Forum "agree" button released
Thread poster: Nicholas Sahm
Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
Hmmm... Jun 22, 2018

Looks like "agreers" is back. May I ask why?

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 08:44
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Some ideas. Jun 22, 2018

Amel Abdullah wrote:

I haven't really followed all the like button/agree button situation (for me it doesn't make a difference if they exist as I don't use them) but some of the forum posters reported this button would be handier than quoting someone and saying you like their post. Maybe the button is here to accommodate them and meet their need to express liking/agreeing/etc?

Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
Agreers Jun 22, 2018

Lingua 5B wrote:

Amel Abdullah wrote:

I haven't really followed all the like button/agree button situation (for me it doesn't make a difference if they exist as I don't use them) but some of the forum posters reported this button would be handier than quoting someone and saying you like their post. Maybe the button is here to accommodate them and meet their need to express liking/agreeing/etc?

I'm talking about something different (number of "agrees" vs. "agreers").

[Edited at 2018-06-22 08:56 GMT]

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Portrait icons Jul 3, 2018

Ugly and impractical, IMO. Revert back to previous version, please.

Nuno Rosalino
Katalin Horváth McClure
Arabic & More
Barbara Carrara

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:44
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Somebody clearly has too much time on their hands... Jul 3, 2018

While there are much more important things that should be fixed around the site, this "Agree" button seems to be high on the developers' priority list. The newest change is these circular icons with distorted images of those who click the "Agree" button. Could this be stopped once and for all?
Please revert back to showing the count, it is much more practical.
Also, please change the label to "Agrees" (Instead of "Agreers"), as it was suggested before. You can trust us on that, we ar
... See more
While there are much more important things that should be fixed around the site, this "Agree" button seems to be high on the developers' priority list. The newest change is these circular icons with distorted images of those who click the "Agree" button. Could this be stopped once and for all?
Please revert back to showing the count, it is much more practical.
Also, please change the label to "Agrees" (Instead of "Agreers"), as it was suggested before. You can trust us on that, we are linguists, after all.

[Edited at 2018-07-03 20:46 GMT]
Collapse

Mirko Mainardi
Arabic & More
Helen Shiner
Barbara Carrara

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Agree Jul 3, 2018

I agree with Mirko, Katalin and Lincoln, which is why I won't hit that button and have my portrait added to the "agreers" list (yes, make that "agrees").

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
emotionalizing Jul 4, 2018

I understand that triggering any emotions is also a part of ProZ feedback, yet I'd like to have an interface option to remove those childish--Oops!--uberprofessional icons.

Thank you

Mirko Mainardi
Italy
English to Italian
This Jul 4, 2018

Katalin Horváth McClure wrote:

Somebody clearly has too much time on their hands...

While there are much more important things that should be fixed around the site

Seriously...

..... (X)
..... (X)
Local time: 16:44
Recent changes Jul 4, 2018

The recent changes related to the agree button (user images) came from a project completed by two high school students who just finished a 1-week internship at the ProZ.com head office in Syracuse. It was their first experience programming and they chose what they wanted to work on.

Personally, although I didn't have a chance to work with them, I think it is very impressive what they were able to learn and accomplish in one week! I'm sure they were both proud to see their cha
... See more
The recent changes related to the agree button (user images) came from a project completed by two high school students who just finished a 1-week internship at the ProZ.com head office in Syracuse. It was their first experience programming and they chose what they wanted to work on.

Personally, although I didn't have a chance to work with them, I think it is very impressive what they were able to learn and accomplish in one week! I'm sure they were both proud to see their changes released on the live site. If they were able to do that in a short week I am confident they have a bright future ahead.

Obviously your feedback about the site is always appreciated, but please bear in mind to keep it professional. You never know who is reading.
Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Meta Arkadia

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
not honourable laboratory rodents Jul 4, 2018

Thank you, Kevin. New exp and seeking to be special or unique is ok, but mutual respect is bilateral and rather double-edged concept, and you know most participants read the deemed professional forums with funny pokemon-like icons, and so they say it.

Alright, if I get it right, in a week or two the interns could easily add 'Turn
... See more
Thank you, Kevin. New exp and seeking to be special or unique is ok, but mutual respect is bilateral and rather double-edged concept, and you know most participants read the deemed professional forums with funny pokemon-like icons, and so they say it.

Alright, if I get it right, in a week or two the interns could easily add 'Turn the stuff OFF' option, yes?

TY

[Edited at 2018-07-04 16:26 GMT]
Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:44
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
@Kevin – Why context is so important Jul 5, 2018

Kevin, thank you for providing more context.
In that spirit, I will try to organize my response around the topic of context.

My personal context:
I got my first software development job when I was 15. It was a one-month summer job, in today’s terms an “internship”. I developed a program to process shipping data for a transportation company. Even though I worked on much bigger and much more significant projects after that gig, it still holds a s
... See more
Kevin, thank you for providing more context.
In that spirit, I will try to organize my response around the topic of context.

My personal context:
I got my first software development job when I was 15. It was a one-month summer job, in today’s terms an “internship”. I developed a program to process shipping data for a transportation company. Even though I worked on much bigger and much more significant projects after that gig, it still holds a special place in my heart. After 35 years, I am still proud of it.
Fast forward a few years - while I was doing my Masters degree, I went back to teach computer programming at my old high school, and loved it. Several of my students excelled, won national competitions in programming and now are in prominent IT positions at companies across Europe and the US. Some of them started their own IT businesses and are very successful. So, I think I have a good understanding of the motivational value of doing meaningful work at such a young age. Therefore, I do appreciate and applaud your (you=ProZ.com) efforts to provide these students with an opportunity like this. Bravo!

However, I feel that you failed these kids in multiple ways.

For one, you failed to teach them the importance of quality, since you released the “icon” feature while it is not working correctly (meaning, the images are distorted). This is irresponsible. The forums are one of the truly public areas of ProZ, (anybody can see them, without logging in), and they are continuously indexed by search engines and preserved in “digital history”. Nobody likes their profile photos being misused this way.

One of the most important lessons students can learn at an internship is how things in real life are different from things in school. In the context of real life, real work, it is only the end result that matters, not the effort. There are no trophies for everyone. Your work either cuts it, or it doesn’t. The Agree button works well, it is a success; the portrait icons are not. That feature was never requested, neither seems to be welcomed, and on top of it, it is not even working correctly. By letting the kids work on that idea, and then by approving the public release, you pretty much set them up for failure. I don’t think that qualifies as professional conduct by a manager. They are high school kids, they do not have the appropriate decision making context - the experience and foresight - regarding issues like this. It is their manager who should make the decisions and bear the consequences. In the context of negative consequences, IMHO, it is unprofessional and unfair to use the kids as your excuse.

You failed to teach them that once you release a feature and its description (first post of this thread) you don’t just go ahead and change things. That creates inconsistency between the description and the actual feature, and confuses people. In the context of software development that would be an “undocumented change”, and it is a big no-no.

Finally, the context of this thread.
I get it that you are disappointed by the tone of some of the comments, but you need to understand the context of the comments. ProZ is an advertising platform for us: it is a service that helps us show the world who we are and what we can do. Naturally, we are very sensitive to any changes you introduce on the platform that affects our public representation. We can be emotional when you do something that directly or indirectly may or does hurt our reputation or public image. We care deeply about how you conduct yourself as a business, because our success depends on your success. It is in our best interest that you choose strategies and spend your development efforts on things that help us, because then we can and will help you back (by sticking around, paying membership, and providing valuable content.) It is a symbiotic relationship, and we all need to keep that in mind. When you seem to play around and waste R&D resources while they are badly needed elsewhere, that is like showing us the middle finger, so you shouldn’t be surprised by strong reactions. “You reap what you saw.”

I hope you will write a glowing recommendation letter for these young interns to help them with their college applications. They, indeed, did well.

At the same time, show them and us, that you do care about your users. Please remove the portrait icons and go back to the specs that were described in the first post, get rid of the weird wording of “Agreers”, and let’s all have peace.

Thanks
Katalin

[Edited at 2018-07-05 02:31 GMT]
Collapse

Andy Watkinson
Mirko Mainardi
mughwI
Arabic & More
Jennifer Levey

Mirko Mainardi
Italy
English to Italian
Professionalism Jul 5, 2018

Katalin Horváth McClure wrote:

That feature was never requested, neither seems to be welcomed, and on top of it, it is not even working correctly. By letting the kids work on that idea, and then by approving the public release, you pretty much set them up for failure. I don’t think that qualifies as professional conduct by a manager. They are high school kids, they do not have the appropriate decision making context - the experience and foresight - regarding issues like this.

Agreed. As for me, I just think that letting high schoolers tinker with what is supposed to be a professional (and paid for) service for a school project is not... a good idea. As is guilt-tripping users because they reacted negatively to something that is unwelcome, was never requested or announced (but that seems to have become the norm...) and could (and should) simply have never been anticipated or imagined.

MollyRose

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 14:44
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Kudos Jul 5, 2018

Kevin Dias wrote:... I think it is very impressive what they were able to learn and accomplish in one week!

I wholeheartedly "agree." And I also think it is an excellent idea to let the kids do it. And to the ones who objected to the whole idea of letting kids do this to a "professional" website, I'd like to note that this website is written and read by translation professionals, would-be professionals, interested people, and complete idiots.
Not necessarily in that order, though.

Cheers,

Hans

Christopher Schröder
Henry Dotterer

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 15:44
Chinese to English
+ ...
Unbelievable Jul 5, 2018

Kevin Dias wrote:

Personally, although I didn't have a chance to work with them, I think it is very impressive what they were able to learn and accomplish in one week! I'm sure they were both proud to see their changes released on the live site. If they were able to do that in a short week I am confident they have a bright future ahead.

Obviously your feedback about the site is always appreciated, but please bear in mind to keep it professional. You never know who is reading.

I'm not sure what's more shocking - that you're having let high school students who have never programmed before design a website feature for professionals, or that you actually act like it's something you should be proud of. I'm shocked that you even have the nerve utter the word "professional", when you just declared how proud you are to not act like one.

Even more absurd is that in response to criticism to this unannounced, unasked-for and unwanted feature, you address nothing about the feature itself but talk about how it was made by two high school students so we should all be nice and don't say bad things about it, as though the fact that it was made by high school students changes anything about its nature. The way that you are trying to deflect responsibility onto these teenagers and play the guilt trip game is absolutely disgusting. This is willful exploitation of these kids, trying to make them take the blame while using them as a shield against criticism, behavior that is absolutely unbecoming of an adult.

We don't care who made the features, we care that the state of its implementation is abysmal and that you are using teenagers as a shield. The buck stops at ProZ management's desk and you need to stop making this kind of excuses and blaming them on your interns, which is utterly despicable and revolting.

MollyRose

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Forum "agree" button released

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »