Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >
New like / share buttons in ProZ.com forums? (Staff: "Not yet")
Thread poster: John Fossey
Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 22:43
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I cannot see them under posts, but I can sen see under Kudoz May 23, 2018

Ivana UK wrote:

After changing my settings I was finally able to see the Like and Share buttons but didn't get a chance to test them as they disappeared again the next day!

Is anyone else still seeing them or have they been removed?

I cannot see them here under individual posts. But I can see them blurry in Kudoz links.
My social network settings are disabled. At least I hope they are still disabled.

I'm totally against connecting FB, LinkedIn or Twitter, Google etc. with Proz.
2 things came to my mind: money and creating big data.

I wrote a previous post about this: "I was very surprised when I saw ...."

https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_technical_support/324353-what_you_are_working_on_something_strange_with_what_proz_shows.html#2720860

If members on Proz want a Like button (I agree), it should be a Like button that can be used only on proz.
No "Share" and "Like" via other platforms, websites and social networks.

Bests,
Katalin Szilárd

[Edited at 2018-05-23 13:07 GMT]

Ivana UK
Ivana UK  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:43
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Thanks Katalin May 23, 2018

Katalin Szilárd wrote:

I cannot see them here under individual posts. But I can see them blurry in Kudoz links.
My social network settings are disabled. At least I hope they are still disabled.

Just checked Kudoz terms and you're right, they're visible there but are no longer visible in the forums.

My social network settings are currently enabled so I should be seeing them but I don't understand why you're seeing them if you have disabled yours - something is definitely not right!

And why do Like and Share only appear under the poster's question and not the proposed Kudoz answers? This means we can only 'like' the question but not the answer. Surely it should be the other way round?

Ivana UK
Ivana UK  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Maybe blurry = settings disabled? May 23, 2018

Katalin Szilárd wrote:

But I can see them blurry in Kudoz links.
My social network settings are disabled.

I can see them very clearly so that's probably the distinction - you can still see them but they're blurry or greyed out as your settings are disabled.

AllegroTrans
AllegroTrans  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
What is needed now... May 23, 2018

is for ProZ to poll all of its fee-paying members and to ask them clearly:-

(a) Whether they want these links to social madia, with all that that implies
(b) Whether they want "internal" Proz-only like buttons

I for one will definitely consider cancelling my subscription to this site if there is even the slightest risk of anything I post or my data getting onto the likes of Facebook. I don't use social media and I regard ProZ as a professional site that should hav
... See more
is for ProZ to poll all of its fee-paying members and to ask them clearly:-

(a) Whether they want these links to social madia, with all that that implies
(b) Whether they want "internal" Proz-only like buttons

I for one will definitely consider cancelling my subscription to this site if there is even the slightest risk of anything I post or my data getting onto the likes of Facebook. I don't use social media and I regard ProZ as a professional site that should have no connection with social media.
Collapse

Enrique Manzo
Enrique Manzo
SITE STAFF
What these buttons do and how to use them May 23, 2018

Hi there,

I see that there have been some concerns about the recently added social media buttons, what they are and how they work.

How do I enable or disable social media sharing?

Go to the contact section of your profile updater. Go to Social networks (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook). There you will find the option Disable social network features. Select thi
... See more
Hi there,

I see that there have been some concerns about the recently added social media buttons, what they are and how they work.

How do I enable or disable social media sharing?

Go to the contact section of your profile updater. Go to Social networks (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook). There you will find the option Disable social network features. Select this option to disable this feature or unselect it to enable it.

How do I use these buttons?

To share your content in a certain social network, simply click on the icon corresponding to that site, add some free text and click on the “post” button. If you do not see the icon of your social networking site, click on the ”share” button. This will open an overlay for you to see all available social networking sites.

What do these buttons do exactly?

They insert the URL of the content you are sharing in a social media post with the option to include additional comments if you wish. There is a confirmation step after clicking on the share button for any given social network, so you can preview what you are sharing before you share it. This is simply to make it easier for users who are already sharing to their networks (usually via copy and paste of the URL) to do so.

The “Like” button

The “like” button is a quick way to express that you approve or agree with something. This button had initially been implemented, but then it was decided not to move in that direction.

I understand that what you are requesting is a button designed by ProZ.com that gives you an easier way to agree with something and find relevant information. This will be taken into account for future implementation.

I hope this explains.

Let me know if you have any concern.

Best regards,

Enrique

ProZ.com Staff
Collapse

AllegroTrans
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
Thank you Enrique May 23, 2018

This clarifies how the media buttons work, but from my point of view it doesn't reassure me that even if I never use the buttons, nothing I have posted on the ProZ site can ever be seen on Facebook or some other social media site. I think this is a highly important and sensitive issue and I fear that ProZ has not properly explored it. If for example another user "likes" something that I have posted on the site, isn't it the case that my post and my data can end up on a social media site?
<
... See more
This clarifies how the media buttons work, but from my point of view it doesn't reassure me that even if I never use the buttons, nothing I have posted on the ProZ site can ever be seen on Facebook or some other social media site. I think this is a highly important and sensitive issue and I fear that ProZ has not properly explored it. If for example another user "likes" something that I have posted on the site, isn't it the case that my post and my data can end up on a social media site?

As things currently stand and unless there is a cast iron gurantee that this cannot happen, I am considering terminating my membership. I have no confidence whatever in social media in the light of what has happened over the last couple of months and I do not want my ProZ activity to be in any way visible to a social media site.

Detailed response please from ProZ senior management!
Collapse

Stephen Fennell

Enrique Manzo
Enrique Manzo
SITE STAFF
This information can be shared pasting the URL on a social media post May 23, 2018

Dear AllegroTrans,

If someone shares a forum thread to Facebook, or Twitter, or LinkedIn, or another social network, what appears is the link to the forum thread and (usually) the title of the thread. In order to see further information, one must follow the link to the forum thread itself. Sharing the thread does not transmit any other information about the thread or those participating in it.

To be clear, this kind of sharing has been going on for a very long time-- fo
... See more
Dear AllegroTrans,

If someone shares a forum thread to Facebook, or Twitter, or LinkedIn, or another social network, what appears is the link to the forum thread and (usually) the title of the thread. In order to see further information, one must follow the link to the forum thread itself. Sharing the thread does not transmit any other information about the thread or those participating in it.

To be clear, this kind of sharing has been going on for a very long time-- for quick poll discussion threads to be shared on social media is a common example. These sharing buttons, which were first introduced on ProZ.com in 2010 (see https://www.proz.com/topic/155731 ), make it easier for those who use a given network to share in this way, without having to copy and paste the URLs (which is also still a common way that people are sharing information or discussions of interest in their networks).

This is what others will see when a thread is shared on Facebook (either by pasting the URL on the post or using the buttons).

Best regards,

Enrique

ProZ.com Staff
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Nobody can guarantee that May 23, 2018

AllegroTrans wrote:

As things currently stand and unless there is a cast iron gurantee that this cannot happen, I am considering terminating my membership. I have no confidence whatever in social media in the light of what has happened over the last couple of months and I do not want my ProZ activity to be in any way visible to a social media site.

Detailed response please from ProZ senior management!

Given that the Proz forums are public, nobody can guarantee that nothing from a forum can be posted anywhere else, with or without social media buttons. Anyone can share a link to a post wherever they like.

When I clicked on the now removed Like button, nothing showed up in my Facebook activity log, but such a function should not be connected to external sites at all. I too dislike the increasing integration between sites via social media or other functions. One ends up no longer being in control of one's data and credentials or understanding how it all fits together when it's all tied together in increasingly complicated and opaque ways, and if one site is hacked, suddenly they all are. No thanks.

Furthermore, the social media I do use are private (and their contents kept to a minimum and all posts, likes and comments – virtually all limited to friends – deleted after a month) and should under no circumstances be connected to my Proz profile in any way whatsoever. For the moment, I use only one single computer, so it should not be presumed that anything I do on Proz should be related to my private logged-in social media accounts.

Stephen Fennell

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
OK, but... May 23, 2018

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Given that the Proz forums are public, nobody can guarantee that nothing from a forum can be posted anywhere else, with or without social media buttons. Anyone can share a link to a post wherever they like.

OK, but you have to concede that there's quite a big difference between having a button that "automatically" shares something somewhere else (which also acts as some sort of "reminder" to share), and not having it...

Furthermore, the social media I do use are private (and their contents kept to a minimum and all posts, likes and comments – virtually all limited to friends – deleted after a month) and should under no circumstances be connected to my Proz profile in any way whatsoever. For the moment, I use only one single computer, so it should not be presumed that anything I do on Proz should be related to my private logged-in social media accounts.

A healthy approach. Just out of curiosity, if you care to share, you can PM me.

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Well, no May 23, 2018

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

OK, but you have to concede that there's quite a big difference between having a button that "automatically" shares something somewhere else (which also acts as some sort of "reminder" to share), and not having it...

Just out of curiosity, if you care to share, you can PM me.

Well, no, I don't actually see the real difference between clicking on a button to share something and copying a link manually to share something. The difference is only technical. The result is the same. It's not the button that makes the decision to share "automatically", but the person.

Not sure what you want me to share, but do tell.

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
CTA May 23, 2018

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

Well, no, I don't actually see the real difference between clicking on a button to share something and copying a link manually to share something. The difference is only technical. The result is the same. It's not the button that makes the decision to share "automatically", but the person.

If that were the case, then advertising would not exist... More specifically, this is akin to a "call to action" prompt.

You wrote about "private social media" that delete their contents after one month, so you got me curious...

P.S. is the 'target="_blank"' attribute not working?

[Edited at 2018-05-23 19:52 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
CTA May 23, 2018

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

If that were the case, then advertising would not exist... More specifically, this is akin to a "call to action" prompt.

Right, I see what you mean. But either something is public, or it is not. If you wanted to keep something private, it wouldn't be a good idea to write it in a public forum and hope that nobody shared it manually. Once it's public, you can no longer control who reads it or posts a link elsewhere.

[quote]Mirko Mainardi wrote:
You wrote about "private social media" that delete their contents after one month, so you got me curious...

AllegroTrans
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
Fact remains May 23, 2018

... that I don't want to see an "automatic" sharing button on this site at all. I paid my subscription to join a professional site, not something linked to social media. This facility is simply not needed.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Disagree, absolutely. May 23, 2018

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

The button makes it easier, quicker and more likely to be shared.

For instance, at Facebook events you may see 50 people clicking "going" while only 5 people will appear at the actual event. If they were required to write an email about their decision to attend the event, I'm sure the announced 50 would have dropped to at least 10 or 5. For "going" status, all it takes is one click - it may also be accidental or just compulsive for people spending a lot of time on Facebook. Writing an email requires more engagement and time. And appearing at the actual event requires full engagement.

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Email not needed May 23, 2018

Lingua 5B wrote:

The button makes it easier, quicker and more likely to be shared.

For instance, at Facebook events you may see 50 people clicking "going" while only 5 people will appear at the actual event. If they were required to write an email about their decision to attend the event, I'm sure the announced 50 would have dropped to at least 10 or 5. For "going" status, all it takes is one click - it may also be accidental or just compulsive for people spending a lot of time on Facebook. Writing an email requires more engagement and time. And appearing at the actual event requires full engagement.

You don't need to write an email to copy a link and paste it on Facebook, and the result is exactly the same as if you use a social media button.

And I'm not sure how relevant it is to compare "going to an event" with rather "dry" Proz forums.

But I have no need for sharing buttons. I actually don't care whether or not they are included.

The only thing I'd like to see is a Like button without external connections.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New like / share buttons in ProZ.com forums? (Staff: "Not yet")

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »