Chinese comprehensive dictionary
Initiator des Themas: Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Local time: 12:49
Schwedisch > Englisch
+ ...
Mar 26, 2002

I am looking for a good Chinese to English dictionary that will show both the Chinese characters and their transliteration in the \"head\" words. Most that I have found only have one or the other, which is not quite satisfactory. It should also have a good look-up scheme based on either stroke number or some other pragmatic device. Any suggestions as to title and author, and where in the US it may be purchased.

jinshi
jinshi
Local time: 00:49
Englisch > Chinesisch
+ ...
Kingsoft CIBA Mar 26, 2002

I made a reply last night, yet it is not here. Wonder why.

Chinese translators here prefer to use Kingsoft CIBA software to do translations.

This electronic dictionary has cute features. You may have a look at http://ciba.kingsoft.net if you understand Chinese.

Good luck!

Jinshi

Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Schwedisch > Englisch
+ ...
THEMENSTARTER
How do I type Chinese? Mar 27, 2002

Thanks for your reply. I would not know how to type Chinese, at all, unfortunately. I am not at that stage yet, and besides you would need special software to do that, I would think, or does it come with MS XP, Me, etc.?

I simply need a dictionary where I can locate Chinese words, have them translated and transliterated as well so that I know how they are pronounced. What I have is either one or the other, i.e., a dictionary that has phonetic words and their translations
... See more
Thanks for your reply. I would not know how to type Chinese, at all, unfortunately. I am not at that stage yet, and besides you would need special software to do that, I would think, or does it come with MS XP, Me, etc.?

I simply need a dictionary where I can locate Chinese words, have them translated and transliterated as well so that I know how they are pronounced. What I have is either one or the other, i.e., a dictionary that has phonetic words and their translations or Chinese stroked (character) words and their translations. The missing link is to have all three, obviously without exploding the size and format.

Same problem exists for Japanese dictionaries, however, there are excellent bookstores for Japanese in NY that can help me out.
Collapse

jinshi
jinshi
Englisch > Chinesisch
+ ...
Chinese Localization Mar 27, 2002

Perhaps you could make setup by the following procedures in your computer:

1. double click \'My Computer\';

2. double click \'Control Panel\';

3. double click \'add/delete program\';

4. click \'Windows Installation Program\';

5. check the \'enable multi-language support\' box.

Then you may try any Chinese site to see if you are able to browse Chinese characters.

If this does not work then you have to apply Windows 98 Chinese v
... See more
Perhaps you could make setup by the following procedures in your computer:

1. double click \'My Computer\';

2. double click \'Control Panel\';

3. double click \'add/delete program\';

4. click \'Windows Installation Program\';

5. check the \'enable multi-language support\' box.

Then you may try any Chinese site to see if you are able to browse Chinese characters.

If this does not work then you have to apply Windows 98 Chinese version or install Chinese Star if you want to view, edit Chinese in your computer.

Hope these can help.

Jinshi
Collapse

Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Schwedisch > Englisch
+ ...
THEMENSTARTER
Browsing and pasting vs. typing Mar 27, 2002

Thanks for the above post. I have no problem viewing Chinese.

Browsing and pasting into the dictionary is both interesting and helpful. However, it does not remove the problem of actually typing Chinese, at least not for me, which you would need when reading a book, say. How is it done? Must be a tough question to answer to a neophyte like myself, but I invite all comments.

Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Schwedisch > Englisch
+ ...
THEMENSTARTER
Chinese Star - whatis? Mar 27, 2002

The above respondent used the term Chinese Star for a software package. More details are kindly requested.

C.T.T.C.
C.T.T.C.
Englisch > Chinesisch
Dear Yngve Roennike Mar 29, 2002

1. Chinese Star you mentioned is probably the chinese word processing software. URL : http://www.cstar.com.cn

2. Sorry but assuming you do not know how to type Chinese character. There are 2 alternate ways : Scan the page and thers\'re software to recognize \'em into Chinese charater(s). (I forgot the software name. Let me check it 1st, or you can search the net using GOOGLE.com). Another way is using a sof
... See more
1. Chinese Star you mentioned is probably the chinese word processing software. URL : http://www.cstar.com.cn

2. Sorry but assuming you do not know how to type Chinese character. There are 2 alternate ways : Scan the page and thers\'re software to recognize \'em into Chinese charater(s). (I forgot the software name. Let me check it 1st, or you can search the net using GOOGLE.com). Another way is using a software package containing a real writing pad (not on-screen pad). You can write the Chiense text using your own hand without knowing how to pronouce and spell that character. (But the shape should not be too \'ugly\') Many old men and women (who know nothing about PC) are using this drawing package to write email to others. (At least for Chinese living in Malaysia). After all you \'d written, there\'re many \'similar\' characters to let you choose from. Very convenience for beginner.

Hope I help.
Collapse

Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Schwedisch > Englisch
+ ...
THEMENSTARTER
Chinese writing pad. Mar 31, 2002

Interesting! I have never seen this in operation. The problem is communicating this sort of thing to bookstores in the US. I wonder if there is one in the US that specializes in IT of PC things Chinese.

Libin PhD
Libin PhD  Identity Verified
Chinesisch > Englisch
+ ...
This site has many versions of Chinese penpads Apr 1, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-03-31 06:52, Yngve wrote:

Interesting! I have never seen this in operation. The problem is communicating this sort of thing to bookstores in the US. I wonder if there is one in the US that specializes in IT of PC things Chinese.

This site has many versions of Chinese penpads and other Chinese software, including Chinese Star 2... See more
Quote:

On 2002-03-31 06:52, Yngve wrote:

This site has many versions of Chinese penpads and other Chinese software, including Chinese Star 2001.

http://www.asiazest.com/asiazest/jsp/index.jspCollapse

chooi
chooi
Malaysia
Chinesisch > Englisch
+ ...
Chinese to English Dictionary Apr 2, 2002

I have a Chinese to English Dictionary that is excellent. You can use both stroke and PinYin system to look things up. MY parents got it for me from Shanghai (I live in Malaysia and good bilingual dictionaries are not only hard to find but also extremely expensive) . It is published by Shanghai University of Communications (I think) / Shanghai Jiao Tung Da Xue.

The ISBN No is 7-313-01757-x/H.204

Price: RMB135.00

Golden View
Golden View  Identity Verified
China
Englisch > Chinesisch
+ ...
Re: How do I type Chinese Sep 6, 2002

As I\'m not using English PC, not sure if following workable but please have a try:

Control Panel > Keyboard

double click, select \'language\' tab, then \'add\', select \'Chinese\' from the list.

Typing Chinese in an English PC should need a Chinese \'input method\'. if you can install \"Microsoft PinYin input method\" successfully, then you can start to input Chinese character, for example 马 (horse), Chinese read it as \'ma\', then input \'ma\' under P
... See more
As I\'m not using English PC, not sure if following workable but please have a try:

Control Panel > Keyboard

double click, select \'language\' tab, then \'add\', select \'Chinese\' from the list.

Typing Chinese in an English PC should need a Chinese \'input method\'. if you can install \"Microsoft PinYin input method\" successfully, then you can start to input Chinese character, for example 马 (horse), Chinese read it as \'ma\', then input \'ma\' under PinYin input mode (Ctrl+Spacebar), all Chinese characters which has pronunciation of \'ma\' will appear, for example 吗妈马嘛麻抹骂码 and many more, they all pronounce as \'ma\', then you can select the one you need, i.e. the no.3 马 (horse).

To browse above Simplfied Chinese properly, IE > View > Encoding > GB2312.

Hope above helps.

If any personal quesitons, write me at [email protected]

Collapse

Xiaoping Fu
Xiaoping Fu  Identity Verified
Kanada
Local time: 09:49
Chinesisch > Englisch
+ ...
Pin Yin Input method Sep 11, 2002

I am assuming that you know Pin Yin, if you are learning Simplified Chinese characters. Most of the Chinese character input software have Pin Yin Input method. You type in the Pin Yin for a word, the software will display all the words that have the same pronunciation, and you choose one of them to input into your text. This kind of software is helpful for the Chinese learners too, because it help you to learn both Pin Yin and characters.

Examples of this kind of software ar
... See more
I am assuming that you know Pin Yin, if you are learning Simplified Chinese characters. Most of the Chinese character input software have Pin Yin Input method. You type in the Pin Yin for a word, the software will display all the words that have the same pronunciation, and you choose one of them to input into your text. This kind of software is helpful for the Chinese learners too, because it help you to learn both Pin Yin and characters.

Examples of this kind of software are:

C-star

http://www.cstar.com.cn/web/default.asp

Richwin

http://richwin.sina.com.cn/

NJstar

http://www.njstar.com

All of them have free trail version for download. Why don\'t you have a try?

Collapse

Nicolas Rick
Nicolas Rick
Local time: 18:49
Englisch > Französisch
+ ...
Excellent dictionary Sep 25, 2002

There is an excellent Chinese to English dictionary : CHINESE ENGLISH DICTIONARY

Hanying Cidian

Beijing Waiguoyu Xueyuan Yingyu Xi

Shangwu Yinshuguan - Beijing 1978 (a bit old though)

Zhubian : WU Jingrong

There is all you need : character, pinyin and translation

Chinoise
Chinoise  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:49
Englisch > Chinesisch
+ ...
Exactly! Sep 25, 2002

Quote:
There is an excellent Chinese to English dictionary : CHINESE ENGLISH DICTIONARY

That\'s what I have been using in the \"first \" half of my life.

Betty

kin
kin
Chinesisch
+ ...
Chinese-English Dictionary Apr 27, 2003

The original Chinese-English Dictionary by the Commercial Press has been expanded.

A revised version is published by Foreign Language Teaching and Research Press.

ISBN 7-5600-0739-2

The largest one is known as Hanying Dacidian, Chinese-Engish Dictionary (Second Edition).

ISBN 7-313-02347-2

I recommend the second one because it is handy. The thrid one is good as a reference work but too tedious to use because of i
... See more
The original Chinese-English Dictionary by the Commercial Press has been expanded.

A revised version is published by Foreign Language Teaching and Research Press.

ISBN 7-5600-0739-2

The largest one is known as Hanying Dacidian, Chinese-Engish Dictionary (Second Edition).

ISBN 7-313-02347-2

I recommend the second one because it is handy. The thrid one is good as a reference work but too tedious to use because of its numerous entries. Sometimes a huge number of entries can be tedious.
Collapse

Vom Thema belegte Seiten:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Chinese comprehensive dictionary

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »