Trados 6.5- no more T windows?
Initiator des Themas: Dorothee Racette (X)
Dorothee Racette (X)
Dorothee Racette (X)  Identity Verified
Vereinigte Staaten
Local time: 09:53
Deutsch > Englisch
+ ...
Dec 21, 2003

Hi everybody,

I recently started working with Trados 6.5 and have been trying to get used to the new TagEditor solution for working in PowerPoint. If I understand it correctly, this solution replaced the former T-windows (for PowerPoint, Excel etc.)
I just translated my first PowerPoint file with the TagEditor and am not quite satisfied with it. For one thing, it is painfully slow, and then I was annoyed to find that the saved target file was not set to the target language whe
... See more
Hi everybody,

I recently started working with Trados 6.5 and have been trying to get used to the new TagEditor solution for working in PowerPoint. If I understand it correctly, this solution replaced the former T-windows (for PowerPoint, Excel etc.)
I just translated my first PowerPoint file with the TagEditor and am not quite satisfied with it. For one thing, it is painfully slow, and then I was annoyed to find that the saved target file was not set to the target language when I was done. I had to manually change the language settings in every slide to spellcheck.

Has anyone already had a chance to experiment with this? Are your experiences similar? I tried to see if I could revert to the old T-windows (never thought I'd get so attached to them...), but there is an error message (Initialising error) and they can't be used.

Your input and advice is much appreciated.

Best regards

Dorothee
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Deutschland
Local time: 15:53
Englisch > Deutsch
+ ...
T-Windows should still be there Dec 21, 2003

Hi Dorothee,

Correct, but AFAIK the T-Windows for Excel and PowerPoint are still there.

I just translated my first PowerPoint file with the TagEditor and am not quite satisfied with it. For one thing, it is painfully slow, and then I was annoyed to find that the saved target file was not set to the target language when I was done. I had to manually change the language settings in every slide to spellcheck.

Why didn't you use the spell checker in TE?

Has anyone already had a chance to experiment with this? Are your experiences similar?

I did one PPT file (German>English), without any problems. The only slowdown I experienced was in preparing the file - once it was there in TE, everything went smoothly.
That said, early versions of T6.5 had a performance problem that would slow down TE signficantly - did you install the cumulative patch? Which version (build) are you using now?

I tried to see if I could revert to the old T-windows (never thought I'd get so attached to them...), but there is an error message (Initialising error) and they can't be used.

Did you register T6.5 (in your system) before starting to work with it? Given that many users have parallel installations of T5/5.5 and T6/6.5, there is a menu item which should be used to register the application to be used.

HTH, Ralf

Dorothee Racette (X)
Dorothee Racette (X)  Identity Verified
Vereinigte Staaten
Local time: 09:53
Deutsch > Englisch
+ ...
THEMENSTARTER
Thanks, and information about the patch Jan 3, 2004

Hi Ralf,

a belated thank you for your prompt response to this query before the holidays.

For anyone looking to download this patch (which made a big difference in the use of TagEditor once I installed it), the information can be found here: http://support.trados.com/view.asp?cntID=1236

Cheers

Dorothee

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 6.5- no more T windows?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »