Bopomofo
Tópico cartaz: Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Local time: 00:15
sueco para inglês
+ ...
Mar 14, 2003

I just learned recently that this is a transcription system for Chinese (Taiwanese or complex Chinese). This would allow you to read Chinese with much greater facility, since you can easily look up words from a phonetic standpoint, and many books are actually published with this system in parallel.

Question: Where do I get a bopomofo dictionary and/or a book that will teach you this system, preferably from the US. Title? ISBN?

Che-che!

... See more
I just learned recently that this is a transcription system for Chinese (Taiwanese or complex Chinese). This would allow you to read Chinese with much greater facility, since you can easily look up words from a phonetic standpoint, and many books are actually published with this system in parallel.

Question: Where do I get a bopomofo dictionary and/or a book that will teach you this system, preferably from the US. Title? ISBN?

Che-che!

Many thanks Darkeol!

[ This Message was edited by:Yngveon2003-03-15 13:56]
Collapse

darkeol
darkeol
Local time: 06:15
chinês para italiano
+ ...
look at this Mar 14, 2003

Most of the dictionaries sold in Taiwan (or published by Taiwanese publishing houses) have a table with bopomofo symbols. Thus I have learnt zhuyin during my staying in Taiwan, but I don\'t know if there are books with bopomofo as main subject.

Anyway, if you just want to learn it, you can have a look at this page

http://www.omniglot.com/writing/chinese2.htm

I think it will be
... See more
Most of the dictionaries sold in Taiwan (or published by Taiwanese publishing houses) have a table with bopomofo symbols. Thus I have learnt zhuyin during my staying in Taiwan, but I don\'t know if there are books with bopomofo as main subject.

I think it will be rather OK

Best wishes
Collapse

darkeol
darkeol
Local time: 06:15
chinês para italiano
+ ...
look at this Mar 14, 2003

I think it will be
... See more

I think it will be rather OK

Best wishes
Collapse

JJW
JJW
Estados Unidos
inglês para chinês
+ ...
Bopomofo Books Mar 4, 2004

Many children's books in taiwan are indeed published with bopomofo (Zhu-yin) next to the traditional characters, this is for learning purposes for children of course. I myself have learned many words this way when I was growing up there. If you have any contacts in taiwan, ask them to get you some copies. Otherwise you can try the Chinese bookstores in Chinatowns across America. Or you may try pur... See more
Many children's books in taiwan are indeed published with bopomofo (Zhu-yin) next to the traditional characters, this is for learning purposes for children of course. I myself have learned many words this way when I was growing up there. If you have any contacts in taiwan, ask them to get you some copies. Otherwise you can try the Chinese bookstores in Chinatowns across America. Or you may try purchasing on line, the website www.book.com.tw is very good (but the site is only in Chinese, I assume you have the reading ability)they ship to the US.

Good Luck!
Collapse

chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 16:15
chinês para inglês
the 'hanyu pinyin' (romanised) system might be easier... Mar 5, 2004

Every foreigner who learns their Chinese in China uses hanyu pinyin, as do the local people...bopomofo is considered old-fashioned there now, I think.

[Edited at 2004-09-30 05:19]

Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
sueco para inglês
+ ...
CRIADOR(A) DO TÓPICO
Che-che! Sep 21, 2004

I wish to thank everyone.

Bo Smith
Bo Smith
inglês para chinês
+ ...
It has nothing to do with new-fashioned or old-fashioned. Sep 29, 2004

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

Every foreigner who learns their Chinese in Chinese uses hanyu pinyin, as do the local people...bopomofo is considered old-fashioned there now, I think.

Kids in Taiwan still start with Bopomofo (ㄅㄆㄇㄈ) in elementary schools. It has nothing to do with new-fashioned or old-fashioned. It is just regional and personal preference.

Most foreigners find it easier to learn Chinese with Hanyu Pinyin since they are already familiar with the English alphabets. However, I personally think it is more efficient and accurate to learn Chinese pronounciation with Zhuyin. Because thare are certain sounds you just cannot pronounce in Enlglish pinyin.

To unify the Chinese learning processes, people are making efforts to make the system more consistent. But if it comes down to personal choice, I would highly recommend any foreigner to learn Chinese pronounciation with Zhuyin. Or at least know about it and practice some.

Here are some good reference web sites on bopomofo:
http://www.cnpedia.com/pages/knowledge/baserule.htm
http://www.cns11643.gov.tw/web/seek_03.jsp

There are plently resources you can find from the Internet.
HTH~

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bopomofo

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »