Stron w wątku:   < [1 2 3]
Poll: Do you have a license, certificate or degree in a profession outside of translation/interpretation?
Autor wątku: ProZ.com Staff
Rebecca Garber
Rebecca Garber  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:28
Członek ProZ.com
od 2005

niemiecki > angielski
+ ...
Like Catherine, Jun 7, 2012

I have degrees in German Languages and Literatures (that's the full title), although my specialization was medieval German literature and languages.

Those degrees come in handy for my niche of handwritten documents.
However, my other speciality is patents, as I seem to have an ability to understand the schematic drawings, and I took the time to learn the dialect. Those I gained through experience.

I tried a course on translation theory, which was not helpful.
... See more
I have degrees in German Languages and Literatures (that's the full title), although my specialization was medieval German literature and languages.

Those degrees come in handy for my niche of handwritten documents.
However, my other speciality is patents, as I seem to have an ability to understand the schematic drawings, and I took the time to learn the dialect. Those I gained through experience.

I tried a course on translation theory, which was not helpful.
At this point in my career, I have work almost every day, so I really don't see a point in getting a degree/certification in translation, or doing any more theory.
But then, I'm not really interested in formal classes in any subject right now, so translation classes are probably rolled into that disinterest, as opposed to having a specific non-interest in them.
Collapse

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
Francja
Local time: 01:28
francuski > angielski
Me too! Jun 7, 2012

Ty Kendall wrote:

Lucia Colombino wrote:
and I practiced the law as a criminal

Am I the only one who read it this way at first

Lucia Colombino wrote:
and I practiced the law as a criminal (and family) lawyer

A client queried a similar sentence in my translation just the other day and I gave them some BS about it being a "deliberately thought-provoking/commercially inspiring structure"

so I really had a chuckle watching myself fall into my own trap as it were!

I'm a totally self-taught translator. I can't say I learnt anything new about translation in the theory course I did, having worked it all out for myself in the course of my career.

A curious mind and love of wandering through dictionaries and cheerful digression, along with a feel for the rhythm of the language and the culture, is plenty for the type of translations I do

Karin Hinsch
Karin Hinsch  Identity Verified
Hiszpania
hiszpański > niemiecki
+ ...
Yes, two Jun 7, 2012

Foreign language correspondent and typesetter (nowadays "media designer").

Suzanne Deliscar
Suzanne Deliscar  Identity Verified
Kanada
Local time: 19:28
Członek ProZ.com
od 2009

hiszpański > angielski
+ ...
Yes, in Law Jun 7, 2012

I created this poll, although it has been amended somewhat by the site staff. My first degree is in History and Latin American Studies, and my second degree is in Law. I actively practise law as well. I was interested to know how many translators and interpreters use non-language related educational studies as the springboard for their translation and/or interpretation work. Thanks for all the great responses.

Signe Golly
Signe Golly  Identity Verified
Dania
angielski > duński
+ ...
BA in linguistics and history (double major) Jun 8, 2012

My career in translation is primarily based on the fact that I am bilingual and have spent my life almost equally divided between the countries of my two main languages. However, I do believe that my degree in linguistics gave my resume a bit more "weight" when I was first starting out as a translator, although none of my clients have actually confirmed this directly. I think people felt more comfortable that I had a general grasp on linguistic matters, which may have given me a slight edge over... See more
My career in translation is primarily based on the fact that I am bilingual and have spent my life almost equally divided between the countries of my two main languages. However, I do believe that my degree in linguistics gave my resume a bit more "weight" when I was first starting out as a translator, although none of my clients have actually confirmed this directly. I think people felt more comfortable that I had a general grasp on linguistic matters, which may have given me a slight edge over other newbies.
Having spent four years considering the intricacies of language and its various components also gave me a bit more confidence to start out. And of course it means that I can now post diagrams and musings on questions such as 'gray vs. grey' on my facebook page and have several people actually care and engage in a discussion
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
USA
Local time: 16:28
Członek ProZ.com
od 2003

hiszpański > angielski
+ ...
Hmmm . . . Jun 8, 2012

I took the question to mean other than language-related. I am about to certify as a landscape designer after five years of study in my old age.

I also have a Ph.D. in Linguistics, but I was already a practicing translator when I went back to graduate school, and I focused my studies on courses that I thought would apply to translation. In my case, my linguistic studies have been a great help. I later taught translation theory, and my students found it very relevant, but that's proba
... See more
I took the question to mean other than language-related. I am about to certify as a landscape designer after five years of study in my old age.

I also have a Ph.D. in Linguistics, but I was already a practicing translator when I went back to graduate school, and I focused my studies on courses that I thought would apply to translation. In my case, my linguistic studies have been a great help. I later taught translation theory, and my students found it very relevant, but that's probably because I had already been translating for decades, whereas most translation theorists have little experience.
Collapse

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
Wielka Brytania
Local time: 00:28
hebrajski > angielski
The story of our lives! Jun 8, 2012

Suzanne Deliscar wrote:

I created this poll, although it has been amended somewhat by the site staff.

This is the story of anyone who would submit a poll suggestion's life. Quite why they so often feel the need to murder the wording of people's questions is beyond me.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japonia
Local time: 08:28
Członek ProZ.com
od 2011

japoński > angielski
Hear, hear! Jun 8, 2012

Ty Kendall wrote:
Suzanne Deliscar wrote:

This is the story of anyone who would submit a poll suggestion's life. Quite why they so often feel the need to murder the wording of people's questions is beyond me.

With some poll topics recently, I really wonder what the selection criteria for polls really are.
Now, when will they dig up my blockbuster poll of all polls "How often do you floss?"

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
Francja
francuski > angielski
well Julian Jun 8, 2012

Julian Holmes wrote:

Ty Kendall wrote:
Suzanne Deliscar wrote:

With some poll topics recently, I really wonder what the selection criteria for polls really are.
Now, when will they dig up my blockbuster poll of all polls "How often do you floss?"

the weekend is coming up!

Stron w wątku:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatorzy tego forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you have a license, certificate or degree in a profession outside of translation/interpretation?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »