Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Poll: Do you supplement your income as a translator/interpreter with another type of work?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Arcatrad
Arcatrad  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 01:28
Member (2010)
English to French
+ ...
Yes! Dec 3, 2010

As I'm a brand new freelance translator, I kept my in-house sales assistant job part-time. This is a security, not knowing how it's going to work...
So I work with colleagues on something totally different every morning, and I translate @ home every afternoon (and evening...and night...and week-end... Well you all know about this, I suppose

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
sort of Dec 3, 2010

I also teach English but it is only about 6/8 hours a week, so it actually does not supplement my income.
It is just to have a bit of change during the week.

Miroslav Jeftic
Miroslav Jeftic  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
:) Dec 3, 2010

Nina Khmielnitzky wrote:

Main is in-house, and I supplement my income with freelancing on weeke-ends.

Same here, except that in my case it can be any day of the week, not just weekends

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Yes. Dec 3, 2010

I give tuitions, am a writer and poet, an editor, though presently mostly for friends, and help out as librarian and councellor in a Senior Citizens' facility, aside fromm marketing my beadwork.
However, the client requesting a translation and/or editing comes first.

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Guided tours Dec 3, 2010

In addition to translating and very occasionally teaching English, I also work giving guided tours in English or Catalan of some nearby Roman ruins. It's very seasonal, so it's definitely just a supplement.

Check out the museum's website at: http://www.mac.cat/eng/Branches/Empuries

Amal Al-Arfaj
Amal Al-Arfaj
Saudi Arabia
Local time: 02:28
Member (2005)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Yes, sort of Dec 3, 2010

I sell on eBay (I'm a PowerSeller). It's more of a hobby but I still make nice money.

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:28
Flemish to English
+ ...
Software training Dec 3, 2010

Software-training and translation are complentary.
Giving training allows earning a decent income, whilst refusing trados-knibblers and low rates.

[Edited at 2010-12-03 16:38 GMT]

Oleg Osipov
Oleg Osipov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 02:28
English to Russian
+ ...
Yes Dec 3, 2010

Also employed by a US-based travel agency as a remote Travel Program Administrator. Good thing to fill in the gap at times when work flow slows down.

Veronica Lupascu
Veronica Lupascu  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to Romanian
+ ...
yes Dec 3, 2010

I do prepare logos for local companies. I am not a professional, but I have valuable results. It is a passion and also a good way of relaxing sometimes. It is also well paid.

I also consider developing small and not complicated websites. I made my own: www.glossofilia.com and I am happy with the result. Small companies like those I
... See more
I do prepare logos for local companies. I am not a professional, but I have valuable results. It is a passion and also a good way of relaxing sometimes. It is also well paid.

I also consider developing small and not complicated websites. I made my own: www.glossofilia.com and I am happy with the result. Small companies like those I am preparing the logos for do not need complicated websites, but only good looking and well written online visit cards, so it would be nice to start doing these too. I like it
Collapse

Rebecca Garber
Rebecca Garber  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:28
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
No, but... Dec 3, 2010

I work at a summer camp that teaches stunt work. I teach sword work, some tumbling, and high falls. It's definitely seasonal, and it's not for the money.
I do it to keep my stunt instruction certification and it's mostly fun.
And when we get to raise the platform for high falls to 7 meters, it's an awesome ride down.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Dec 3, 2010

Until summer last year I co-ran a weekly pub quiz, but my parter gave up on it and after six months doing it alone I found it too much bother, since I now live further from the city, although I might start it up again in the new year.
I also occasionally do a bit of EFL teaching but very rarely nowadays, as I can usually make more translating. Interpreting jobs only come my way very occasionally too, and the last voice-over I did was a few years ago.

Rolf Kern
Rolf Kern  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
No Dec 3, 2010

With me, it's the other way around. I am retired and supplement my income by doing translations.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Nope Dec 3, 2010

I need a 48 hour day just for translating, my family is my other occupation:-)

Dolors Selis
Dolors Selis  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Catalan
+ ...
I teach legal translation at University Dec 3, 2010

Being a full time translator has given me the chance to teach legal translation at University. However, although I am paid for teaching, the most important in the teaching job is the chance of learning both from the students themselves and also from other translation teachers.

Although I sometimes feel that doing both things is quite difficult, I love what I do and I think that professionally I have reached what for me is an excellent balance, both in what is a part of the time wit
... See more
Being a full time translator has given me the chance to teach legal translation at University. However, although I am paid for teaching, the most important in the teaching job is the chance of learning both from the students themselves and also from other translation teachers.

Although I sometimes feel that doing both things is quite difficult, I love what I do and I think that professionally I have reached what for me is an excellent balance, both in what is a part of the time with other people and also ion what is the chance of learning from others.
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:28
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Fledgling landscape designer Dec 4, 2010

After nearly four decades in translation (with a pension from my translation job), several years ago I became passionate about landscape design, and 2009 was the first year I reported income from my landscape design business.

But translating always takes priority, and I often find that it cuts into the time I need to devote to become a full-fledged landscape designer.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you supplement your income as a translator/interpreter with another type of work?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »