think that we, the professionals, should seek to wield the power of large language models to do the best work we can, as efficiently as we can, for the benefit of our clients and ourselves. Pretending these tools are not useful and capable in translation strikes me as disingenuous, and unlikely to lead to good outcomes for us as language professionals.
Collapse

Simon Sobrero

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Are you managing to use AI in your work, to your benefit and the benefit of your clients?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »