I'm offered translation of my website into Chinese!!
Thread poster: Jianjun Zhang
Jianjun Zhang
Jianjun Zhang  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:33
English to Chinese
+ ...
Feb 1, 2006

A few days ago, I got this spam message through Proz.com:

You have been sent a message via your ProZ.com page.
Author: Award Winner English >Chinese Translation Expert with Masters Degree {Proz}
Author's Profile: http://www.proz.com/pro/XXXXX
Author's IP address: 61.246.153.82
-----------

Dear Jianjun Zhang :

Our Award Winner Native English> Chinese Translation
expert holds Masters degree in Translation from Warwick
University, UK.

We can translate your website text very professionally in
Word format, by your desired date at rate of USD 0.06 per
source word.

See resume below :

=============
Cut
=============

best regards,
XXX XXX

Amusing to be approached in this way as if Chinese is not my mother tongue!

[Edited at 2006-02-02 00:35]

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 07:33
English to Chinese
+ ...
林子大 Feb 1, 2006

Jianjun Zhang wrote:

Xiaoping Fu
Xiaoping Fu  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:33
Chinese to English
+ ...
建议 Feb 1, 2006

Jianjun Zhang wrote:

我想你应该把它转给 Herry 。

Jianjun Zhang
United Kingdom
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
已经发过了 Feb 1, 2006

多谢建议,已经发过了。:)

Xiaoping Fu wrote:

我想你应该把它转给 Herry 。

chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 11:33
Chinese to English
Why doesn't someone (the moderator?) take it up with the peer privately? Feb 1, 2006

IMO this was a matter for the moderator, not for the forum. I think it could be that a new peer has made a mistake or there is a problem with the system. From what I have seen of this peer, and I have seen the profile before,they are a good Proz member, and helping other peers in Kudoz, professional, nice, etc. I can't recall who it is exactly...

I agree with Kevin about contacting Proz management, or if Kevin has time himself, how about a friendly enquiry to the peer to get their s
... See more
IMO this was a matter for the moderator, not for the forum. I think it could be that a new peer has made a mistake or there is a problem with the system. From what I have seen of this peer, and I have seen the profile before,they are a good Proz member, and helping other peers in Kudoz, professional, nice, etc. I can't recall who it is exactly...

I agree with Kevin about contacting Proz management, or if Kevin has time himself, how about a friendly enquiry to the peer to get their side of it. It's a poor thing if we can't talk to each other within the language pair!
Collapse

Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:33
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
They used a wrong approach, and it turned into a joke. Feb 1, 2006

Hi, Jianjun and All

This is a case of volume profile email marketing went out of hand. The names and addresses of the email receivers were collected and used without any differentiation of languages. It was in their good intention to marketing translation service, but they used a wrong approach, and it turned into a joke.

Just for you all to know, the e-mail in question violates the profile mail rules. ProZ.com has been trying to stop such practice. You can imagine it
... See more
Hi, Jianjun and All

This is a case of volume profile email marketing went out of hand. The names and addresses of the email receivers were collected and used without any differentiation of languages. It was in their good intention to marketing translation service, but they used a wrong approach, and it turned into a joke.

Just for you all to know, the e-mail in question violates the profile mail rules. ProZ.com has been trying to stop such practice. You can imagine it is not an easy job to enforce such rules. When you receive similar emails in future, you can either rely it by informing the sender the violation practice of profile email rule, or block the sender. I will be happy to send an email to this sender for you about this matter.

Kevin

[Edited at 2006-02-02 06:27]
Collapse

Jianjun Zhang
United Kingdom
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Lesley, Feb 1, 2006

The problem here is, first I never know who this person is. The resume is long and tedious and I never read it before. I don't know who you are talking about. Do you think I'll report to the management if I know this person???

Sorry I can't post their address here, only the IP. But if you follow the IP you'll see it's from India (not from China of course!) and their telephone numbers are with 91 as international access code! I cut this part for obvious reasons.

They sp
... See more
The problem here is, first I never know who this person is. The resume is long and tedious and I never read it before. I don't know who you are talking about. Do you think I'll report to the management if I know this person???

Sorry I can't post their address here, only the IP. But if you follow the IP you'll see it's from India (not from China of course!) and their telephone numbers are with 91 as international access code! I cut this part for obvious reasons.

They specifically chose me (lucky) - look at my name! and sent this message. Yes, my web pages are in English, but any Chinese in the world would know from my name that I'm Chinese and my website clearly states I'm an English to Chinese translator. Right?

BTW, a message like this sent to anyone is likely to be called a spam. No matter it is wrongly sent to me or "correctly" sent to anyone else.

Not least, the proz.com mail system is not likely for people to make mistakes. And proz.com support told me they had already blocked the profile and let them contact the management team. I believe they also think this is spam.

Another thing is:

From what I have seen of this peer, and I have seen the profile before,they are a good Proz member, and helping other peers in Kudoz, professional, nice, etc.

This doesn't mean a person's integrity and uprightness. I know a guy from Beijing with an MA (although even by now he didn't get it yet). Decent looking, warm toward others by helping with Kudoz points and nice Curriculum Vitae, etc. But this guy copied exactly a sentence from Donglai's profile page and shamelessly displayed on his own - that's why last time I publicly stated I woundn't go to Beijing to attend Powwow simply because there would be someone I couldn't like.

I remember it was Donglai who helped him with the first job. I cut what he did to me. But I am not a fool and know what he did, although I helped him too. What I want to say is, a white face, a weak frame, a good degree and a perfect resume don't make a good, upright person. It is what they do under the cover, behind the curtain and in the private corner that really matters.

Regards,
Jianjun

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

I agree with Kevin about contacting Proz management, or if Kevin has time himself, how about a friendly enquiry to the peer to get their side of it. It's a poor thing if we can't talk to each other within the language pair!
Collapse

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:33
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Nothing wrong with the email. Just weird and funny. Feb 2, 2006

Privacy/confidenttialality law related personal profile? Well, law is law, but how can it be implemented? 如果不是VIOLATOR撞倒枪口上, 这种法律实际等于0。

[Edited at 2006-02-02 05:50]

jyuan_us
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
I'm a little disappointed. 因为: Feb 2, 2006

还不是太好笑。 如果那个公司发给你的简历正是你自己的, 那才真正无厘头呢。我打开你的贴子前, 我的预期真的是那样的。

Jianjun Zhang
United Kingdom
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I suddenly realized... Feb 2, 2006

that maybe posting with that resume is no good. So I cut it anyway. JYuan_US reminded me that because some agencies use translators resumes to get jobs.

James_xia
James_xia  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
A really comedy... Feb 2, 2006

Jianjun Zhang wrote:

that maybe posting with that resume is no good. So I cut it anyway. JYuan_US reminded me that because some agencies use translators resumes to get jobs.

Well, this is nothing for all the serious translators but an ablush comedy to realize that it is not likely for us to rely more on the translation agency...

Last Hermit
Last Hermit
Chinese to English
+ ...
IMHO, it's matter of marketing egotism, NO disciplinary action taken. Feb 2, 2006

Not to put too fine a point on it, the sender only struts their stuff by listing their allegedly extensive experiences in many fields, and a shinning handful of certificates/credentials earned. Apparently, there's a hungry mouth to be fed. You either give them a bit to eat or turn your back on them. You could even be more snobbish by thowing the gauntlet down to them: ok, do a test and show me your stuff first. But you could not hold them accountable for any misconduct that may lead to disciplin... See more
Not to put too fine a point on it, the sender only struts their stuff by listing their allegedly extensive experiences in many fields, and a shinning handful of certificates/credentials earned. Apparently, there's a hungry mouth to be fed. You either give them a bit to eat or turn your back on them. You could even be more snobbish by thowing the gauntlet down to them: ok, do a test and show me your stuff first. But you could not hold them accountable for any misconduct that may lead to disciplinary action. Because this is the first email, judging from your posting, they've sent to you, they should NOT be considered a spammer. They reached you via your Proz.com profile page, on which you make yourself readily and easily available to contact by posting your contact details in a most exhaustive manner. So this contact method can't be too normal. And in the email, they did NOT use any foul language. Nor did they employ any form of libel/slander, or go ad hominem. Up to now, nothing went wrong in terms of personal behaviour/conduct.

To put it simple, this could be a gawky agency/person but not a sinner/wrongdoer whatsoever.

[Edited at 2006-02-02 09:14]

[Edited at 2006-02-02 16:43]
Collapse

jyuan_us
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Agreed. Feb 2, 2006

Last Hermit wrote:

Not to put too fine a point on it, the sender only struts their stuff by listing their allegedly extensive experiences in many fields, and a shinning handful of certificates/credentials earned. Apparently, there's a hungry mouth to be fed. You either give them a bit to eat or turn your back on them. You could even be more snobbish by thowing the gauntlet down to them: ok, do a test and show me your stuff first. But you could not hold them accountable for any misconduct that may lead to disciplinary action. Because this is the first email, judging from your posting, they've sent to you, they should NOT be considered a spammer. They reached you via your Proz.com profile page, on which you make yourself readily and easily available to contact by posting your contact details in a most exhaustive manner. So this contact method can't be too normal. And in the email, they did NOT use any foul language. Nor did they employ any form of libel/slander, or go ad hominem. Up to now, nothing went wrong in terms of personal behaviour/conduct.

To put it simple, this could be a gawky agency/person but not a sinner/wrongdoer whatsoever.

[Edited at 2006-02-02 09:14]

[Edited at 2006-02-02 16:43]

Last Hermit
Last Hermit
Chinese to English
+ ...
To work around spamming Feb 3, 2006

Try this way:

LastHermit - at - hismajesty.org

If the potential client does not understand this, then he/she must be a computer-illiterate if not an idiot, and is not worth your while.

Or:

LastHermit@hismajesty.org

But then the potential client must be able to view the Chinese '@'

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I'm offered translation of my website into Chinese!!

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »